Reply to this topicStart new topic
car trouble
sellout
post Jan 25 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #1

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10

when i start my car in the morning the whole thing vibrates. when i first accelerate the rumbling gets worse until i get above 40mph. after about 40mph the rumbling stops... but only if ive been driving for 5-10 minutes. if i leave the house and get caught at a red light, the rumbling continues. it seems to go away once the engine heats up...

ive read online that it might be a belt issue but i dont know. im hoping this is an easy fix. the check engine light is on.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Voox
post Jan 25 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #2

The Real Reason Hitler Tried to Kill Jews.

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

Take it to a mechanic?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sellout
post Jan 25 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #3

Banned

really don't want to but google is turning up like a dozen different reasons for this happening. im going to have my girlfriends dad check it out i guess and then go to a mechanic if needed.

+Quote Post
The Virgin Mary
post Jan 25 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 616

Sometimes during the winter, my car would just randomly have a little bit of trouble starting up, and would start shaking from abnormally low RPM when I turned the ignition. I would just have it give it some gas for a little bit until it got warmed up. Don't know if your problem is similar.

--------------------
QUOTE (Jabberjaw @ Dec 29 2007, 04:51 AM)
Do you know that only a small percentage of banks are robbed each year by criminals brandishing a swimming pool?

QUOTE (OstensiblySteve @ Feb 21 2012, 01:05 PM) *
It's exceedingly folksy. Like if you found a hair in your food, they'd call it a sunrise downhome hygiene whoopsie.

+Quote Post
Voox
post Jan 25 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #5

The Real Reason Hitler Tried to Kill Jews.

Member No.: 117

If the check engine light is on, it could be like a million different things. Either way, unless you're good with cars, you're gonna have to take it in at some point anyway because your car won't pass inspection with a check engine light on. Better sooner than later, IMO.

But really, take any advice I ever give about cars with a grain of salt. I don't know shit about them. I leave all my car problems to my boy and to my wonderful mechanic (seriously love the guy, he's probably the most honest mechanic I've ever met).

--------------------

+Quote Post
achayute
post Jan 25 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #6

"bless you"

Member No.: 608

something similar happened to me, and it turned out that that vibration was caused by a broken motor mount. mechanic needs to fix, AND 8 months later the other motor mount broke.

+Quote Post
hotsoup
post Jan 25 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #7

I am definitely a madman with a box.

Member No.: 4,836

When I had that issue, it was a melted vacuum line.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 25 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 23

year make and model?

--------------------
I don't ask questions, I just pass judgements.

+Quote Post
sellout
post Jan 25 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #9

Banned

1999 ford crown victoria. 145,000 miles. ive never had my spark plugs replaced and from what i described to my girl's dad, he thinks it might be that. he'll take a look later. i know you're a car dude tim so hopefully you can help.

+Quote Post
Nocley
post Jan 25 2010, 03:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,750

QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Jan 25 2010, 11:55 AM) *
Sometimes during the winter, my car would just randomly have a little bit of trouble starting up, and would start shaking from abnormally low RPM when I turned the ignition. I would just have it give it some gas for a little bit until it got warmed up. Don't know if your problem is similar.

Pretty much that

--------------------
QUOTE (tobias19 @ Sep 19 2010, 01:09 AM) *
you are the worst. evey timw you say something, a little bit of ghandi dies. tha's the worst thing thatr could happen to todays's society. today we wneed more ghandi because he was qa ahuge fan of peace! and whne you say shit, I think i'm going to die. thanks you.

+Quote Post
sellout
post Jan 25 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #11

Banned

yeah, virgin mary's description kinda fits with whats happening to me. i never warm up my car though. i dont like leaving it idle. maybe thats what i should start doing. apparently its easier for the spark plugs to do whatever they do(god im retarded) once your car is going for a while.

+Quote Post
adsfkahsdf
post Jan 25 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #12

One Year Awesome

Member No.: 873

CAR. CAR, CAR. TROUBLE.

CAR TROUBLE OH YEA!

+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 25 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #13

yeah sounds kinda like a flat miss (dead spark plug or cracked wire) although it going away once the car heats up is kinda interesting. try a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil) first. past that it could be a fuel injector or a clogged fuel filter or pump.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HighonFez
post Jan 25 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 612

Is there any reason to warm your car up when you live in Georgia? I only do that when it's freezing out.

--------------------

Hep, Hep.

+Quote Post
Sheep VII
post Jan 25 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 942

Call car talk. even if it doesn't help, those guys are sort of funny sometimes.

--------------------
QUOTE (highonpez @ Oct 10 2009, 01:32 PM) *
srunkle nessd.....

srunkle nessd?

+Quote Post
boggs
post Jan 25 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 668

I have a feeling its water in your system. It has been unusually cold here and i have a feeling in hahira alot of the gas stations still use metal tanks which can rust and let in moisture. so you probably have a bit of built up condensation in the tank and its just now creating a problem. go to pep boys buy some additive to take the water out. Also change your spark plugs. i bet they are pretty fouled after 145kmiles. these are your two cheapest possible solutions, but no offense but it sounds like you don't really keep up with your routine maintenance so it may be catching up to you. Also seperately run some fuel injector cleaner through another tank, but i say try the water out first. It would occasionally happen to me when i drove a gasser. I can't remember what brand i used.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 25 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #17

a gasser you say? as in the classic sense of a gasser or just a gasoline combustion engine?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_carr5227_*
post Jan 26 2010, 07:48 AM
Post #18

Guests

my truck's distributor cap cracked last week going up a really steep hill in the middle of a blind turn. oh and i forgot to mention the bed was filled to the brim (and probably passed capacity) with all of my friend colin's earthly possessions (he moved into the vacant room in me house). so i had to back the thing down the hill with the power steering off and oh it was a magical time.

+Quote Post
Guest_carr5227_*
post Jan 26 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #19

Guests

oh and it took the tow truck 4 hours to get there so my other friends came and took a bunch of trips ferrying the stuff back to the house. then me and my friend taylor sat in his car, smoked bowls on the side of the road and alternated listening to death metal and standing on the side of the road holding samurai swords menacingly for about 2 hours. i felt like i did in 9th grade, it was awesome.

oh yeah colin is the friend that's a ninja. so he had a lot of weaponry with him.

+Quote Post
boggs
post Jan 27 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 668

QUOTE (Tim @ Jan 25 2010, 11:42 PM) *
a gasser you say? as in the classic sense of a gasser or just a gasoline combustion engine?

i'm in a tdi now so i say gasser as in gasoline combustion engine.

Selloutwithme.... did you try the water out? It costs like 4 bucks and might help.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1  2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th July 2018 - 07:44 PM