IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
MOVIE OF THE WEEK 3/2-3/9, NETWORK - FUCK I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M LATE ON THIS AGAIN
sonofaresiii
post Mar 4 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #1

screenplay!

Group: Members
Member No.: 38

Super sorry guys, I've been moving all weekend. Upside is my apartment is really super awesome in a crazy cool area... downside is moving is literally hell and expensive as all fuck. So fucking expensive.

Anyway, here we go!

NETWORK

CODE
A television network handsomeally exploits a deranged former anchor's ravings and revelations about the news media for its own profit.

This is regarded as one of the best written movies of all time (literally every writer I've ever admired has listed this, and Paddy Chayefsky as hugely inspirational) by one of the best directors of all time. I'm kind of ashamed to say the first time I saw it I didn't enjoy it that much but I'm really looking forward to giving it a second chance, just because I'm SUPPOSED to like it so much.

Winner of FOUR Academy Awards
Best Actor - Peter Finch (first posthumous acting award)
Best Actress - Faye Dunaway
Best Supporting Actress - Beatrice Straight
Best Writing - Paddy Chayefsky

Nominated for
Best Picture - Howard Gottfried
Best Actor - William Holden (holy shit it got TWO best actor nods? I didn't even know that)
Best Supporting Actor - Ned Beatty
Best Director - Sidney Lumet (this guy is really fantastic, one of the last greats)
Best Cinematography - Owen Roizman
Best Editing - Alan Heim

Aaaaand GO!

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanuckaruk
post Mar 4 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,983

Alright. Im just as late for this, and it was my pick. But it worked out waiting till this week anyway since I was visiting my sister in NYC for the past few days. But now its movie time.

--------------------

Son, you don't have bad luck. The reason bad things happen to you ... is because you're a dumbass. Now fix it!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 4 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #3

screenplay!

Member No.: 38

Oh cool you should have hit me up, I would've bought you a drink and by that I mean made you help me move.

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Kanuckaruk
post Mar 4 2014, 05:26 PM
Post #4

It was my first time ever visiting the city, but I cant imagine that its any kind of treat to try and move in or out of that place.

--------------------

Son, you don't have bad luck. The reason bad things happen to you ... is because you're a dumbass. Now fix it!

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Mar 4 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #5

Terrible. Just terrible.

Member No.: 9,850

so i started torrenting it, had to wade through 15 pages of social network before i found one of this movie.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Voox
post Mar 4 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #6

The Real Reason Hitler Tried to Kill Jews.

Member No.: 117

Where's the download link?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Mar 4 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #7

Terrible. Just terrible.

Right Here

--------------------

+Quote Post
Voox
post Mar 5 2014, 11:53 PM
Post #8

The Real Reason Hitler Tried to Kill Jews.

Member No.: 117

Skankin being helpful? Must be a lemonparty link.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kanuckaruk
post Mar 6 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #9

Finally popped this one in after work today. I had head alot of hype about how great Network was, but I have to say I did not love the film as much as I though I might.

That being said, it was a very well made movie and I did like it. The writing was sharp and Peter Finch was outstanding. I would have liked to have seen more of him as his scenes were the most powerful in the film. The rest of the movie around Finch seemed to roller coaster from keeping my attention to me drifting off waiting for him to reappear. The Max and Diana stuff was okay, but I could have done with less of them and more drama at/related to the network. There was a good deal of discussion about the flick in the original thread dealing with whether or not it felt dated or was still relevant. I think the themes of the film are certainly still relevant, but I do agree that elements of the movie's overall production do feel a bit dated. It doesn't detract from the movie though, as I think it really has to be looked at in the context of its time. Over all, I am glad I picked this one (just for Finch's performance) instead of just retreading over something like Pulp Fiction that I have seen countless times. I may even hold the dvd a few more days and give it another spin this weekend before I send it back to Netflix.

This post has been edited by Kanuckaruk: Mar 6 2014, 08:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Mar 7 2014, 08:06 AM
Post #10

Terrible. Just terrible.

yeah. it was a bit dated. the whole Max and Diana thing reminded me of Spike Lee's he hate me. Like there are two stories being told and the only reason they are relevant is because a character overlaps.... but neither plot is relevant to the other one.

also before the whole arab are taking over thing (but really its the corporations), I felt like this movie had absolutely no point, no conflict, no message, no nothing. like hey here's 80 minutes of prologue for a 30 minute story.

This post has been edited by SkankinLibrarian: Mar 7 2014, 08:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
HolyGuacamole
post Mar 8 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,000

QUOTE (SkankinLibrarian @ Mar 7 2014, 05:06 AM) *
yeah. it was a bit dated. the whole Max and Diana thing reminded me of Spike Lee's he hate me. Like there are two stories being told and the only reason they are relevant is because a character overlaps.... but neither plot is relevant to the other one.

also before the whole arab are taking over thing (but really its the corporations), I felt like this movie had absolutely no point, no conflict, no message, no nothing. like hey here's 80 minutes of prologue for a 30 minute story.

I disagree

--------------------
And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.

we should play starcraft o.o

+Quote Post
HolyGuacamole
post Mar 9 2014, 09:30 AM
Post #12

I'll totally post something more thoughtful when I'm not about to go to work... which also happened yesterday

--------------------
And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.

+Quote Post
HolyGuacamole
post Mar 12 2014, 01:42 PM
Post #13

Okay so let's see...

Still relevant themes
- Depersonalization of people

- Money as the dominant language. We are no longer loyal to our country. The wealthy and corporations hold allegiance to Money, everything else is a distraction. Money supersedes human life, morality, etc)

- Entertainment as distraction from reality. The biggest illusion is that everything is going alright in the world. We are all too caught up with video games, the internet, television and film... we don't spend as much time as we could with our family and friends. People that care about us are there, but we are too busy enjoying easy, hollow entertainment.

- We ignore wider political and social issues, because we don't feel that we can affect change by ourselves. Yet there are people that care about these issues as well... they are just a few doors down, or just outside in that crazy thing called reality.

The worst thing about this movie, is that it didn't change the landscape. It just captured the ugliness and despair of American life, and corporate and media control. But not much has changed.

Now we have reality TV shows. We still look for shock and want to observe the horrors of the week... a school shooting, a terrorist attack at a marathon... TV hasn't changed much, and we haven't either. We are still the viewers and the masses still gobble it up (Hopefully we do what we can to have alternative views and ideas though)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2018 - 01:39 PM