IPB
2 Pages V   1  2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Anybody on here still read comics?, Help me Brorapey Wan Kenobi... you're my only hope!
?Rorshach?
post Sep 3 2017, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 693

Just starting to get back into comics, but I've been out of the loop for a minute. I don't want to be that sucker that wastes his time on dumb books so... what's good right now?

Went to a shop the other day and dude sold me on Tom King's run on The Vision, and also his new Batman run. He also got me paper girls and the 25 cent catch up issue of invincible. Oh and the Rebirth one shot. I thought the last one kind of sucked, but I get that it's more of a preview than anything else.

As a point of reference, I used to read...
Invincible
Walking dead
Superior Spider Man
Batman (the Snyder stuff)
Swamp Thing (the Snyder stuff)
Deadpool (the Posehn stuff)
Sex Criminals
Saga

Looking for good big 2 stuff, but also just the current "must reads". Thanks dudes!

Who am I kidding. Literally no one will read this.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Sep 3 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #2

Terrible. Just terrible.

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,850

I read it, but i dont read comics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dondles
post Sep 4 2017, 07:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3

I read it but don't know shit about comics.

But you should definitely read Unsounded if you like comics even at all.

--------------------
QUOTE (Jabberjaw @ Nov 11 2006, 12:24 AM) *
Fuck off, Fondles.

Radio Image Screen Copy

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Sep 4 2017, 11:31 PM
Post #4

screenplay!

Group: Validating
Member No.: 38

Here's a rundown of what's what right now, with my overall rec's at the bottom.

Saga's still going

Sex criminals is... kind of still going. It's technically still running but they do like four or five issues then take a six month break.

Tom King's vision is fantastic but it was only like 12 issues so more of a mini-series

His run on Detective Comics is... not bad. 'Tec isn't strictly a batman book anymore, Red Robin runs a team of batman b-listers. It's kind of fun. It's Red Robin, Clayface (trying to be a good guy), Azrael, Orphan (Cassandra Cain), Batwoman, and Spoiler. It's pretty good, it's not fantastic.

Tynion IV's run on Batman right now is on par with Snyder's if you read any of that. Also really good, but not exactly blowing me out of the water.

I'm not crazy about Snyder but his All-Star Batman right now is pretty good. It starts out REALLY strong with Batman going on a cross-country road trip with two-face. That sounds stupid, but it's not.

Batgirl is not good. Batwoman is less than good but not bad. Red Hood and the Outlaws is entertaining but not as good as before Rebirth. Justice League is pretty bad right now. Batman Beyond is better than I was expecting.

Nightwing is fine. Not great. Not bad.

Hal Jordan and the GL Corps is also fine.

Green Lanterns is not very good.

Flash is pretty good but not "one for the ages" good.

The Superman books are both eh.

The real hot stuff in DC right now is, maybe a bit surprisingly, their limited issue/series runs. All the crossover build-up to Doomsday Clock (their crossover with Watchmen... yeah that's happening) is fantastic, but it's hard to get together-- it's interspersed between mini-series, one-shots and just regular issue of ongoings. But Geoff Johns is writing the main series which premieres in... a couple months.

And Snyder is writing Batman: Metal which is equally tough to nail down, same deal with how it's released, but it's good too.

Super Sons is Robin and Superboy, it's REALLY good if you're into that. Teen Titans is alright.

That about sums it up for DC, now on to Marvel

Jason Aaron's run on Mighy Thor pre-lady Thor (no spoilers if you haven't been keeping up) is some of the best comic bookery there is. Mighty Thor post Lady-Thor is... kind of stupid actually, I get the feeling Aaron doesn't really want to be writing it because it doesn't make much sense, but there are definitely bouts of badassery mixed in.

Amazing Spider-Man blows. It's the saddest the book has ever been, I can't believe they haven't fired Dan Slott. My guess is though, a lot like with JMS, most of the shit in the book comes from on high. Peter just went through a major status quo change with Secret Empire though, so we'll see.

Sensational Spider-Man with Chip Zdarsky (the artist for Sex Criminals... he's also a writer) is good, but it just started so we'll see. Could be great. Isn't there yet.

Spider-Man (with Miles Morales) is probably the best Spider-Man book out right now, which is just sad, they're really fucking up peter parker. But Spider-man is pretty good, Bendis is back on it.

Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider is a book about my most favorite character of all time, so it's great.

X-Men Blue and Gold are both really good. I would definitely recommend them, and Weapon X.

Old Man Logan is not bad. If you dig the character, it's cool.

The solo x-men books are good but not worth the money if you're on a budget.

Spider-Man/Deadpool is phenomenal.

There's like a dozen Deadpool books out at any given time and they're all mediocre, but the main Deadpool book is pretty good.

Infamous Iron man is one of the best books out there-- Dr. Doom reforms and takes over the Iron Man suit.

Also a new young girl builds her own iron man suit in Invincible Iron Man and it's pretty good, but not as good as Infamous.

Secret Empire just wrapped up and the future of the Captain America books haven't been revealed yet.

Champions is really really good if you care about any of those characters (basically the junior avengers)

Okay.

But you know where the real magic is right now? You're not going to believe me, but...

Mark Waid and Chip Zdarsky rebooted Archie Comics and... it's amazing. It really is. And Chip Zdarsky left that book to go write Jughead, and it's really good too. And the Betty and Veronica book is also great. Archie Comics really gave a damn and put some top talent on this reboot, and it shows. Yes, it's just a book about teens being teens, they aren't secret agents or something, but it's surprisingly good.

I know I missed a few, if you want to know about anything specific I can probably clue you in because I tend to at least sample everything, but there's a few others that are good that I'm reading and probably forgot to mention, just assume they're good but not fantastic.

So yeah, super long post, I can help catch you up on anything you need. But what you're really probably looking for is

okay so let's say I only get 10 books a month?

Probably

Batman

All-Star Batman

Scarlet Spider

Archie

Spider-Man/Deadpool

Infamous Iron Man

Sensational Spider-Man (but if it ends up not being very good i'd drop it for Mighty Thor/Flash/Invincible Iron Man/Nightwing, depending on what happens with those books)

X-Men Gold

Weapon X

and Champions, to get a good team book in there.

I would also make sure to pick up the oncoming Venomverse book, Batman: Metal, and Doomsday Clock.

If you want me to catch you up on anything I can definitely do that. Except whatever the Inhumans have been up to, marvel is pushing them like crazy but they're sooooo booooorrrriiinnnngggggg.

This post has been edited by sonofaresiii: Sep 4 2017, 11:41 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Dondles
post Sep 5 2017, 05:40 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Sep 5 2017, 05:31 AM) *
If you want me to catch you up on anything I can definitely do that. Except whatever the Inhumans have been up to, marvel is pushing them like crazy but they're sooooo booooorrrriiinnnngggggg.

And the TV series with Misfits Barry/Ramsay Bolton looks like absolute trollop.

--------------------
QUOTE (Jabberjaw @ Nov 11 2006, 12:24 AM) *
Fuck off, Fondles.

Radio Image Screen Copy

+Quote Post
hotsoup
post Sep 5 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #6

I am definitely a madman with a box.

Member No.: 4,836

Squirrel Girl owns and is written by Ryan North, the guy that writes Dinosaur Comics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Sep 5 2017, 06:27 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Sep 4 2017, 11:31 PM) *
Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks duder!

Do you have any sites/podcasts/whatevers that you check to keep up on comics stuff?

QUOTE (hotsoup @ Sep 5 2017, 12:55 PM) *
Squirrel Girl owns and is written by Ryan North, the guy that writes Dinosaur Comics.

I got the first trade from the library and really dug it. I'll have to keep going. Do you know how far into it they are?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Sep 6 2017, 03:37 AM
Post #8

screenplay!

QUOTE (?Rorshach? @ Sep 5 2017, 07:27 PM) *
Thanks duder!

Do you have any sites/podcasts/whatevers that you check to keep up on comics stuff?

Not really, can't help ya there. I pretty much just pirate everything (I know, I'm a terrible person) so I don't miss much, and then I hit a few subreddits to see any discussion. Also I have in my google settings somewhere that I like comics so it pops up with any big news stories. All that usually covers anything important.

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Sep 6 2017, 03:44 AM
Post #9

screenplay!

QUOTE (Dondles @ Sep 5 2017, 06:40 AM) *
And the TV series with Misfits Barry/Ramsay Bolton looks like absolute trollop.

I've actually never cared for any of the broadcast network comic shows, except maybe peggy carter. It all feels very inorganic predictable tv-trope-riddled standard fare with characters that happen to share the same names as some people in comics. I honestly have no idea why so many people are going crazy for the same, they all seem to be pretty by the books tv.

I don't need every show I watch to be new and different, but it gets a little old when every show has your standard archetype characters that can't talk outside of obvious cliche stereotypes.

"I'm the nerdy guy! Science! Math! Girls are so confusing!"

"I'm the badass dumb tank with a heart of gold. Stealing is fun, but not too much stealing. I hate everything and all of you, but I really just need a hug."

"I'm Barry Allen and I'm the fastest man alive except for whichever villain I'm fighting this week. My problem this week is that I'm not going to run fast enough until I decide to believe in myself and run fast enough."

It's just like no one on any of those shows is trying very hard.

This post has been edited by sonofaresiii: Sep 6 2017, 03:45 AM

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Sep 6 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #10

Hey Alex, where do you pirate books from?

I went to a new shop today that was like, the most adorably wonderful small town LCS...but they have a pretty limited selection. Plus, it seems like neither of the big two are really providing much of a jumping off point right now, so it's looking like I'm going to have to dig deep to get caught up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Sep 7 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #11

screenplay!

oh i looked at this and forgot to answer

okay so i torrent off a place called worldwidetorrents.me which is the big site for comics right now. mostly because one guy uploads new comics every single week. it might be a little harder finding older stuff, depending on how popular it is. i typically get the packs-- you can search for DC WEEK, MARVEL WEEK, IMAGE WEEK etc but you can also search for individual issues or just visit the guy's profile to see everything he's uploaded. It's seriously like every comic released every week.

warning: lots of ads and pop-ups. just close/ignore them, i haven't seen any malware.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Sep 15 2017, 09:52 AM
Post #12

Damn dude, Tom Kings Batman is real good.

Just finished the first 3 trades. "I Am Gotham" was fine, "I Am Suicide" was better, but "I Am Bane" was probably the best Bane story I've ever read. Then at the end, there was the Swamp Thing/Batman story from the first annual and that was fucking awesome.

Also, just started Archie and you're right, that book is way better than it has any business being. It's so damn wholesome and sweet, and also just really well written. Mark Waid and Fiona Staples is also just an insano dynamite team.

--------------------

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Sep 27 2017, 11:39 PM
Post #13

Yo Alex, just picked up legacy. How far back do I have to go if I want to read the "Steve dies, Sam becomes cap, Steve comes back" story?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Sep 28 2017, 10:32 AM
Post #14

screenplay!

Steve doesn't die, he loses the effects of the super soldier serum and becomes his "actual" age of like ninety. That happened years ago, I guess you can go back and dig it up but it's probably better to just read a cliff's notes version:

In basically a random fight, comic book shenanigans happen and steve is aged up to a 90+ year old man. He's basically Bruce Wayne in TDKR, he's super old and not really the legend he once was but he can still kick ass in desperate situations. He stands down as Cap and takes basically a desk job at SHIELD as strategic head of whatever, and passes the mantle on to Sam Wilson. He still shows up from time to time to kind of set things straight when people get into arguments, but he doesn't actively fight anymore.

To go back to when he "came back" you'd have to go back to Pleasant Hill, but honestly if all you're looking for is Steve's return as Cap, it's not worth reading all of Pleasant Hill. If you want to, go for it it's not bad but Steve's return is a very small part of that story. Here's a spoiler-ridden synopsis if you decide not to read it:

Maria Hill gets her hands on a sentient Cosmic Cube that's taken the form of a little girl called Kobik. Kobik basically acts like and thinks she's a little girl, but she knows she has ultimate power too. Maria Hill convinces Kobik to brainwash all the captured villains in a new prison: She makes all the villains forget they're villains and gives them new identities as normal people, and puts them all in a town together called Pleasant Hill.

Obviously they eventually figure out they're all villains and have been brainwashed. A fight ensues with basically a bunch of villains and heroes and SHIELD and no one's really on the same side, both heroes and villains are split between trying to keep the villains in pleasant hill and thinking it's cruel and unusual punishment and that they should all be freed (well, sent back to real prison, but not in pleasant hill anymore).

Steve Rogers is also there, but he's an old man so he can't really do much...

until right at the height of the battle when the villains who are trying to escape are about to win, Kobik uses her cosmic cube powers to return Steve Rogers to his super soldier state. He's young again, he kicks ass again, he's back to his prime. Then Steve Rogers kicks the villains' asses, dismantles Pleasant Hill and things go back to the way they used to be... as far as we know. There's now two Captain Americas, Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson.

END PLEASANT HILL SPOILERS

Where you really want to start is right after all that happens, with Captain America: Steve Rogers #1. That's what you need to get caught up through Secret Empire and everything that's happened there. It's good, it's not that long (I think like 20-ish issues until Secret Empire), but if you don't want to go back that far just hit me up for a synopsis of all that happened.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Sep 28 2017, 10:46 AM
Post #15

screenplay!

ps if/when you get to Secret Empire, the main story starts in Captain America: Steve Rogers and then moves to the Secret Empire mini, but CA:SR still supplements it HEAVILY so you'll want to read both concurrently.

Although Secret Empire itself is really, really dependent on a lot of crossovers and tie-ins so once you get to it you might be better off just trying to read a catch-up or something, even I was confused at half the shit going on in that book because it ties through like three different avengers books, x-men books, spin-off minis, etc.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
RotatingHornSect...
post Oct 5 2017, 01:45 AM
Post #16

Will never get a cool title

Member No.: 702

Brian K Vaughan
Jeff Lemire
Matt Kindt

These are the only comic people still relevant to me.

Have you read Matt Kindt's MIND MGMT? Best shit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Oct 5 2017, 07:17 AM
Post #17

YOU GUYS IT'S ROTATING

How you been man?

--------------------

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Oct 5 2017, 07:19 AM
Post #18

I read the first MIND MGMT hardcover and really loved it. Haven't picked up the second one for no good reason. Should probably do that at some point.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RotatingHornSect...
post Oct 6 2017, 12:00 AM
Post #19

Will never get a cool title

Member No.: 702

Yes you should. There's 4 more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Oct 6 2017, 08:17 AM
Post #20

You gotten into Tom King at all? Dudes vision book was lit

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1  2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2018 - 08:11 AM