2 Pages V   1  2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
attn: people who cook a lot
RH
post Aug 28 2014, 07:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

do any of you use an electric coil stove and if so, how is it? and if any of you have cooked on both gas and electric coil, how do they compare?

I've only used gas and only want to use gas. I'm also looking to move, and the best best place I've seen (location is perfect, price is good, size is good, owner seems good) has an electric coil stove and i'm letting it be a big hangup for me, apparently.

is it really as bad as i think it will be? for example, i make my own yogurt, which requires heating milk to about 170-180f and holding it there for twenty minutes. how hard will that be to do on an electric coil?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Injun
post Aug 28 2014, 07:19 AM
Post #2

boner mcgee

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 139

My mom makes yogurt on our electric stove back home, should be fine.

--------------------
QUOTE (SkankinLibrarian @ May 29 2009, 01:49 PM) *
i dont have a facebook
facebook is for faggots

+Quote Post
Mengde
post Aug 28 2014, 09:47 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 845

I had coils in my last place and they're okay to use once you get a feel for how they heat up differently, but it sucks lose the ability to do things like fire roast peppers.

On the plus side, you can take knife hits off the coil.

--------------------

QUOTE (SkankinLibertarian @ Sep 9 2009, 08:30 PM) *
sorry for trying to culture you

+Quote Post
sellout
post Aug 28 2014, 12:37 PM
Post #4

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10

I think you're just hung up on what you know. They both heat up a pan. This isn't like the difference between charcoal and propane.

+Quote Post
RH
post Aug 28 2014, 02:05 PM
Post #5

eh, multiple people on thefacebook are saying that they wouldn't move into any apartment with an electric stove, so I think it's more than just being hung up on what I know.

+Quote Post
Mengde
post Aug 28 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 845

QUOTE (RH @ Aug 28 2014, 01:05 PM) *
eh, multiple people on thefacebook are saying that they wouldn't move into any apartment with an electric stove, so I think it's more than just being hung up on what I know.

You can a least see a coil, the newer flat electric ranges are featured in multiple of my nightmares

--------------------

QUOTE (SkankinLibertarian @ Sep 9 2009, 08:30 PM) *
sorry for trying to culture you

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Aug 28 2014, 11:03 PM
Post #7

Terrible. Just terrible.

Member No.: 9,850

Glass top electric stoves fucking blow and they will crack. Gas gives a more easier to clean and provide q more even heating surface.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sellout
post Aug 29 2014, 01:01 AM
Post #8

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10

Stove hipsters are a thing?

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Aug 29 2014, 01:07 AM
Post #9

screenplay!

Member No.: 38

I'll take an electric coil over a gas stove any day. They heat up differently like others have said, but they seem to be a lot more even. Gas stoves are more super low, slightly less super low, slightly less than slightly less super low, then very hot and extremely hot. Electric coil actually diminishes as its supposed to.

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Aug 29 2014, 01:08 AM
Post #10

screenplay!

Member No.: 38

Ps no almost-but-not-quite turning it off then accidentally blowing up your apartment like with a gas stove.

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
guitara
post Sep 3 2014, 08:11 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 779

Used to have gas, now have electric- not a big deal at all and definitely wouldn't factor it into choosing a place to live.

If I had to pick, I guess I'd pick gas, but the difference really is negligible. Also, it's kind of nice only have an electric bill instead of electric and gas.

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Sep 3 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #12

Failure, Complete and Utter.

Member No.: 711

Gas stoves result in more fires and deaths than electric stoves. Gas stoves are the leading cause of fire in residential homes.

Unless you're a chef get the electric stove, its cheaper, safer, easier to clean and bakes more evenly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On & On & On
post Oct 31 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,738

Beep Boop. 3 years, 2 months, 1 week, 4 days.

--------------------
Bot Version 1.2: Would You Be Impressed if my shitty raspberry pi didn't lose internet connectivity twice a week?

+Quote Post
Voox
post Nov 2 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #14

The Real Reason Hitler Tried to Kill Jews.

Member No.: 117

Fascinating discussion up in here. Rich, what did you decide to go? Has your mind been changed about electric stoves since this post? Please give us a full write-up and report on your cooking experiences in your new place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RH
post Nov 6 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Voox @ Nov 2 2017, 10:43 AM) *
Fascinating discussion up in here. Rich, what did you decide to go? Has your mind been changed about electric stoves since this post? Please give us a full write-up and report on your cooking experiences in your new place.

haha. I feel like this is saying i write too much about things no one cares about, so let me prove you right. i ended up moving to a place with an electric coil (don't know if it was the one that prompted this post or not) and it was fine. i didn't like it as good as gas, but it was okay. I've since moved to a place with a glass top electric and holy shit, i can't believe i'm saying it but electric coil is way better. i don't like this at all. i still say "the next place i move to has to have gas" which will last as long as it takes for me to start looking and seeing the places i can afford has electric.

from what i can tell, the electric coil stove in its current form was invented in the early 1900s. How is it that the best of 1906's electric stove technology has not been improved in over a century?

As it happens, i own a condo unit with gas (the place from which i was moving when i made this post) and recently replaced the stove. i didn't get an extra fancy one, only like two or three steps above the bottom of the line (out of eight or ten steps) and man, i want to cook on that thing so bad.

I still make my own yoghurt, though i took a two year break when i switched jobs in 2016 and had less time. i really like paprika-based braises these days, am trying to get more veg and legumes into what i cook, and started a few weeks ago trying to bake breads (with moderate success).

i need someone to pay me to just mess around in the kitchen.

+Quote Post
yepyep
post Nov 8 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 910

Do you ever watch America's text kitchen? Could be your dream job.

--------------------
Tokenly gay

+Quote Post
RH
post Nov 16 2017, 07:19 AM
Post #17

Yeah, I like American's Test Kitchen a lot, but haven't been able to watch in awhile. My parents get Cooks Illustrated and I read most of the magazine when i'm home. I'd love to work there.
Good Eats, though.

+Quote Post
Voox
post Dec 27 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #18

The Real Reason Hitler Tried to Kill Jews.

Member No.: 117

No, I am totally with you. Electric stoves are meh and glass top ones just suck. Gas all the way. Only tried making yogurt once and it was mostly a fail. So... respect on that front. Also, I'm pretty sure Eric (whose screen name I can't remember, but went to school at SCAD) is super in bread baking. That is something I'd love to get into because bread is fucking delicious.

I used to be super into cooking but haven't cooked in years now and really suck at it. sad.gif I can make a solid breakfast taco, an ok stir fry, and a great grilled cheese tho.

Just curious-- how much or little of a hassle is it to rent out your condo? Do you use a property management company?

--------------------

+Quote Post
RH
post Jan 6 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #19

did you use a thermometer when you tried to make it? temp control is rule #1. if you were using it.. it may be related to the milk you were using (i've heard that ultra pasteurized won't take) or the incubation time/temperature.

re: renting the condo: i use a management company and it is not much of a hassle for me since they handle the calls if there's a problem. there have been a few, but the place is in decent shape so it's not like something needs to be repaired or replaced every few months (the stove replacement i mentioned above was my choice -- it wasn't broken, just really old and looks it and doesn't present well in a viewing). the management company also does the tenant search, so they vet the applicants and then send me the info on them for approval. They only stressful part is if it's vacant for a stretch and there doesn't seem to be much interest. That would happen with or without the management company, though.

Do you have a place you're thinking of renting out?

+Quote Post
yepyep
post Jan 9 2018, 12:56 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 910

QUOTE (RH @ Jan 6 2018, 04:50 PM) *
did you use a thermometer when you tried to make it? temp control is rule #1. if you were using it.. it may be related to the milk you were using (i've heard that ultra pasteurized won't take) or the incubation time/temperature.

re: renting the condo: i use a management company and it is not much of a hassle for me since they handle the calls if there's a problem. there have been a few, but the place is in decent shape so it's not like something needs to be repaired or replaced every few months (the stove replacement i mentioned above was my choice -- it wasn't broken, just really old and looks it and doesn't present well in a viewing). the management company also does the tenant search, so they vet the applicants and then send me the info on them for approval. They only stressful part is if it's vacant for a stretch and there doesn't seem to be much interest. That would happen with or without the management company, though.

Do you have a place you're thinking of renting out?

I have 2 townhomes I rent out and don't use a rental company for. It's not much of a hassle, but it is stressful when they go vacant. I would say don't plan on having it be a big income maker though. It's more about holding and selling later or once you've paid it off you'll make money. I get $300 cash flow on 1 and about $500 on the other. $800 extra a month sounds great! But if one thing breaks, or it goes vacant for a month or two, your profits are gone.

Edit: Are you still in Austin? If so, the airbnb market is crazy there. I have friends that do it and rent their house (granted it's big) out for $750 a night. I have friends in Boston that took their long term rental and turned into an Airbnb and make $20K more a year that way.

This post has been edited by yepyep: Jan 9 2018, 12:58 PM

--------------------
Tokenly gay

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1  2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 11:57 AM