Reply to this topicStart new topic
Super Smash Bros, 3ds and Wii U
blaarg
post Nov 22 2014, 01:42 PM
Post #61

"I wonder if he has anything good on him..."

Group: Members
Member No.: 916

No new characters. Multiple local players can be online, not sure about For Glory mode though.

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow Evermore @ Feb 20 2009, 11:36 PM) *
WILL YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP BLAARG I'M BUSY TRYING TO BE COOL ON THE INTERNET
QUOTE (jpmillman @ Oct 28 2009, 11:42 PM) *
That rules. You rule. High five.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RotatingHornSect...
post Nov 25 2014, 03:35 AM
Post #62

Will never get a cool title

Member No.: 702

MatthewOSU for Wii U Smashing. Got my roomie into Smash tonight. I can't win most of my online smashes, but I can destroy my roomie with King Dedede so I got that going for me which is nice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Nov 29 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #63

No one should do any of this

Group: Psych Ward
Member No.: 295

Aight I've had my fill of Ness and have a decent lineup of characters to play ranked it, 2's or 1's (fuck ya'll FFA). I realize that Ness is generally a lot easier to play in this form than in previous games since he got some sweet buffs. Now I just want to perfect using PK Flash, ending a 1v1 with that is the most glorious insult-to-injury ever.

Little Mac is a gamble. He can be countered by being an edgehog, or being sent flying so his super armors need to be abused so that you stay planted. He's good but I'm finding the lack of aerial game is too much of a loss though.

Pac-Man is my new guy because that fucking hydrant. The downward projectiles are amazing in FD maps and the push benefits are fun too, just make sure the enemy doesn't launch said hydrant at you.

Also Captain Falcon because. Well, I mean, its hard to not do good with Captain Falcon. In my headcannon he's actually Captain N in disguise.

Starting to play Diddy more, though I find him kinda scrubby since he can perform some higher level techniques with no effort at all.

And of course, Mario. Not because I win (well, usually lose actually), but I tend to get at least one F-air spike KO ingame and that makes it all worth it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riot
post Nov 29 2014, 01:25 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 10,432

Okay I have never played previous Smash Bros games. I'm trying to learn. I need someone that's solid and not super hard to learn. I have been messing with Lucario, but I have no idea what my bread n butters combos should be (or if combos really even exist that much in this game av-9850[1].gif). Any tips for overall gameplay or Lucario in particular? Even going through terminology would help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riot
post Nov 29 2014, 01:25 PM
Post #65

oops double post

This post has been edited by Riot: Nov 29 2014, 01:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Nov 29 2014, 02:06 PM
Post #66

screenplay!

Group: Validating
Member No.: 38

Hit the guys who aren't on your team.

A lot.

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Nov 29 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #67

Failure, Complete and Utter.

Member No.: 711

Competitive smashers are already complaining about diddy and sheik.

I'm rocking Yoshi as my main with Duck Hunt and Kirby as my counter picks. I can feel the frustration boiling off my opponents when I combo them with Duck Hunt, or drop them off the stage by inhaling them with kirby. Seriously frustrating characters to play against, which is why I love em.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Nov 29 2014, 09:56 PM
Post #68

Yoshi's hitboxes are some fucking bullshit, but I guess the lack of a triple jump justifies it. Yoshi can dominate in 1v1s.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Nov 29 2014, 10:06 PM
Post #69

QUOTE (Riot @ Nov 29 2014, 01:25 PM) *
Okay I have never played previous Smash Bros games. I'm trying to learn. I need someone that's solid and not super hard to learn. I have been messing with Lucario, but I have no idea what my bread n butters combos should be (or if combos really even exist that much in this game av-9850[1].gif). Any tips for overall gameplay or Lucario in particular? Even going through terminology would help.

Why do you like Lucario? If you give me an example of why you like the way he controls I might be able to recommend some other characters based on how you prefer to play. I personally have hardly touched Lucario but I get the gist of him. I hear he's been nerfed since Brawl and become pretty slow in general for a high speed high smash character.

Lucario might be a difficult choice for a first timer since his down+B is a counterattack, just like Ike/Marth/Lucina/Little Mac/Shulk (I think that's all of them...Mii Knight?) which definitely requires a knowledge of how OTHER characters work to time it right.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Nov 29 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #70

And when all else fails and you need tips on your guy, lurk the smashboards. I would highly recommend not having an account and posting however.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Nov 30 2014, 02:03 AM
Post #71

screenplay!

For whatever reason I've been great with Samus on sm4sh. I'm at a point where on for glory only around 1/5 people I play beat me handily, and I usually 2 stock the rest.

But I'm getting worse and worse with every other character. Or maybe my standards are just getting higher, I dunno. I love playing sonic but while I can rack up tons of damage with him I always have trouble getting that final kill. Also the controls on the 3ds make it really hard to use him at his potential.

For Fun I usually go for ike, he's no good in 1v1 but he's a lot of fun with a group... Especially because I still say playing four player on a 3ds amounts to barely more than just running in swinging and hope you get a hit. It's next to impossible to see what's going on, and the stages are all so small if you ever try to combo someone their partner is right there to put an end to it.

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Nov 30 2014, 02:05 AM
Post #72

screenplay!

Anyway I'd love to get the console version but I'm probably going to have to skip the wii u this generation. If I get a next gen console it'll be the Xbox one. I want to play Arkham knight so bad. Also shadows of mordor looks cool, by the time I get an Xbox one it'll be dirt cheap.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
benjula2006
post Nov 30 2014, 10:53 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 228

My Nintendo Network ID is benjula if anyone fancies a few games.
I'm generally pretty average, first smash game I've played since N64 hence me relying on Ness and Link (super obvious choices I know) but I'm trying to get better.

--------------------
Piss

+Quote Post
Riot
post Nov 30 2014, 01:57 PM
Post #74

QUOTE (Klonny @ Nov 29 2014, 10:06 PM) *
Why do you like Lucario? If you give me an example of why you like the way he controls I might be able to recommend some other characters based on how you prefer to play. I personally have hardly touched Lucario but I get the gist of him. I hear he's been nerfed since Brawl and become pretty slow in general for a high speed high smash character.

Lucario might be a difficult choice for a first timer since his down+B is a counterattack, just like Ike/Marth/Lucina/Little Mac/Shulk (I think that's all of them...Mii Knight?) which definitely requires a knowledge of how OTHER characters work to time it right.

I dunno, I heard he was pretty good and I like hard-hitting characters. I want a relatively top-10ish character so that I'm not learning into a dead end, ya know? I'm open to suggestions though.

Really I just need tips on general gameplay and combo stuff. Like do characters really have specific combos? Or is it mainly just all spacing and hitting them with certain special moves? I can't seem to do followups on throws... maybe it's timing, like if I jump up after throwing them up out of a throw it doesn't seem to have the right spacing to hit them before they recover. Hard to explain. I dunno, I just need like an overall basics tutorial I think.

My Nintendo ID is Riot55.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Nov 30 2014, 03:12 PM
Post #75

screenplay!

QUOTE (Riot @ Nov 30 2014, 01:57 PM) *
I dunno, I heard he was pretty good and I like hard-hitting characters. I want a relatively top-10ish character so that I'm not learning into a dead end, ya know? I'm open to suggestions though.

Really I just need tips on general gameplay and combo stuff. Like do characters really have specific combos? Or is it mainly just all spacing and hitting them with certain special moves? I can't seem to do followups on throws... maybe it's timing, like if I jump up after throwing them up out of a throw it doesn't seem to have the right spacing to hit them before they recover. Hard to explain. I dunno, I just need like an overall basics tutorial I think.

My Nintendo ID is Riot55.

On the first point, I hate to break it to you dude but there's no way you're going to be playing at a competitive level, against really, really good players. You're going to be playing for fun against your friends.

What this means is that it makes absolutely no difference who your character is so long as you're good with them. Just pick whoever you want and get good with them and you'll be fine playing your friends. The only way it makes any difference is at the absolute highest level of competitive game play.

As far as combos go... in one sense, there aren't "specific" combos, like having a combo meter go up or something, that your character does. It's just there are certain moves that tend to string together well, but it's all context based-- what works against Ganon may not work against Ness. It's just a matter of playing the game and learning the moves, then you'll start to see how they can be played together. You can learn this by playing against other people online and seeing what they do, how they string moves together.

Also... what I just said is a lie, because there are some characters that totally DO have specific move combos. But this is more like "tap A three times" kind of stuff, and it's not what people mean when they say combos.

Overall, I think you're trying to jump in too much too fast. Just take it easy, play some games against low level computers, play some of the single player challenges and start to learn the game. Don't try to learn advanced level stuff or play against people who are really good. It'll just frustrate you and you'll develop bad habits trying to play the game based on a set of instructions other people have said, instead of just learning what works best where and integrating new skills as you need them.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Nov 30 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #76

Failure, Complete and Utter.

Member No.: 711

Its way too early for there to be any kind of comprehensive information about this shit. The competitive players have only had the game for a few days, its going to take a loooooooooong time to work out exactly what the tiers are.

There are definitely some True Combos in the game, finding out what they are and developing the muscle memory required to land them repeatedly is going to take more than a week or two.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riot
post Nov 30 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #77

I don't think I'm going to be playing at a competitive level per se, I just mean I want to get myself to a point where I actually feel COMPETITIVE towards others online/IRL. Like, I need to know the basics and what kind of bread n butter stuff I should be doing with my character basically. I'ma just have to play around with it I guess, but I wish I kind of knew what to look for/attempt in training mode. Like what kind of combos/sequences are even doable for certain characters. Hopefully in the next few months there will be more character guides/newbie guides out there on Youtube I guess.

Trying some Yoshi now. He seems pretty decent. This is gonna sound dumb, but how do you smash/knock them off? Is it only using the right side joystick for those smash attacks? I'm okay at doing a lot of damage but it doesn't seem to really finish them. Also is there a universal way to recover when you get knocked to the side? I see people like charging and dashing back up through the air on streams when I watched at EVO but if I get knocked off as Yoshi I have no good way of getting back up it seems. I can double jump and up-special to shoot an egg which gives me some hangtime, but is that it? My main issue is jumping off the side or not recovering from getting knocked off when I'm not actually smashed. Especially with that dumb egg roll move which seems to just shoot me off av-9850[1].gif, but trying not to use that much or control it better.

This post has been edited by Riot: Nov 30 2014, 04:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Nov 30 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #78

Your primary means of scoring KOs is with Smash attacks, which they show in the intro tutorial (which I recommend watching because it includes stuff like Mario's meteor). Basically you execute your heaviest attacks, which is done by pressing the joystick quickly in a cardinal direction and pressing A. You'll know you did it right when you see your character charging if you hold A. Some characters like Yoshi have a strong aerial game, and you can KO with your aerial Up attack, and in most cases back/forward attacks.

This post has been edited by Klonny: Nov 30 2014, 04:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Nov 30 2014, 04:59 PM
Post #79

screenplay!

QUOTE (Riot @ Nov 30 2014, 03:32 PM) *
I don't think I'm going to be playing at a competitive level per se, I just mean I want to get myself to a point where I actually feel COMPETITIVE towards others online/IRL.

Everything I said applies to that. I've beaten every single character in the game and gotten beat by every single character. There's no magic "If you have this character you will win." At this level, it's really really just about how good you are, not whether you pick the right character.

Anyway, get out of training mode and go play against the computer and do some of the other single player modes. Training mode isn't going to get you anywhere if you don't know what to do.

And, I mean I know you're just going to ignore me but I can't recommend enough staying away from guides until you've been playing for a LONG time. It's not going to make the game any more fun, just doing exactly what you're told, and the second someone does something different from the guide you're gonna be fucked. Just learn how to play the game, dude, then once you're solid you can seek out advice for particular situations/things you have trouble with.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Riot
post Nov 30 2014, 05:47 PM
Post #80

QUOTE (Klonny @ Nov 30 2014, 04:43 PM) *
Your primary means of scoring KOs is with Smash attacks, which they show in the intro tutorial (which I recommend watching because it includes stuff like Mario's meteor). Basically you execute your heaviest attacks, which is done by pressing the joystick quickly in a cardinal direction and pressing A. You'll know you did it right when you see your character charging if you hold A. Some characters like Yoshi have a strong aerial game, and you can KO with your aerial Up attack, and in most cases back/forward attacks.

I'm playing on Classic Controller Pro. You're saying joystick + A... just so I clarify, when you say A you mean a basic attack, not special, right? Cuz I messed with the button config a bit. Also, is that different than just pushing a direction on the right joystick? Just pushing the right stick in different directions is what charges and does the smash attack, and I'm not getting that from pushing normal movement stick + A. So with Yoshi just kinda stick with normal attacks and try for up smashes?

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2018 - 02:50 AM