IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
LOST - 6.07 - Dr. Linus
bamfer23
post Mar 9 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 71

Ben deals with the consequences of an uncovered lie.

And what lie would that be? One of his 50 million he's told throughout the show?!?

Either way, it's a Ben episode. That's awesome. I love Ben.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cockass
post Mar 9 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,063

the previews said he's going to meet his demise?! !!

only problem is, all of my lost tuesday buddies are home on spring break. that means i'll probably be drinking alone tonight.

--------------------
L'enfer, c'est les Autres.

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Mar 9 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #3

"I wonder if he has anything good on him..."

Member No.: 916

If Ben does die in this episode, I'm predicting it'll be at the hands of Crazyclaire.

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow Evermore @ Feb 20 2009, 11:36 PM) *
WILL YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP BLAARG I'M BUSY TRYING TO BE COOL ON THE INTERNET
QUOTE (jpmillman @ Oct 28 2009, 11:42 PM) *
That rules. You rule. High five.

+Quote Post
cockass
post Mar 9 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,063

i really liked this one... probably my favorite so far this season. alternate reality ben is great.

--------------------
L'enfer, c'est les Autres.

+Quote Post
BetterThanYou
post Mar 9 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 28

ben is awesome! great episode. Has he finally changed his ways though? that's the question.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JP Penney
post Mar 10 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #6

suave & sexy

Member No.: 885

Ben has always been my favorite character, he's probably the most dynamic character in the show.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 10 2010, 01:02 AM
Post #7

screenplay!

Member No.: 38

He would be my favorite if they didn't keep switching his personality. He was so interesting when he was this guy who was always completely honest, but only ever told half-truths... if he told you someone, you knew he was telling the truth, but you were still looking for the lie, because god damn if he wasn't going to screw you somehow.

But then they decided to turn him into a one-dimensional prototypical villain who lies whenever he feels like it. INCREDIBLY less interesting, and now I feel no heart for the character because I never ever know if what he's feeling is genuine. Is he really sad he got his daughter killed? Or is it just part of a big scam? I could feel for the guy, at least, if I knew he was being honest about being all sadface about his daughter dying.

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Nocley
post Mar 10 2010, 01:28 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,750

I felt the whole plot in the alternate universe went kinda nowhere today. Sure we learned that the science teacher didn't blow him self up, and Alex is still alive, but just...the whole blackmailing thing didn't really do much for me

--------------------
QUOTE (tobias19 @ Sep 19 2010, 01:09 AM) *
you are the worst. evey timw you say something, a little bit of ghandi dies. tha's the worst thing thatr could happen to todays's society. today we wneed more ghandi because he was qa ahuge fan of peace! and whne you say shit, I think i'm going to die. thanks you.

+Quote Post
bamfer23
post Mar 10 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #9

I liked this one a lot...I really liked the alternate timeline story, too. It was an interesting parallel to the Ben we know already, and how his mind works a little differently.
It was also cool to know that him and papa Linus WERE on the island at some point, but left before it went kaboom.

Also, we got semi-confirmation that Richard came to the island via The Black Rock. And that is fucking cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MIKE DAVIS!
post Mar 10 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 261

great episode.

the two things that the alternate reality timeline set up were 1) as jeff said, the island did exist at some point, and 2) the alt reality timeline is a right-decisions kind of thing. remember ben was saying all he cared about was his power and he let alex die because of it, and then alt reality ben makes the OPPOSITE decision, forsaking his power so that way she is better off. the same can be said for the locke timeline (he's 'content'), the jack timeline (he's not turning into an alcoholic like his pops), etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nocley
post Mar 10 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,750

Also, we learned about how richard got his power/ability to not age, so does that mean that Jack and everyone else who was touched by jacob also can't age anymore?

--------------------
QUOTE (tobias19 @ Sep 19 2010, 01:09 AM) *
you are the worst. evey timw you say something, a little bit of ghandi dies. tha's the worst thing thatr could happen to todays's society. today we wneed more ghandi because he was qa ahuge fan of peace! and whne you say shit, I think i'm going to die. thanks you.

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 10 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #12

screenplay!

watching it now.

it really took them THAT long to be like "Hey, maybe we should get the guy who talks to dead people to have a little chat with our dead beloved leader and savior. just for the hell of it? I mean, why not?"

They really, really seem to forget that Miles has that power ALL THE TIME-- or rather, when it's convenient.

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 10 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #13

screenplay!

I'm almost through the episode, and it's actually pretty good... but I'm not buying the alternate timeline premise.

Everyone knows really poor kids go to school for free. It's such a great deal. And no one's future hinges on one letter of recommendation-- something that "Dr." Linus would surely be aware of. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal these days (or at least you run a huge risk of getting sued) to give anyone a bad recommendation. Lazy writing. I like the parallel between him letting alex get killed for power and him maybe letting alex's life go up in flames for power... but it's a shame they didn't put more thought into it to make it good.

edit: and why not just wait till he'd written a good letter of recommendation and then be like "Yeah, I'm still gonna torch you if I don't get your job. make that happen."

great idea. bad execution. poor BKV.

This post has been edited by sonofaresiii: Mar 10 2010, 03:52 PM

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
bamfer23
post Mar 10 2010, 03:52 PM
Post #14

why not just wait until Alex is gone, and then blackmail the principal NEXT year?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 10 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #15

screenplay!

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Mar 10 2010, 03:39 PM) *
edit: and why not just wait till he'd written a good letter of recommendation and then be like "Yeah, I'm still gonna torch you if I don't get your job. make that happen."

great idea. bad execution. poor BKV.

QUOTE (bamfer23 @ Mar 10 2010, 03:52 PM) *
why not just wait until Alex is gone, and then blackmail the principal NEXT year?

were you elaborating on my point or just hadn't seen it? because yeah that's what I was getting at.

SEE JEFF? SEE? LAZY WRITING ON LOST!!

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Danny
post Mar 10 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 78

Because he didn't think before he acted. Didn't realize that Alex was going to ask for the recommendation after what she said in the library. Didn't think Reynolds would have anything to hold over him. It's not that difficult to believe he didn't have every aspect of his plan thought out. He acted on impulse to go after the power. He acts on impulse by killing Jacob. They were paralleling the two.

My friend has a really interesting theory about the flashsidways. He thinks that they are the alternates offered to people. They really emphasize the conversation between "Locke" and Sayid in the jungle when "Locke" asks him "What if you could see Nadia again?" Theoretically, these flashes would be whatever bargain he makes with the characters... Doesn't he say something about Jacob running a hard bargain? Couldn't it make sense that so does he...?

The idea of not being able to kill yourself if Jacob touches you, but then having someone else be able to kill you is strange. Jacob definitely touched Locke when he was thrown out the window. Does this mean that if Locke had actually tried to kill himself when Ben talked him out of it, that he wouldn't have been able to? In fact, does this suggest that even though we never saw it happen, Jacob came to Michael earlier in life and that's why Michael couldn't kill himself when he left the island?

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Mar 11 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #17

"I wonder if he has anything good on him..."

Member No.: 916

I'm thinking that the "gift" from Jacob might be different for different people. I don't see any suggestion that the rest of the 6 are living forever (granted, it has only been a few years...)

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow Evermore @ Feb 20 2009, 11:36 PM) *
WILL YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP BLAARG I'M BUSY TRYING TO BE COOL ON THE INTERNET
QUOTE (jpmillman @ Oct 28 2009, 11:42 PM) *
That rules. You rule. High five.

+Quote Post
bamfer23
post Mar 11 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #18

L-O-FUCKING-L

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucCTvICxD7c

--------------------

+Quote Post
BetterThanYou
post Mar 11 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (bamfer23 @ Mar 11 2010, 01:19 PM) *

Haahaha I was actually just about to post this. Totally awesome. I spent like 30 minutes last night trying to find more of those "Secrets of Lost." They are all pretty great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Danny
post Mar 11 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0O9NVCVMwo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2018 - 01:13 AM