?Rorshach?
post May 3 2018, 07:56 AM
Post #3641

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 693

QUOTE (Dondles @ Apr 27 2018, 02:35 PM) *
25 hours later...

I think Dylan got snapped.

I'll be back in a year, when Alex's contract is up.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post May 3 2018, 08:00 AM
Post #3642

But yeah, I dug Infinity War.

Without going too far into it, a lot of people are kind of rolling their eyes at the ending, but like, what did you expect? It would be literally impossible to pull off any sort of legit surprise with contracts and TMZ coverage or whatever. It's like an actual comic book event.

Yeah, I know Spider Man will be back in a year, but I also know there's not an explosives expert raccoon running around in space with Chris Pratt. It's called "suspended disbelief" ya nerds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post May 3 2018, 08:04 AM
Post #3643

Also, regarding Lost in Space, that show is absolutely gorgeous, and also completely soulless.

Like, it seriously looks better than some of the big budget studio movies coming out right now, so I wanted to like it so much. After watching the pilot though, it's just completely devoid of fun or emotion or humor.

It's completely joyless.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post May 3 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #3644

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,112

QUOTE (?Rorshach? @ May 3 2018, 08:00 AM) *
But yeah, I dug Infinity War.

Without going too far into it, a lot of people are kind of rolling their eyes at the ending, but like, what did you expect? It would be literally impossible to pull off any sort of legit surprise with contracts and TMZ coverage or whatever. It's like an actual comic book event.

Yeah, I know Spider Man will be back in a year, but I also know there's not an explosives expert raccoon running around in space with Chris Pratt. It's called "suspended disbelief" ya nerds.

The fact that I know they're all coming back just ruins the impact. If this is temporary, why should anyone care they died? Had they just picked a few they actually planned on killing off, it would be much more significant.

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post May 3 2018, 09:27 PM
Post #3645

Failure, Complete and Utter.

Member No.: 711

How bout a sitcom told from the dogs point of view

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post May 6 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #3646

screenplay!

Group: Validating
Member No.: 38

I don't know if I remember how to do spoiler tags here so SPOILERS for infinity war

So I just saw it. I really enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed that there were basically no surprises at all, I thought for sure they'd keep something big under wraps... Except, I did literally gasp when Red Skull showed up. Definitely wasn't expecting that and I thought hugo weaving was 100% done. That was really cool.

Besides that everything went exactly like I expected, even ending with the snap-- because fucking of course it would. Even if you didn't read the comics you had to know it ends with Thanos getting what he wanted and the next movie being about them having to un-fuck the universe. If anyone believed the Russos when they tried to convince everyone this was its own standalone movie without having actually said that... I mean come on.

But it being exactly what I expected didn't make it any less good. It did everything I expected, and did it all really well.

Super letdown that Hawkeye didn't make a surprise appearance, they were being really cagey about why he wasn't in any promo materials and I was expecting something more than just "Because he's not in the movie." I liked the theory that his family gets snapped so he shows up at the end super badass and pissed off. Ant-Man not being in it I understand, he has his own movie coming out in a few months.

Also, I really, REALLY wanted Spider-Man to get the black suit and the whole Spider-Man-less Venom movie to be a total red herring. Especially when Spidey GOES TO SPACE, I thought for sure it was gonna happen. I know that would've been crazy hard to keep secret, but I thought they found a way. Guess not. It would've absolutely broken my hype meter though. Zero interest in the venom movie now.

Anyway it's really good and they managed to mix all these different properties really, really well with great balance.

This post has been edited by sonofaresiii: May 6 2018, 11:11 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post May 6 2018, 11:11 AM
Post #3647

screenplay!

And yes I've intentionally stayed off here for the past week until I got to see it because I don't trust you assholes not to spoil it, even accidentally.

This post has been edited by sonofaresiii: May 6 2018, 09:10 PM

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post May 6 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #3648

Member No.: 11,112

So I just saw it. I really enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed that there were basically no surprises at all, I thought for sure they'd keep something big under wraps... Except, I did literally gasp when Red Skull showed up. Definitely wasn't expecting that and I thought hugo weaving was 100% done. That was really cool.

Why was he there? I was sort of confused who he was until someone told me later he was the captain America villain, but that just left me as confused.

This post has been edited by sonofaresiii: May 6 2018, 04:44 PM

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post May 6 2018, 04:43 PM
Post #3649

screenplay!

In the first Captain America movie, he was the bad guy. He's basically Cap's arch-nemesis, he's like a super major bad guy villain in the comics so when he "died" (was transported away) at the end of Cap, we all knew it was inevitable he'd show up again somehow.

Except... rumors and even statements were pretty strong that Hugo Weaving hated being the red skull (I think he hated the make-up) so much he said he'd never do it again. So everyone was kinda like... well damn, I guess we're not seeing him again.

It was kind of this weird thing where it's crazy to have Captain America without the Red Skull, but the realities of hollywood kind of made it seem like it wasn't going to happen.

And then... yeah.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
hotsoup
post May 6 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #3650

I am definitely a madman with a box.

Member No.: 4,836

Red Skull was recast. It's not Hugo Weaving playing him in Infinity War, it's Ross Marquand doing his best Hugo Weaving impression.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post May 6 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #3651

Terrible. Just terrible.

Member No.: 9,850

Wakanda vs. Zerglings

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post May 6 2018, 09:09 PM
Post #3652

screenplay!

QUOTE (hotsoup @ May 6 2018, 07:08 PM) *
Red Skull was recast. It's not Hugo Weaving playing him in Infinity War, it's Ross Marquand doing his best Hugo Weaving impression.

Well shit they fuckin' fooled me. It was really cool to see regardless.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post May 7 2018, 08:43 AM
Post #3653

Failure, Complete and Utter.

Member No.: 711

As someone who has 0 interest in seeing Infinity War any time soon but is planning on binge watching the entire MCU at some point in the future I appreciate the spoiler tags.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post May 7 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #3654

screenplay!

QUOTE (dumbducky @ May 3 2018, 07:07 PM) *
The fact that I know they're all coming back just ruins the impact. If this is temporary, why should anyone care they died? Had they just picked a few they actually planned on killing off, it would be much more significant.

So I think this is worth addressing, because it's a really valid criticism and as a comics fan, something we've had to deal with ever since Superman un-died in the 90's.

Any time a character dies in comics, you know for absolute sure that if he's meaningful in any way whatsoever, he's eventually coming back. There's no question.

There was a saying once that the only permanent deaths in comics are Uncle Ben and Bucky. And, well.... yeah.

So the thing that's important to accept when dealing with character deaths in comic-related properties isn't whether or not their death has to be permanent to have any impact... it's the stories created about their deaths and during their absences that's important.

Spoiler-time:

Spider-Man is coming back in the MCU, we know that for absolute sure. So why is his death meaningful? Because Stark thinks he's dead. Stark gives his death meaning, not us. We see Stark feel that loss, and in the next movie we're going to watch how he's handling it and how it affects him.

Similarly, Cap went through years thinking his best friend had died. Finally, he gets Bucky back, and JUST when he finally gets Bucky cured... Bucky dies. We know he's not really dead, but Cap doesn't, and we get stories about Cap having to handle that.

It's the exact same as going into, say, Avengers 1 and we know for sure they're going to defeat Loki, but they don't know that so we still get to watch them struggle and act as if they might lose.

So I hope that perspective might help you enjoy the movie, and the ones to come, a little more. Their deaths aren't for us, it's for the characters in the movie, and we watch the fallout. Even if you know they're not dead, you can still enjoy the stories about them dying because you see how the other character are affected by it.

This really isn't something I was able to come to grips with until Snyder "killed" Batman in the comics a few years ago. I thought it was the dumbest thing ever to try to trick us when we all knew it was bullshit, until Snyder straight up said "Bruce Wayne is coming back as Batman, I just think it'll be interesting to see how Gotham City deals with his 'death' in the mean time."

This post has been edited by sonofaresiii: May 7 2018, 09:57 AM

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post May 7 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #3655

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ May 7 2018, 09:56 AM) *

It's the exact same as going into, say, Avengers 1 and we know for sure they're going to defeat Loki, but they don't know that so we still get to watch them struggle and act as if they might lose.

I like this point a bunch.

Likewise, I've had this conversation a ton lately, and I feel a little love handshakey being like "well i mean, comics fans have been dealing with this for...ever."

That said, it's been funny watching superhero movies over my lifetime play out like a mini history of superhero comics.

• Back in the late 80s and early 90s, you have Reeves Superman and Keaton's Batman, that are pretty analog in terms of reception to the first ever superhero comics. Kids loved them, but they were never really respected as "real art".
  • Then you go through a long stretch where the medium isnt selling, and almost completely goes under.
  • Then though, somebody comes out with a dark/gritty version of Batman and everyone is like "oh man...maybe it's ok for adults to enjoy these too"
  • Shockwaves echo through the industry. DC tries to keep doing dark and gritty, but Marvel realizes that there are actually just fun and accessible stories to be told through these characters they've had sitting around for a long ass time.
  • Everyone loves them.
  • People start going "ok yeah, I like this...but it's feeling redundant. The market is saturated and I'm getting sick of"
  • DC keeps making really fucking awful stuff and fails to ever really recapture their glory days.
  • Both companies start doing enormous crossover events to get people really excited.
  • Marvel's are pretty successful, DCs sort of flop
  • Both companies kill off major characters and everyone complains that they know there's a zero percent chance they aren't coming back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boner City
post May 7 2018, 02:13 PM
Post #3656

Member No.: 10,613

I need to give Spaced another chance. First time I watched it, I hadn't seen any Star Wars in years so a shit ton of the references were lost on me. Is there anything else I should (re)familiarise myself with beforehand?

--------------------
QUOTE (BroRapingBonerCity @ May 1 2011, 11:01 PM) *
Boner City for life.

Get some Spoke Too Soon down ya!

+Quote Post
Klonny
post May 9 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #3657

No one should do any of this

Group: Psych Ward
Member No.: 295

Dudes die and come back so often that its hard for me to feel what they feel

Its kinda like Dr. Strange. I get that you're a man of science and don't believe in magic but you kind of exist in a world with Hulk and Thor. How can I possibly relate to that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Jul 30 2018, 12:17 AM
Post #3658

Terrible. Just terrible.

Member No.: 9,850

Just saw Blindspotting and eighth grade. Both fantastic movies and worth seeing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jul 30 2018, 07:28 AM
Post #3659

screenplay!

Does anyone else have moviepass? It's been completely imploding. I don't know if they're even gonna make it through the week. I don't use it enough to be affected so far, but if I can't go see a good movie tomorrow without paying extra I'm canceling.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Jul 30 2018, 08:21 AM
Post #3660

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Jul 30 2018, 07:28 AM) *
Does anyone else have moviepass? It's been completely imploding. I don't know if they're even gonna make it through the week. I don't use it enough to be affected so far, but if I can't go see a good movie tomorrow without paying extra I'm canceling.

Dude, same.

Yeah we've had it for almost a year and use it at least 4 times a month. Especially this summer, we've been using it a ton, but this weekend we literally couldn't see anything without surge pricing, and mission impossible we couldn't see at all.

If we can't go tonight, we're done.

--------------------

+Quote Post

185 Pages V  « < 181 182 183  184 185 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2018 - 05:38 PM