Reply to this topicStart new topic
Random Thoughts, Sour garlic knots
ohnoes
post Jul 2 2018, 01:00 AM
Post #41921

Failure, Complete and Utter.

Group: Members
Member No.: 711

Well let me ask you this: do you or do you not currently live in a country that tears children away from their families as a scare tactic? Because if you are and you aren't currently calling your local representatives or protesting or literally doing anything other than shit talk someone from a country who actually is on the UN human rights council through a dying ska band message board, then I'm pretty sure you're an enormous piece of shit.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Jul 2 2018, 07:58 AM
Post #41922

Terrible. Just terrible.

Member No.: 9,850

We tear newborn kids from their moms in prison all the time. Nobody seems to flip their shit about that. These people are criminals, and you can't house minors with adults while in custody. Yeah it's a shitty situation, but everything about illegal immigration is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Jul 3 2018, 09:27 AM
Post #41923

"yap, welp...." - the slogan of american millennials everywhere.

edit: and you've become like trump whether you wanted to or not. your post is a blatant example of "whataboutism"

This post has been edited by ohnoes: Jul 3 2018, 09:28 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Jul 3 2018, 10:02 AM
Post #41924

Terrible. Just terrible.

I love how you confuse whataboutism for an analogy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Jul 3 2018, 09:31 PM
Post #41925

WHAT ABOUT HOW: "We tear newborn kids from their moms in prison all the time. Nobody seems to flip their shit about that. "

--------------------

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Jul 3 2018, 09:31 PM
Post #41926

It's literally a perfect example of a whataboutism.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Jul 3 2018, 09:49 PM
Post #41927

Terrible. Just terrible.

Its literally an analogy. Comparing how we act in similar situations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Jul 3 2018, 11:32 PM
Post #41928

You either don't understand what "whatboutism" is, or don't understand what an analogy is, either or, in addition to using a poor comparison.

Many analogies are so useful that they are part of everyday speech. These are often known as figures of speech or idioms. Some examples of analogies in speech and writing:

Finding a good man is like finding a needle in a haystack: Finding a small needle in a pile of hay takes a long time, so the task at hand is likely to be hard and tedious.

That’s as useful as rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic: It looks like you’re doing something helpful but really it will make no difference in the end.

Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process: it shows that sometimes it’s better not to know too much.

That movie was a roller coaster ride of emotions: While you’re not flying through the air, the twists, turns and surprises of a movie plot can leave you feeling like you’ve been through quite an experience.

"Tearing infants from their mothers in situation x is like tearing infants from their mothers in situation y" is not an analogy because it's a direct fucking comparison. "That roller coaster was like riding a different roller coaster!" is not an analogy for the same reason.

A Whataboutism (also known as whataboutery) is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.

Which is exactly what you are trying to accomplish, in addition to using a stereotypical "what about" statement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Jul 4 2018, 02:23 AM
Post #41929

Terrible. Just terrible.

Very first definition of analogy according to Merriam Webster Dictionary is
a comparison of two otherwise unlike things based on resemblance of a particular aspect

QUOTE (ohnoes @ Jul 3 2018, 11:32 PM) *
"Tearing infants from their mothers in situation x is like tearing infants from their mothers in situation y" is not an analogy because it's a direct fucking comparison.

So in other words, I'm right, your wrong. Your a synesthete college dropout and I have a fucking JD. Pretty damn sure I got a hell of a lot more ethos on this subject that you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Jul 4 2018, 09:44 AM
Post #41930

Member No.: 11,112

You're both wrong. It uses like or as so it is a simile

TROLL EDIT: It's nice that The Candy Cane Forest throws kids in jail when their parents commit crimes to keep families together.

This post has been edited by dumbducky: Jul 4 2018, 09:49 AM

+Quote Post
Santa's Litt...
post Jul 4 2018, 10:19 AM
Post #41931

Member No.: 13,021

Arguing over semantics. Tsk tsk.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Jul 4 2018, 11:24 AM
Post #41932

Terrible. Just terrible.

QUOTE (dumbducky @ Jul 4 2018, 09:44 AM) *
You're both wrong. It uses like or as so it is a simile

TROLL EDIT: It's nice that The Candy Cane Forest throws kids in jail when their parents commit crimes to keep families together.

Except the original comment did not use either so I'm back to being right again. USA! USA! USA!

--------------------

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Jul 4 2018, 01:06 PM
Post #41933

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 693

This sucks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Jul 4 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #41934

Terrible. Just terrible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Jul 5 2018, 04:28 AM
Post #41935

ultimately it doesn't matter what the fuck grammatical term it is, it's still a whataboutism. dumbducky is doing it too.

i mean, do i care if you guys fail to see a correlation between what both of you are doing and your current president? YES BECAUSE YOUR DUMBFUCKASSES EFFECT EVERY OTHER PERSON ON THE PLANET. Whataboutisms are not a difficult concept to understand. There is no posturing here, I'm trying to explain something that you are deadfuck wrong about. Either accept what I'm trying to tell you and recognize how having a good bullshit detector is what prevents shit like Trump from getting elected or... nothing because the world will just continue to get shittier as you let dumbfucks walk all over you, and you can just let that happen. But then don't act surprised when someone from the country you just started a fucking trade war with is pissed off when you fail to be politically motivated and then try to defend that lack of political motivation WITH WHATABOUTERY BULLFUCKING SHIT YOU FUCKING IDIOTS.

what the fuck.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Jul 5 2018, 04:36 AM
Post #41936

oh my fuck you even cherry picked the fucking dictionary

a comparison of two otherwise unlike things based on resemblance of a particular aspect

in before skankin claims that they are in fact dissimilar

--------------------

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Jul 5 2018, 04:37 AM
Post #41937

how many trump/russia techniques will skankin bust out before this discussion is over? find out next week on "poor examples for americans not giving a fuck about anyone but themselves; do they know things? what do they know? lets find out!"

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Jul 5 2018, 12:36 PM
Post #41938

Terrible. Just terrible.

I know john Oliver did a show on whataboutism a while ago and you think your smart for watching him. But this is exactly how arguments work especially in the US legal system. I compared one situation to another situation. And now you are supposed to find a way to how that example doesnt apply here. Instead your ignorant ass just throws out buzz words with no idea what they mean or how to use them.

Your retarded ass is the reason trump will win reelection. You spout nonsense and condescend to anyone who doesnt agree with you. And because you found other fucktards who agree with you on the internet it just cause you to double down on your ignorance cause you are happy in your echo chamber. You are no smarter, no more wise, no more better then the fucking morons who post on the Donald.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Jul 5 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #41939

Member No.: 11,112

QUOTE (ohnoes @ Jul 5 2018, 04:28 AM) *
ultimately it doesn't matter what the fuck grammatical term it is, it's still a whataboutism. dumbducky is doing it too.

i mean, do i care if you guys fail to see a correlation between what both of you are doing and your current president? YES BECAUSE YOUR DUMBFUCKASSES EFFECT EVERY OTHER PERSON ON THE PLANET. Whataboutisms are not a difficult concept to understand. There is no posturing here, I'm trying to explain something that you are deadfuck wrong about. Either accept what I'm trying to tell you and recognize how having a good bullshit detector is what prevents shit like Trump from getting elected or... nothing because the world will just continue to get shittier as you let dumbfucks walk all over you, and you can just let that happen. But then don't act surprised when someone from the country you just started a fucking trade war with is pissed off when you fail to be politically motivated and then try to defend that lack of political motivation WITH WHATABOUTERY BULLFUCKING SHIT YOU FUCKING IDIOTS.

what the fuck.

Justin from Canada gropes women.

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Jul 5 2018, 05:02 PM
Post #41940

QUOTE (SkankinLibrarian @ Jul 5 2018, 01:36 PM) *
I know john Oliver did a show on whataboutism a while ago and you think your smart for watching him. But this is exactly how arguments work especially in the US legal system. I compared one situation to another situation. And now you are supposed to find a way to how that example doesnt apply here. Instead your ignorant ass just throws out buzz words with no idea what they mean or how to use them.

Your retarded ass is the reason trump will win reelection. You spout nonsense and condescend to anyone who doesnt agree with you. And because you found other fucktards who agree with you on the internet it just cause you to double down on your ignorance cause you are happy in your echo chamber. You are no smarter, no more wise, no more better then the fucking morons who post on the Donald.

I stopped watching Colbert and Oliver in February, so if he did a show on whataboutisms since then I honestly have no idea.

You are distracting from the issue (tearing immigrant children away from their mother as a detterrent) by bringing up a different issue "yeah, well The Candy Cane Forest tears infants way from criminals!" They are not the same thing. Trying to enter a country is NOT on the same level as manufacturing meth or murdering someone, or evading taxes, or being negligent. Children taken away from criminals will benefit in their development, immigrant children taken away from their parents will be deported and separated, benefiting no one. That children are taken away from criminals is done to help the children, children taken away from immigrants are being dehumanized and used as a deterrent. The two are not the same, it is a false equivalence. The fact that I'm spending time arguing this instead of focusing on the actual issue (your country functioning like nazi Germany) is how whataboutisms are supposed to work. Even if the facts were that taking children from criminals is as bad or worse than taking children from illegal immigrants, THEY ARE STILL TWO DIFFERENT FUCKING ISSUES. Talking about one distracts from the other; whataboutism.

Here, I'll make your argument for you:
Taking children from their families is a strong deterrent, and illegal immigration is reaching a crisis level in the US. The US' first priority is to defend itself and its citizens, and maintaining a border is crucial to maintaining sovereignty; additionally these measures are temporary until a permanent solution can be found.

Talk about the issue, not other issues, it truly is not difficult.

...what other fucktards? you think there's some group of people out there that all agree with me? In my experience, people hate science and facts when it conflicts with their world view; the only other forum I posted on with regularity was TokeCity and it's dead. I'm Grathwrang on reddit, you can see all 12 of my posts for yourself.

so go ahead and just keep defending one of the cruelest things a western democracy has done in the past decade, it's cool, it would be nice if you acknowledged how horridly abhorrent what you're defending is though.

"my viewpoint can't be incorrect, ohnoes must be a flaming shitbag idiot." Keep telling yourself I'm closed minded or that there is something flawed or wrong with me for thinking children shouldnt be ripped away from their families over trying to cross an invisible line.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2102 Pages V  « < 2095 2096 2097  2098 2099 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2018 - 07:20 PM