Reply to this topicStart new topic
Star Wars - Episode VII - The Force Awakens, Official Thread
sonofaresiii
post Dec 15 2014, 09:10 AM
Post #21

screenplay!

Group: Members
Member No.: 38

Here's some examples of cgi you'd have never known was there.

http://www.snotr.com/video/3610/Sneaky_green_screens

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sellout
post Dec 15 2014, 09:36 AM
Post #22

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10

And here are some cases where CGI wasn't used where you might've thought it was:

1. Nolan dropped a plane from the sky.
2. Skyfall's fighting on speeding trains.
3. Amazing Spiderman web slinging was wires and a system of winches.
4. Tobey Maguire totally caught all of Mary Jane's lunch, with help of an adhesive on the tray, as well as 156 takes until he got it right.
5. In the Matrix reloaded, when the guy jumps on the car and it implodes and flips, it was actually a car rigged to implode on itself mixed with a series of ramps. So a mix of practical and CGI.
6. Jurassic Park's kitchen raptor scene was guys in suits for part of it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20320_7-ama...ent-cgi_p2.html

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Dec 15 2014, 10:51 AM
Post #23

screenplay!

Okay, a couple things.

First, I'm highly suspicious of some of those examples. I guarantee you they did not put actors or even stunt doubles on speeding trains to fight. I'd be shocked if Nolan actually dropped a plane out of the sky, but I don't particularly remember what was shown so maybe they kinda did. Also nolan's just pretentious enough to do it. And tobey catching the food... well... kinda. He definitely didn't take 150 takes. That's just ridiculous. Did they use camera trickery to have him catch specially made props? Yeah maybe. What this comes down to is practical effects likely enhanced with computer imagery. So that's cool!

But the rest of your stuff just serves my point. It's all heavily assisted with cgi. Garfield didn't really swing around nyc. He was on wires and they used cgi to make it look real. The jurassic park dinosaurs mixed practicals with cgi.

So really it's a case of using cgi well to help tell the story, not just animating all of it. Using cgi itself isn't in any way an indicator of the quality of the movie. It's how it's used. Are they animating Yoda to jump around like a ballet dancer? That looks shitty. Are they helping spider-man swing through new york? That looks awesome.

Shitty cgi is shitty. Great cgi is great. Shitty practicals are shitty. Great practicals are great.

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sellout
post Dec 15 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #24

Banned

Yeah, I'm with you Alex on all those points. CGI and practical effects are classy as fuck, especially when you can't tell.

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Dec 15 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #25

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 693

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Dec 15 2014, 08:10 AM) *
Here's some examples of cgi you'd have never known was there.

http://www.snotr.com/video/3610/Sneaky_green_screens

See man though, this is sort of my point.

The best CGI can be is "you don't even notice it". The beauty of the practicals in Star Wars, or any of the horror movies I mentioned is in huge part that I DO notice it.

"Holy shit, look at that alien/spaceship/monster/head exploding! That was so fucking sweet! Somebody made that with fucking liquid latex and corn flakes and condoms or...fucking whatever!"

I'm sure there are a lot of guys who would fight me to the death on the artistic merit of graphic design,but for me, at the end of the day the creation of a physical effect (even a kind of lousy one), is much more awesome to me than an excellent CGI one that it never even occurs to me to be impressed by.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Dec 31 2015, 02:09 PM
Post #26

screenplay!

Hey guys, look what thread I found while looking for the old NYE thread! Let's see how our predictions turned out....

QUOTE (?Rorshach? @ Nov 29 2014, 02:45 AM) *
My favorite part is the way that the rebellion has obviously developed into the superior force who can afford to develop advanced weapons and technologies (i.e. the new xwings) while the empire is struggling and left with decades old vehicles (the classic tie fighters).

Kind of! The Resistance is being funded by The Republic, while the First Order isn't... but the First Order somehow has the funds to develop a death star PLANET and also those do look like updated tie fighters

QUOTE (sellout @ Nov 29 2014, 03:28 AM) *
I know you were joking but maybe that sith really is just being cautious by having the guards. If the empire are running scared and the sith are all but non-existent, maybe he haphazardly put his saber together in secret without really knowing what he was doing. The way it sputters and cackles might be a sign of that too. That theory is from the internet but it makes some sense to me.

Nope. At least, no indication of this and he seems to have training from both a master jedi and master sith, so no reason to believe he put together a shoddy lightsaber.

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Nov 29 2014, 04:55 AM) *
imperial aren't just a ragtag group, they've still got at least somewhat trained military/militia. They've still got a whole operation, not like the rebels who had, like, maybe some helmets if they could find them. And some jumpsuits.

Yep! They're a strong force to be reckoned with, not just a struggling little faction.
Or the alliance has co-opted stormtroopers/armor.

Nope

Anyway, I'm super excited for this movie. I don't know if it will be the amazing masterpiece or whatever we all want it to be, still making people's favorite movie lists forty years from now... maybe it will, maybe not but I do think it'll be a fun movie either way.

We'll have to wait forty years to be sure, but I think I nailed this: not a cinematic masterpiece, but a hell of a lot of fun

QUOTE (SkankinLibrarian @ Nov 29 2014, 05:15 AM) *
Looks dumb and cheesey. Seriously this is going to me average at best.

No you're dumb

QUOTE (?Rorshach? @ Nov 29 2014, 04:02 PM) *
I don't give a shit how or why this nameless new sith got a fucking claymore lightsaber, what I care about is how (s)he connects with our heroes. So maybe this dumb new lightsaber doesn't matter at all, but if screen time is wasted watching this person build it, or talking about why it is the way that it is, or really if it's ever addressed at all, to me that will be a weak point in the film.

I think they did a great job of connecting the villain with the heroes, and you were spot on about the lightsaber not being addressed.

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Nov 29 2014, 04:14 PM) *
But that said, I'm all for a rogue Jedi/Sith being like "fuck elegance let's duke it out." If that's the way the story goes. I don't think Vader was ever that guy in the OT, but I could see a brash young Sith going that route. But like you said, the story needs to be there to back it up.

didn't happen, but I don't think it hurt the story. The lightsaber gimmick was... there, but pretty much a non-issue.

also I can't find it but I said something about how I'd be interested to see how they merged new cgi/modern cinema look with old worn vehicles... i think it worked really well. It felt like a modern movie about old stuff, with a star wars feel for sure.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Mengde
post Jan 2 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 845

This is a New Hope with a better first act. Really woulda liked to see Abrams actually try

--------------------

QUOTE (SkankinLibertarian @ Sep 9 2009, 08:30 PM) *
sorry for trying to culture you

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Jan 16 2016, 10:32 AM
Post #28

No one should do any of this

Group: Psych Ward
Member No.: 295

I liked it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tigershark
post Jan 17 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,594

spoilers ahead!

i've seen it a couple of times and i noticed that r2d2 wakes up the first time that him and rey are at the same location. and in the flashback with the lightsaber, it showed luke touching r2d2. and the first time bb8 saw him, it was like he knew who he was. and kylo ren mentioned how odd it was that bb8 was willing to show the map to her. based on all of this, i believe that luke has figured out some way to make droids force sensitive and that rey and luke have hung out before.

This post has been edited by tigershark: Jan 17 2016, 06:01 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (tigershark @ Sep 3 2008, 02:18 AM) *
I DON'T SMOKE
I DON'T DRINK
I DON'T FUCK
AT LEAST I CAN FUCKING THINK

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 17 2016, 09:01 PM
Post #30

screenplay!

Fan theories have been flying but abrams has said that R2 went cold, and woke up when he did, just because it served the story and no other reason.

He could have been full of shit (he's done that before), or some other writer may pick up on it, but it sounds like he didn't intend on anything more

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sellout
post Jan 18 2016, 09:47 AM
Post #31

Banned

I got the Blu-Ray collection. Isn't it crazy how Ep 1 is 17 years old now? I was surprised I still knew most of the lines word for word. We only had the VHS of The Phantom Menace growing up so Iwatched it a lot, compared to only having seen Ep 2 and 3 once or twice. So nostalgia bias aside, Ep 1 really wasn't all that bad. I watched it last night as if I was watching it in the theater for the first time in 1999.

Good:
- John Williams not fucking around with the new soundtrack and subtle sprinkling of the the original trilogy themes.
- Darth Maul being characterized as a silent antagonist. Also, his light saber reveal was probably one of the biggest geek-outs at the time for those who didn't have that part spoiled. Ray Park did all his own stunts too which lended itself towards there being:
- Some of the best light saber dueling ever. It makes Vader and Ben Kenobi in Ep 4 look like 2 old men hobbling over themselves. Sure, it's over the top and there isn't any great dialog during, but Maul's attack was the first in hundreds of years and so it makes sense that Qui Gon and Obi Wan would be strictly reacting, rather than waxing poetic at their encounter.
- Pod race scene interestingly didn't have a musical backing track other than the whirring of the pod-racers. It made the whole thing more immersive.
- Droid army personification:

Qui-Gon: "I'm ambassador to the Supreme Chancellor. I'm taking these people to Coruscant."
Battle Droid: "Where are you taking them?"
Qui-Gon: "To Coruscant."
Battle Droid: "To Coruscant. Uh... that doesn't compute. Uh, wait, uh... you're under arrest!"

Bad:
- Midi-chlorians talk taking away from the Force being a mystic faith based thing.
- Jar Jar Binks really did have more than a couple poop and fart jokes and his CGI appearance hasn't aged well.
- Goddammit, George Lucas already added scenes and edits to the 2011 Blu-Ray release. Yoda's puppet got switched for CGI for no reason (Yoda was in a chair the whole movie).
- CGI: The Movie. Was the only real thing in the whole movie the staircase the Queen walks down?
- Way too much political drama over trade disputes.
- Story progression is forced: Jar Jar has a life debt to repay. Padme goes with Qui Gon to Tattooine even though it's dangerous. Obi Wan stays on the ship because they didn't know what to do with him. Anakin saves them from a convenient sand storm so that they get to talk about laser swords and how he's the only human who can do a pod race. The Gungans really probably would've been fine. They obviously don't have much to lose from a trade dispute, being that they're underwater and shown to be independent tribal people, but nevermind all of that when the Queen bows to the Gungan king. He really must not be that smart. They're going to suffer heavy losses, with little to gain.
- Were the Gungans supposed to be Jamaican or something?

Eh:
- That was a looong pod race scene, although it was really well done.
- Movie could've ended with Qui Gon's funeral and Palpatine all smug, but then there's a parade to soften the blow before the credits roll.
- Anakin making 3PO and then telling 3PO to get fucked after he's freed and that he'll tell Mom not to sell him. Like, why? He obviously cared enough to put hours into building him.
- Obi Wan's comment about picking up "another" useless life form in relation to Qui Gon bringing Anakin. Hate to bring up midi-chlorians but Obi Wan was JUST the one who was going on about how Anakin was off the scales. Just a weird throway line I guess.
- Anakin oops-ing his way through taking out the entire Trade Federation's base, using his pod-racing knowledge as basis to flying a spaceship. But you know, the Force or whatever.

This post has been edited by sellout: Jan 18 2016, 10:01 AM

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Jan 18 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 11,112

I assume you've seen the Red Letter Media reviews? I felt like those were better than the actual movies.

+Quote Post
sellout
post Jul 16 2016, 01:04 PM
Post #33

Banned

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Jul 16 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #34

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 693

You guys...fucking Thrawn is back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On & On & On
post Feb 1 2018, 05:00 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 19,738

Beep Boop. 3 years, 2 months, 1 week, 4 days.

--------------------
Bot Version 1.2: Would You Be Impressed if my shitty raspberry pi didn't lose internet connectivity twice a week?

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Feb 1 2018, 10:10 AM
Post #36

Terrible. Just terrible.

Member No.: 9,850

QUOTE (SkankinLibrarian @ Nov 29 2014, 04:15 AM) *
Looks dumb and cheesey. Seriously this is going to me average at best.

Look who's right, yet again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 1 2018, 11:19 AM
Post #37

screenplay!

No you're dumb

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Feb 1 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #38

Terrible. Just terrible.

Member No.: 9,850

I know you are, but what am I?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th February 2018 - 06:43 PM