Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Fitness Thread
sonofaresiii
post Feb 27 2015, 04:01 PM
Post #41

screenplay!

Group: Members
Member No.: 38

It's basically got as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. It's really not bad, nothing to be afraid of. It's got some other shit in it too that really just helps give you energy, they're all a little different and if you're interested in them it's best to try a few different kinds and see what works best for you.

The other chemicals they add for the most part just help keep the energy going instead of giving you a rush and burning out. But just like coffee, obviously you can overdo it especially if you're not used to it. You wouldn't drink four cups of coffee immediately before a work-out, so don't down a shit ton of pre-workout mix/drink. If it's making them jittery, they're either using really, really cheap knock-off stuff with mystery chemicals or they're downing it like crazy. Like any supplement, you can't just dump more in your body to get more gainz. But some people try to anyway.

I don't use them. Maybe if I was much more advanced in my training and had a ton more money to blow, I'd find some benefit from them, but for your average-intermediate gym goer I think you're not gonna see much benefit. If anything, just go drink a cup of coffee.

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 27 2015, 04:03 PM
Post #42

screenplay!

I should add, just so we're all clear, it's solely to give you energy. It (most of them anyway) has zero muscle-building or fat loss ability. If you've had a long day or have a really, really intense work-out it might help get you through it. But essentially you're just drinking coffee that's slightly better for working out.

This post has been edited by sonofaresiii: Feb 27 2015, 04:03 PM

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sellout
post Feb 27 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #43

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10

Just get Roxylean. It's a sketchy pill that has 450 mg of caffeine. I used to take it to wake up at work if I'd stayed up late the night before and it kept me wired for like 8 hours. If I wasn't physically doing something, it was hell though. You almost HAVE TO run several miles to make yourself tired at the end of the day.

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 27 2015, 04:56 PM
Post #44

screenplay!

well, yup, that'd do it.

5-hour-energy is my go-to energy supplement. It's the only one I've found that gives me a steady stream of just... being awake-ness and not sluggish, versus like coffee or energy drinks that have a huge burst and then crash.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
HighonFez
post Feb 27 2015, 05:04 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 612

I took 5 hour energy once and I couldn't physically focus on the words of my textbook. I think maybe caffeine just ain't my drug (though a little gets the job done sometimes). I don't think I'm gonna get into the preworkout game. It's just a product that people can sell because it has "benefits" that other products "don't" for whatever thing people want to do. It's actually really funny to me now that they were talking about it in Marketing without actually talking any about how it's a product that has been marketed to them really fucking well. loldinosaur

This post has been edited by HighonFez: Feb 27 2015, 05:05 PM

--------------------

Hep, Hep.

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Feb 27 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 11,112

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Feb 27 2015, 04:56 PM) *
well, yup, that'd do it.

5-hour-energy is my go-to energy supplement. It's the only one I've found that gives me a steady stream of just... being awake-ness and not sluggish, versus like coffee or energy drinks that have a huge burst and then crash.

5-hour energy is the only to have ever given me jitters.

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 27 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #47

screenplay!

QUOTE (HighonFez @ Feb 27 2015, 05:04 PM) *
I took 5 hour energy once and I couldn't physically focus on the words of my textbook. I think maybe caffeine just ain't my drug (though a little gets the job done sometimes). I don't think I'm gonna get into the preworkout game. It's just a product that people can sell because it has "benefits" that other products "don't" for whatever thing people want to do. It's actually really funny to me now that they were talking about it in Marketing without actually talking any about how it's a product that has been marketed to them really fucking well. loldinosaur

I definitely wouldn't recommend pre workout for you, you're a pretty tiny guy to start with. And yeah maybe caffeine just isn't your thing anyway.

Anyway pre-workout does have a lot of benefits, I'm not knocking it, it's just not for everyone. I think people just try to cram whatever supplements they hear about down their throat to get bigger gains, instead of just doing it the hard way. I don't blame them, it's hard to find good info at there and there's definitely a draw to do whatever you see the big guys in the gym doing.

Like I said if my training were more intense, and I had the cash to spend, I'd probably see benefits from it. But it's kind of like buying really expensive running shoes. I'm sure they make your feet feel GREAT and if you're training for a marathon it might help alleviate some pain... But twenty dollar wal mart shoes are fine for most people.

QUOTE (dumbducky @ Feb 27 2015, 05:22 PM) *
5-hour energy is the only to have ever given me jitters.

To each their own. It's weird because it's the only caffeine supplement that doesn't make me jittery.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
HighonFez
post Feb 28 2015, 11:39 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 612

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Feb 27 2015, 07:53 PM) *
you're a pretty tiny guy to start with

Harsh, dude.

--------------------

Hep, Hep.

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 28 2015, 11:44 AM
Post #49

screenplay!

relevant:

I discovered the svunt shake yesterday.

It's a shake recipe (apparently well known) that's made up of a bunch of super easy+cheap ingredients, hits all the macro ratios really well and is 2k calories.

It's amazing. I'm kind of bummed I'm starting my cut tomorrow because I've had so much trouble getting in my calories and this solves all my problems so easily.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 1 2015, 10:11 AM
Post #50

screenplay!

I'm starting my cut today! Wish me luck!

It's going to be interesting. I don't think I've ever really done a proper cut. When I was younger it was the old "I'm gonna lose weight and get strong!" kinda thing which is dumb. Once I figured out what I was doing I was pretty much always trying to bulk.

To be honest I'm not entirely ready to stop my strength/muscle gains but I'm getting really tired of my gut, so I'm going to try and lose some fat for the summer and get to a place where I'm happy, without losing too much muscle, then start bulking again, probably around next fall or mid-summer (depending how the cut goes).

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 1 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #51

screenplay!

also i weighed in at 180 lbs today which is the first time i hit that weight, so that's cool. nice round number to work down from.

This post has been edited by sonofaresiii: Mar 1 2015, 08:07 PM

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Wreck
post Mar 1 2015, 11:49 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 12,426

Alex how tall are you?

It's funny you just found out about the svunt shake. I just read about that today. I don't have too much trouble fitting in all my calories since my TDEE is pretty low but it might be something to look into if I ever have any trouble. I hate Sundays - eating for me has become so structured and it's the one day I don't track calories and just try to eat around maintenance since I haven't worked out since Friday.

Do you guys know any good grip strength exercises that worked for you? I'm stalling out my deadlift at 205 but it's almost entirely because my grip isn't strong enough to hold onto the bar after 2-3 reps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 2 2015, 05:25 AM
Post #53

screenplay!

i'm 5'10"

you can look into straps or use mixed grip if you're not doing it already.

i actually don't do any grip exercises, i haven't found it to be limiting me at all (yet). but i've heard a lot of people recommend reddit.com/r/griptraining

although realistically i think one of those grip exercise thingies that has the coil in it should be fine.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 2 2015, 01:06 PM
Post #54

screenplay!

I'm doing a 10-week fitness challenge for my cut, so what the hell might as well share the pictures here too.

180 lbs. Looking pretty soft... excited to cut it down. I was gonna wait until 185 lbs but eh, I'm tired of my gut.

note: the code thingy i'm holding is just confirmation for the fitness challenge

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sellout
post Mar 2 2015, 04:23 PM
Post #55

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10

What's the stuff on the notebook paper? Good luck, man. Pictures are good motivation for keeping up your progress. So what weight are you striving for within that 10 week period?

This post has been edited by sellout: Mar 2 2015, 04:24 PM

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Mar 2 2015, 04:44 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 11,112

QUOTE (Wreck @ Mar 1 2015, 11:49 PM) *
Alex how tall are you?

It's funny you just found out about the svunt shake. I just read about that today. I don't have too much trouble fitting in all my calories since my TDEE is pretty low but it might be something to look into if I ever have any trouble. I hate Sundays - eating for me has become so structured and it's the one day I don't track calories and just try to eat around maintenance since I haven't worked out since Friday.

Do you guys know any good grip strength exercises that worked for you? I'm stalling out my deadlift at 205 but it's almost entirely because my grip isn't strong enough to hold onto the bar after 2-3 reps.

I sort of had the same problem when I started lifting heavy about a year ago. I never did anything specifically for grip strength. I just kept at it and took the time to readjust my grip if it started to slip. Now I'm at the point where my grip is far from the limiting factor. Pretty much any exercise with a barbell or dumbbell will work your forearms and your grip.

I also hurt my back doing deadlifts the other day. I think it was because I tried to do too much weight without doing a full warmup, but I also realized it might be because I don't have much flexibility. Anyone do any stretching as a purely flexibility exercise? How'd that work?

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 2 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #57

screenplay!

QUOTE (sellout @ Mar 2 2015, 04:23 PM) *
What's the stuff on the notebook paper? Good luck, man. Pictures are good motivation for keeping up your progress. So what weight are you striving for within that 10 week period?

Thanks dude I'm pretty excited. I'm just doing the fitness challenge for fun, really it's going to be until whenever I feel like I've cut enough to start bulking but I'm going for 1-1.5 lbs so by the end of the ten weeks I should be around 165-170. But I've never done a proper cut before so if I start losing too fast I'll back off. I worked hard as hell to get my strength up so I'm wary of losing it.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Mengde
post Mar 3 2015, 02:38 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 845

QUOTE (Wreck @ Mar 1 2015, 10:49 PM) *
Alex how tall are you?

Don't be a coward and use straps. Do farmers walks with a plate pinch grip not dumbells, make a cheap wrist roller if your weight room doesn't have one, do more wrist curls, if for some reason you've been using gloves or chalk quit that bullshit so you can build callus.

Please don't use straps though

Edit: forgot to ask about your grip, if you're using a sumo grip cut that shit out and start using an over under grip.

This post has been edited by Mengde: Mar 3 2015, 02:39 PM

--------------------

QUOTE (SkankinLibertarian @ Sep 9 2009, 08:30 PM) *
sorry for trying to culture you

+Quote Post
Mengde
post Mar 3 2015, 02:46 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 845

QUOTE (dumbducky @ Mar 2 2015, 03:44 PM) *
I also hurt my back doing deadlifts the other day. I think it was because I tried to do too much weight without doing a full warmup, but I also realized it might be because I don't have much flexibility. Anyone do any stretching as a purely flexibility exercise? How'd that work?

Stretching for flexibility is the most helpful thing you can do for your generall athleticism, and you should be doing a pretty lengthy stretch program after any workout.

You're probably right about your flexibility hurting your deadlift. From how you describe yourself I'm guessing you aren't starting deep enough in a squat nor keeping a big enough chest. You really shouldn't be putting any stress at all on your back if you start deep enough and keep good form. Something that could help you short term while you build flexibility would be to take your shoes off while you deadlift. It'll put you an extra inch or so closer to the ground and that can only help

--------------------

QUOTE (SkankinLibertarian @ Sep 9 2009, 08:30 PM) *
sorry for trying to culture you

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Mar 3 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #60

screenplay!

QUOTE (Mengde @ Mar 3 2015, 02:46 PM) *
You really shouldn't be putting any stress at all on your back

I may be misunderstanding you, but deadlifts are primarily a back exercise, so I don't know how you get around not putting stress on it. Obviously you can put stress on it in the wrong way or on the wrong part, but it's going to be working your back. It'll work your legs too, but that's not the main focus. (this is also why it's not the best idea to do deadlifts on your back day, then immediately do legs the next day... I do it anyway, but I shouldn't, and when I get higher in my dl I'll probably stop)

Also I don't think there's anything wrong with using straps at certain weights, even the pros do it. Sure, strengthen your grip as well, but in the mean time don't neglect your lifts just because you're afraid someone will think you're a "coward."

Pretty much all the research I've seen has said:

1) Use the overhand grip until it doesn't work for you anymore, then switch to mixed grip

and 2) Use straps when you need to, and while you build your grip strength, but don't ONLY use straps forever

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3  4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2018 - 01:37 AM