IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
ALBUM OF THE WEEK, 03/05/17 - 03/12/17 BIRD AND DIZ CHARLIE PARKER AND DIZZY GILLESPIE
Logan
post Mar 6 2017, 12:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 163

BIRD AND DIZ – CHARLIE PARKER AND DIZZY GILLESPIE

Spotify

CODE
https://mega.nz/#!iR0SjA4a!rwH1OyUYpIAvm1nm1210H5dFP9JPB2g94AdkLISc6TA

Bird and Diz is a studio album by jazz saxophonist Charlie Parker and trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie. It was recorded primarily on June 6, 1950 in New York City. Two tracks featured on the original pressing, "Passport" and "Visa", were recorded by Parker, without Gillespie and with a different personnel than that of the other tracks, in March and May 1949. The album was originally issued in 1952 in 10" format as a collection of 78 rpm singles on the Verve subsidiary label Clef Records.

Although produced by Norman Granz, known for large ensembles at the time, the album contains compositions performed with the standard bebop instrumentation of saxophone, trumpet, piano, bass, and drums. In a 1952 four-star review of Bird and Diz, a Down Beat magazine columnist wrote of Granz's contribution to the album's sound, stating "Though there is no mention of bop in Norman Granz'[s] notes, we owe him a salvo for reminding us through this LP that this music is still very much alive." It is the final collaborative studio recording by Parker and Gillespie, and has been reissued several times by Verve and PolyGram Records.

This post has been edited by Logan: Mar 6 2017, 12:29 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cockass
post Mar 9 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,063

Good shit.

--------------------
L'enfer, c'est les Autres.

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Mar 30 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #3

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 693

Completely forgot to chime in on this guy.

I like this record...but I'm not sure I'm really a "jazz guy".

Like, I dig just about any old school jazz record I've checked out (Birth of the Cool, Cool to be Blue, Caravan, etc), but I also never feel like, super stoked on it. I never go "oh wait, wait, wait...check this part out!" I'm always just kind of like "I am studying so fucking hard right now!"

I don't know, maybe that's sort of how it works? Ryan Gossling says its supposed to be "exciting", but I always just find it super relaxing.

Anyway, I dug this as much as I enjoy most jazz.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Mar 31 2017, 03:11 PM
Post #4

Terrible. Just terrible.

Member No.: 9,850

yeah so i listen to it, i liked it, but i'm clearly not a jazz guy. i dont have much to add to any discussion other than its good, go give it a listen.

--------------------
SHUT UP AND SKANK

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 12:05 PM