IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
ATTN: Sellout, AF questions
dumbducky
post Nov 7 2014, 08:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,112

So I just got my AFSC. 17D3 Cyberspace Operations. Do you know anyone in this career field, and what the hell do they do?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Nov 7 2014, 10:23 AM
Post #2

screenplay!

Member No.: 38

Ooh, I know someone in the air force!

it's rj.

he's a plumber.

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sellout
post Nov 7 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #3

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10

Maybe this will help.
SUPER GOOD INFO FROM SOMEONE IN THE 17D CAREER FIELD

That's an officer position, yeah? I know an elisted guy who works in communications, but I'm not sure what his AFSC is. I'd imagine you'd be working with guys like that. He basically responded to service calls for people who "tripped port security" accidentally on their work computers. I don't know what that really means. He said most of the time it was something dumb, like moving a computer from one side of a building to another and it not being ok to do that for whatever reason. Like, maybe the computer was set up for a specific network and it became useless as soon as it was moved. I'm only speculating though. On your level as an officer though, maybe you'd be in charge of a set of those types of guys and manning things from your office. I'm sure you'd have a role in big picture stuff like logistics behind installing new communications lines to buildings and whatnot. The best thing you can do is find someone who is doing what you do and ask them what their day to day is. It sounds like you got a sweet job, though. I look forward to plunging coffee grounds out of your sweet break room sink.

EDIT: The tl;dr version of that article I posted says that 17D is a career field that is supposedly focused on operations, but is being dragged down by the day to day support missions they are still expected to fulfill (aka those piddly little service calls that distract you from doing... whatever it is you're supposed to be doing).

This post has been edited by sellout: Nov 7 2014, 12:02 PM

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Nov 7 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #4

Yeah, I commission in May. I was really expecting to get developmental engineer, so I was mentally preparing myself for that and researching it. And then this morning I found out I got cyber, which I know nothing about. My greatest fear is that it's IT work, which I don't want to do. I haven't had the chance to read the long article, but I will definitely check it out.

+Quote Post
sellout
post Nov 7 2014, 09:57 PM
Post #5

Banned

It definitely seems like IT work but you'll be in a managerial position so maybe it won't be so bad.

edit: I didn't know what my job was going to be either but it's all about how you roll with it. Just be flexible and get out of it what you can. Before long, you'll be making rank and there's a lot of opportunities to do other things outside of your job. The enlisted ranks have options to become recruiters, military training instructors, military training leaders (probably the most rewarding), and job specific special duties. Some of the job specific stuff I could do is become a Silver Flag or MEETS instructor. Silver Flag is awesome because you get to go camping for a week and teach people how to set up a bare base. I'd be training guys on using the water purification unit and stuff like that.

Being an military training leader has to have a commissioned equivalent. Basically, you're in charge of a flight of students while they're getting their technical training. You're their go-to person as they transition from basic, to tech school, to the operational AF. You help them with personal issues. You march with them to class. You're a father figure, rather than a authoritative prick.

This post has been edited by sellout: Nov 7 2014, 10:11 PM

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Nov 7 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #6

I'm aware that the officer is more of a manager than a technical skills person. Still, managing IT workers doesn't hold much appeal to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna do the best I can at whatever assignment I get. I just hope that I also enjoy the assignment. I plan on applying to cross train into a rated career field every chance I get because I want to fly (who doesn't, though).

Apparently I'm also eligible to apply for grad school on the AF's dime right after graduation, so I have that to look into as well. I'm not down on my afsc, I'm unsure. It could work out great, it could not. I don't really know. At least I didn't get nuke.

+Quote Post
sellout
post Nov 7 2014, 11:42 PM
Post #7

Banned

It sounds like you have a good attitude about it. It'll be sweet if I get to salute you one day.

edit: what's your name on facebook? i just imagined seeing "dumbducky" on your ABUs av-9850[1].gif.

This post has been edited by sellout: Nov 7 2014, 11:43 PM

+Quote Post
On & On & On
post Jan 10 2018, 05:00 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,738

Beep Boop. 3 years, 2 months, 1 week, 4 days.

--------------------
Bot Version 1.2: Would You Be Impressed if my shitty raspberry pi didn't lose internet connectivity twice a week?

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Jan 10 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (dumbducky @ Nov 7 2014, 08:18 PM) *
Yeah, I commission in May. I was really expecting to get developmental engineer, so I was mentally preparing myself for that and researching it. And then this morning I found out I got cyber, which I know nothing about. My greatest fear is that it's IT work, which I don't want to do. I haven't had the chance to read the long article, but I will definitely check it out.

It's worse than I feared: I do nothing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2018 - 02:27 PM