8 Pages V   1  2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Fitness Thread
dumbducky
post Feb 11 2015, 08:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,112

Since Punknroids is gone and no one posts about it anymore, I'm starting the new official fitness thread. I took my PT test this morning and maxed everything except the run. 69 (lol) push ups and 61 sit ups in a minute and 11:24 mile and a half which is the worst run time I've ever had. I seriously hate running and haven't seriously run in like 9 months. I think I"m going to try and max out on bench press to see where I'm at there. I'm hoping I'll be able to get 215, but I've always been shitty at staying regular with chest day so I'm not sure if I'll get it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sellout
post Feb 11 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #2

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10

5' 9''
143 lbs (down 25 lbs since 6 months ago)
67 push ups in a min (AF max)
9:47 1.5 mile (replicated twice within 1 second variance)

Six months ago my run time was in the 11's and always had been but I think losing the weight and running consistently helped. I usually run long distance at a casual pace. For the deployment, I ran 6.5 miles in an hour, 5 times a week for 6 months. I never pay too much attention to my mile time but it's in the 6's whenever I glance down at my stopwatch on my iPod. I've gone down to just 6 miles about 3 times a week just to maintain.

My goal now is to get my core in better shape through body weight exercises. Running improved my lower back muscles but I still need to work on my abs. I'm doing it for my well-being. I just feel better the stronger I get. I have more energy. I feel more flexible and able to do things. I'm 25 and although that isn't "old", I still feel like I feel better than most my age. Ideally, I'm going for a runner/gymnast build.

NUTRITION edit: I've done very little to change my diet. I think the excessive amounts of cardio are what really made the difference which is usually the opposite of what people say you should do. The only big change I can think of is unintentional portion control. While deployed, I'd fit as much as I could into a to-go box and that would be it. I never got plates or bowls because that encouraged excessive eating. I can eat like a fucking horse though and I'd always pile that to-go box sky high.

It's probably called something (paleo?) but I've just been eating a lot of meat and vegetables. I don't eat bread, rice, potatoes, noodles or anything that I just feel like will sit in my gut for a week. I think I'm lactose intolerant so cheese goes right through me. As far as liquids, I stick with gatorade, water, or juice. The sugar isn't alright, but I don't eat sweets at all so I feel like it's balances out.

I guess my best advice with nutrition is to listen to your body. If you have a bad feeling about eating something, it's probably bad for you. Fad diets are annoying. Eat less, exercise more to lose. Eat more, exercise more to gain.

This post has been edited by sellout: Feb 11 2015, 11:40 AM

+Quote Post
yepyep
post Feb 11 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 910

I weigh more than I have before by about 5 minutes, but thankfully it's mostly muscle. I was on a cruise last week, and one of my friends told me I looked like I was in the best shape I'd ever been in and another told me I was starting to develop a chest. So, basically I'm going from skinny but in ok shape to actually having a little muscle on me.

--------------------
Tokenly gay

+Quote Post
Bones
post Feb 12 2015, 12:12 AM
Post #4

mayor of boner city

Member No.: 1,715

I am 5'9" and 180 pounds. I eat burritos every day and smoke many more cigarettes than I should

I am in peak physical condition and there's nothing you can say to dissuade me from believing that

--------------------

+Quote Post
HighonFez
post Feb 12 2015, 01:12 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 612

Aside from the cigarettes, I'm with you. As I already discussed with a coworker this week: all food should be wrapped in tortillas.

I was doing really well until I went on tour with my friend's band last July and drank and ate and drank and ate and sat in a van for a month. I feel like I've aged rapidly since then. I used to bike commute 18-miles round trip to work. Since I moved in August I still bike a ton but it's always in 5 minutes intervals because everything's so damn close here. Double edged sword to be sure. Needless to say, I'm developing some gut.

So. I've started indoor climbing about once a week and I'm noticing a bit more upper body muscle, which is nice. I'm also starting swimming again, which I'm going to try to do at least twice a week. The University pool is always open on my lunch break between classes. That and I'm going to stop eating like I hate my body. And I'll start biking distance again when it warms up.

tl:dr; Can I still be in your club if I don't lift, bro?

This post has been edited by HighonFez: Feb 12 2015, 01:13 AM

--------------------

Hep, Hep.

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 12 2015, 01:53 AM
Post #6

screenplay!

Member No.: 38

You saying you don't even lift bro?

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Bones
post Feb 12 2015, 01:55 AM
Post #7

mayor of boner city

Member No.: 1,715

A Timely Meme

--------------------

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Feb 12 2015, 08:13 AM
Post #8

My workout partner dicked me over and and went without me. I didn't get to max out on bench and generally had a shitty, unmotivated workout. It was no bueno. But today's leg day so who gives a shit. Squats are life.

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 12 2015, 03:30 PM
Post #9

screenplay!

Don't be afraid to ask someone for a spot. I've never had someone refuse me, and I think this is one of those things where if you have someone do you a small favor they like you more. Everyone's always seemed really happy and eager to help spot even if they looked a bit... gruff before.

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 12 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #10

screenplay!

So yeah. Didn't hit my pr for bench press. Kind of a bummer, two reps off. Frustrating, since I'm at my heaviest weight. Probably a solid month until I break it.

Can't be that mad though, bench is something that's tough to progress on as quickly if you don't have a regular spotter, and I'm also killing my pr's every week in every other exercise.

Except pull-ups but whatever, I'm 30 lbs. heavier than I was when I hit my pr for it.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
RH
post Feb 12 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 18

haven't run since early january when i got a cold and then my job got too busy to do much active. i'll probably start back in a few weeks.

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Feb 12 2015, 09:55 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Feb 12 2015, 03:30 PM) *
Don't be afraid to ask someone for a spot. I've never had someone refuse me, and I think this is one of those things where if you have someone do you a small favor they like you more. Everyone's always seemed really happy and eager to help spot even if they looked a bit... gruff before.

It was more I was just not feeling it. I probably knew half a dozen people in the gym while I was there and I have no problem asking for a spot from strangers, but I decided to lower weight with more reps.

Got 255 for 3 reps on squat today. I was pretty happy with that. It's been awhile since I maxed out on squats, so I'll probably do that soon. I'm hoping for 280 or even 285.

+Quote Post
Justin
post Feb 12 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #13

Cthulhu!

Member No.: 73

Other than running, I do push ups (waaaaaaay less than you military peoples minute records though...), pull ups, curls, and some thing I read about somewhere that involves me lifting dumb bells straight out away from my body for 5 seconds or so at a time.

I miss the life I led when Bones' life sounded like any random tuesday afternoon though.

--------------------
"But no account of David can prove to me that life is not just a game. That is just what life is when it is beautiful and happy--a game! Naturally, one can also do all kinds of other things with it, make a duty of it, or a battleground, or a prison, but that does not make it any prettier. Good-bye, pleased to have met you!"
~ The Journey to the East

I like my women like I like my coffee... covered in BEES!!!!

QUOTE (Freeze Time)
Your not an alcoholic until you piss yourself while sitting at the bar and dont realise. Until then your just a moderate social drinker who has uptight friends.

+Quote Post
Wreck
post Feb 16 2015, 11:02 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,426

I'm 5'6", 138 lbs. Started beginning of January at 135 so pretty happy with gains so far. I think I see very small visual differences between my starting photos and now so I'm pretty happy about that. My traps and biceps have definitely gotten bigger. I'm trying to eat ~2500 calories a day (62 g fat, 345 g carbs, 138 g protein).

I'd kill for a 255 bench though. I just deloaded my squat after failing 5x5 165 a few times. I am trying something new with my form where I push outward with my knees and it felt a lot better. Hit 5x5 150 pretty easily today, so I'll give 160 a go on Wednesday. Otherwise, failed 3rd set of 5x5 110 bench. All my accessories went pretty well today.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 16 2015, 11:10 PM
Post #15

screenplay!

You can probably be gaining weight a little faster, up your calories

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Wreck
post Feb 16 2015, 11:22 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Feb 16 2015, 11:10 PM) *
You can probably be gaining weight a little faster, up your calories

You can only add 2 lbs of muscle a month, allegedly. The rest would be fat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 16 2015, 11:43 PM
Post #17

screenplay!

typically the most efficient way of gaining muscle is to gain one pound a week. It won't be just muscle, whoever told you you can only gain muscle is incorrect, but the point at which you can efficiently gain muscle while minimizing fat gain is about one pound a week.

but hey man, whatever works for you. so long as you're happy, which it sounds like you are.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
davey1212k
post Feb 16 2015, 11:48 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 282

doesn't it vary how fast your body can gain muscle? isn't that why there are classifications of body types? with muscle/fat gain rates being a significant factor in classification.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 16 2015, 11:51 PM
Post #19

screenplay!

no, it's pretty close to around a pound a week. Fluctuates by at most a half pound more or less, but those are pretty far outliers. If you do a pound and see super lean gains, you can up it a little until you start getting fat as well. If you do a pound a week and see too much fat, drop it down a little.

But for pretty much everyone just doing a pound a week is going to be a safe bet any differences are going to be miniscule and hard to track anyway if you're not at an elite level.

edit: pound a week of overall weight, i think that's going to be something like .5 lb of lean muscle. To gain efficiently you're going to get around 1/3-1/2 of that weight as fat, which is just how it goes. There are things called lean bulks though they're extremely inefficient, and you're STILL going to be gaining fat anyway.

This post has been edited by sonofaresiii: Feb 16 2015, 11:54 PM

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Wreck
post Feb 18 2015, 07:32 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Feb 16 2015, 11:51 PM) *
no, it's pretty close to around a pound a week. Fluctuates by at most a half pound more or less, but those are pretty far outliers. If you do a pound and see super lean gains, you can up it a little until you start getting fat as well. If you do a pound a week and see too much fat, drop it down a little.

But for pretty much everyone just doing a pound a week is going to be a safe bet any differences are going to be miniscule and hard to track anyway if you're not at an elite level.

edit: pound a week of overall weight, i think that's going to be something like .5 lb of lean muscle. To gain efficiently you're going to get around 1/3-1/2 of that weight as fat, which is just how it goes. There are things called lean bulks though they're extremely inefficient, and you're STILL going to be gaining fat anyway.

That's fair but IIFYM calculator basically told me my TDEE was around 2000 calories, so 2500 calories should be a lb a week. I guess the past month and a half is evidence my TDEE is a couple hundred calories more though. I'll consider upping to ~2700...I'm just scared because I gained weight soooooooo quickly last time I bulked in July, and that was at 2800ish calories.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1  2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 10:42 AM