IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Qs about Off With Their Heads and Daylight
RH
post Apr 2 2015, 06:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

1) So Off With Their Heads is playing in Paris when I'm there -- I just tried to find their three LPs online (torrents) and I couldn't find anything that wasn't behind some registration page on a weird russian website. are they in up the punks? it's damn near unsearchable.

2) anyone know anything about a pop punk band from barcelona called Daylight?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Apr 2 2015, 07:44 AM
Post #2

"I wonder if he has anything good on him..."

Member No.: 916

1. I'll up some tonight.

2. Nope.

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow Evermore @ Feb 20 2009, 11:36 PM) *
WILL YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP BLAARG I'M BUSY TRYING TO BE COOL ON THE INTERNET
QUOTE (jpmillman @ Oct 28 2009, 11:42 PM) *
That rules. You rule. High five.

+Quote Post
RH
post Apr 2 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #3

thanks, i appreciate it.

On another night I'm there, Against Me is playing, who I like but am not totally crazy about, and only know two records. I saw listed in bandsintown a show from this band Daylight whose logo said "barcelona pop punk". oh, cool, probably a smaller show. just now I watched some videos on youtube. three of the four songs were definitely not my jam. a little to pretty and polished for a "punk" band. they looked a lot younger in the fourth video and it kinda sounded like a typical drive thru band, but it looked like from the newer videos that they're a much larger and cheesier band now. guess i'm leaning toward against me or not going to a show that night.

ideally i'd get some intel on the local punk scene and find out about some much smaller scale shows.

+Quote Post
blaarg
post Apr 2 2015, 04:35 PM
Post #4

"I wonder if he has anything good on him..."

Member No.: 916

I only have the two most recent, but it's something.

CODE
Off With Their Heads - In Desolation - http://www.mediafire.com/download/610dtajgdtenjxs

CODE
Off With Their Heads - Home - http://www.mediafire.com/download/6dd3wtrkb0tdsjm

I love In Desolation. Home is good, but way too depressing for me.

Against Me! puts on a great live show, I'd recommend it even if you're not super familiar with them. Listen to the latest record and you'll be okay, I'm sure they'll play a lot of that (and it's a good record regardless).

This post has been edited by blaarg: Apr 2 2015, 04:39 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow Evermore @ Feb 20 2009, 11:36 PM) *
WILL YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP BLAARG I'M BUSY TRYING TO BE COOL ON THE INTERNET
QUOTE (jpmillman @ Oct 28 2009, 11:42 PM) *
That rules. You rule. High five.

+Quote Post
Wreck
post Apr 2 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,426

LMAO is that Barcelona Daylight band the one who forced the actually relevant Daylight to change their name to Superheaven?

--------------------

+Quote Post
RH
post Apr 3 2015, 08:51 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (blaarg @ Apr 2 2015, 05:35 PM) *
I only have the two most recent, but it's something.

CODE
Off With Their Heads - In Desolation - http://www.mediafire.com/download/610dtajgdtenjxs

CODE
Off With Their Heads - Home - http://www.mediafire.com/download/6dd3wtrkb0tdsjm

I love In Desolation. Home is good, but way too depressing for me.

Against Me! puts on a great live show, I'd recommend it even if you're not super familiar with them. Listen to the latest record and you'll be okay, I'm sure they'll play a lot of that (and it's a good record regardless).

Thank you very much! I saw them last year with the Menzingers and went home intending on buying one of their records, so I'll just buy the third one, and get one or both of these when I see them in france. Already listened to these a couple times and am into it.

Not sure if it's the same Daylight, when I was trying to find stuff out about the barcelona one, i came across a page listing all the different daylight bands and artists.. there's a US based rapper also using that name, and an emo band in michigan too I think.

As for Against Me, I came across this show listing, and I really dig the video for x25x, which is not a straight edge hardcore band like their name implies, but like a garage rock thing: http://pariskiwi.org/index.php/Agenda/Detr...3-2015_-Event_2. The other video i am not too keen on, and I like Against Me and have seen them before, but this show seems much more interesting even if one or two bands I don't like.

I saw there's a Sick of it All/Angel Du$t show in Zagreb one night we're there. Looks like we're doing that. Comeback Kid/Bane are in Paris two days before we arrive. goddamn. The same thing happened with Comeback Kid/Madball when I was in Krakow two years ago.

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Apr 3 2015, 09:00 AM
Post #7

No one should do any of this

Group: Psych Ward
Member No.: 295

Best band that makes me want to hate myself and drink a lot of whiskey and shoot myself

--------------------

+Quote Post
customconcern05
post Apr 8 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #8

I had a title once

Member No.: 665

maybe the shows I went to in paris just weren't punk enough or were too american and unfamiliar to everyone, but don't expect the crowd to be high energy.

--------------------
talkin shit about a pretty sunset

+Quote Post
RH
post Apr 9 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (customconcern05 @ Apr 8 2015, 05:00 PM) *
maybe the shows I went to in paris just weren't punk enough or were too american and unfamiliar to everyone, but don't expect the crowd to be high energy.

really? damn, that sucks. I was hoping to get kinda rowdy during off with their heads. I had heard the crows in euro go off for every band whether they know them or not.

+Quote Post
customconcern05
post Apr 17 2015, 09:36 AM
Post #10

I had a title once

Member No.: 665

QUOTE (RH @ Apr 9 2015, 03:10 PM) *
really? damn, that sucks. I was hoping to get kinda rowdy during off with their heads. I had heard the crows in euro go off for every band whether they know them or not.

It's hard to say mainly because I saw a lot of hipster-ish bands (the dodos, maps and atlases, explosions in the sky, animal collective). But i've seen people go absolutely nuts for animal collective in the states, in paris I was the only guy dancing and I felt like everyone was staring at me with disdain. For most of the shows it was like everyones feet were glued to the ground.. you might have better luck at a punk show though. Although this recent footage of run the jewels in paris gives me less hope: http://pitchfork.com/news/58227-run-the-je...la-blogotheque/. I love how they're is like "if we ever get old and play bar mitzvahs now we know what it'll be like" hahah I'm hoping the experience is better/more rowdy for you!

--------------------
talkin shit about a pretty sunset

+Quote Post
RH
post May 6 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #11

went to the show a couple nights ago. the venue was really cool, had a whole outside area with a food truck and a bar and lounge type space, and the inside was really nice too, except for a lot of pillers that must interfere with the mosh. but it looked like maybe 50 people were there, and most were there to see frenzil rhomb. off with there heads were good though. one guy was wearing a work jacket from Aamco in Cooktown NJ and I was like holy shit, are you from NJ? he said no and that he got it from a thrift shop in paris. so weird, i grew up less than a half hour from there, according to google.

about five or six people knew off with there heads. there was no moshing.

the first night in paris i saw this band in a restaurant basement bombshelter lookign space (http://x25x.bandcamp.com/album/distortion-of-life) and they were really good. got the LP home without breaking it!

+Quote Post
On & On & On
post Jun 5 2018, 05:11 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,738

Beep Boop. 3 years, 2 months, 1 week, 4 days.

--------------------
Bot Version 1.2: Would You Be Impressed if my shitty raspberry pi didn't lose internet connectivity twice a week?

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Jun 6 2018, 08:16 PM
Post #13

No one should do any of this

Group: Psych Ward
Member No.: 295

Still the best band that makes me want to die

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dondles
post Jun 8 2018, 10:19 AM
Post #14

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (customconcern05 @ Apr 8 2015, 10:00 PM) *

Judging purely from stereotypes, I am not even slightly surprised that Parisians would be so unmoved.

Elsewhere in France would likely be different, going off stereotypes again.

--------------------
QUOTE (Jabberjaw @ Nov 11 2006, 12:24 AM) *
Fuck off, Fondles.

Radio Image Screen Copy

+Quote Post
RH
post Jun 11 2018, 12:23 PM
Post #15

man, that was a fun trip. I went to Jersey! The actual island of Jersey!

i also drove along the normandy coast looking for WWII ruins and found lots of them. Thanks to the person from this board who did it on their trip and gave me some suggestions when I reached out!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 02:52 PM