Reply to this topicStart new topic
Working on a Pokemon game, GPS adventure game
sellout
post Feb 1 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10

I'm working on a Pokemon game that uses your smartphone, Google Maps and QR codes. Using Google Maps, you search lat/long coordinates to find a QR sticker. Once you scan that sticker using your smartphone, a Pokemon appears. Then you can screenshot it to catch it and save it to your "Pokedex".

Like this:

That's basically it, but I'm trying to make it more about the journey and encouraging exploration. It's the same appeal as geocaching. I'm going to purposely place certain types of Pokemon in appropriate areas. Grass types could be found at parks. Water types could be found under bridges near a stream or river. I've actually got pretty good plans for the legendary bird Pokemon. Moltres, specifically, will be located at the top of a local fire watch tower that is open to the public:

Essentially, the harder the journey, the rarer the Pokemon. For that tower, you have to walk half a mile down a boardwalk that goes out into the swamp, and then climb multiple flights of stairs to get to the top of it.

I'm still working out details. Coordinates alone are not enough to find a sticker. I tested it out with my smart phone and there's about a 15 ft variance between my actual location and where the coordinates take you. Hints to find each sticker will be necessary, which means I also need some sort of interface for the player. Something like this:

Seed Pokemon - Found on backside of bench between BLD 323 and 322 - Coordinates
Worm Pokemon- Found on western railing of boardwalk between rotten stump and tree - Coordinates

Anyways, it goes without saying that this will be a game that is kind of locked to my local area for now. I'm working on releasing Series 1, which will consist of 11 Pokemon. It'll serve as a demo and will let me know if there's enough interest to keep on releasing more. Tomorrow I'm printing out my stickers and scouting out areas for placement. Luckily, there haven't been any costs for the QR codes yet, but the yearly rate is $170 for the plan I would need after the free trial. Sticker costs would be minimal I'm guessing. You can do that shit at Wal-Mart, I think.

This post has been edited by sellout: Feb 1 2015, 08:10 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 1 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #2

screenplay!

Group: Members
Member No.: 38

Let me know if you want to expand to nyc, I'll stick some around for you.

I'm not climbing a swamp tower though.

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
davey1212k
post Feb 1 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 282

you can put rattatas all over the subway stations

--------------------

+Quote Post
rcon
post Feb 2 2015, 03:50 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,962

We're taking this to Shark Tank

--------------------
lol checkers and shit reel ska kid 4 lyf

+Quote Post
Spelster
post Feb 2 2015, 07:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,135

I assume this is going to be an app? I've actually done a lot of work with QR readers on phones, if you need any assistance.

--------------------
p00p11010101002pppqoqoo10111

+Quote Post
davey1212k
post Feb 2 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #6

how easy is app programming? I mean the cool stuff you do that utilizes gps and other cool data inputs that modern devices can receive

is it easier than regular computer software? I assume it has to be a little smaller than other software b/c it's on device. truth?
(sorry to sidetrack)

ALSO

this is a very good idea! any type of game or set of rules/structure to the idea of geo-caching is pretty cool. Now I haven't even research into the interwebs about this idea (b/c I don't have smart phone...gasp!), but is this type of thing up and coming? are there subreddits for this type of stuff?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spelster
post Feb 2 2015, 08:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,135

If you already have software experience, mobile development isn't very difficult at all. If you don't you'll be very frustrated and confused.

--------------------
p00p11010101002pppqoqoo10111

+Quote Post
sellout
post Feb 2 2015, 11:53 PM
Post #8

Banned

QUOTE (Spelster @ Feb 2 2015, 08:46 PM) *
If you already have software experience, mobile development isn't very difficult at all. If you don't you'll be very frustrated and confused.

Yeah, I have no experience doing this. At best, I'd have a mobile portal site with hints and links to coordinates. If this stirs interest, I really would like some help streamlining the experience.

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Feb 3 2015, 07:15 AM
Post #9

No one should do any of this

Group: Psych Ward
Member No.: 295

I wanna catch some pokemon in the everglades, surely nothing could go wrong

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 3 2015, 10:36 AM
Post #10

screenplay!

QUOTE (davey1212k @ Feb 2 2015, 08:19 PM) *
is this type of thing up and coming? are there subreddits for this type of stuff?

geocaching definitely is, but mini rpg-type games involving geocaching? Not so sure. I'm sure it's been done before, but I don't know if it's a significantly growing movement right now.

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sellout
post Feb 3 2015, 02:46 PM
Post #11

Banned

A few hiccups have come up. As it turns out, labels from Wal-Mart are not water proof in the slightest. They're just paper with adhesive on the back so I'm thinking about upgrading to vinyl stickers, but that means going to a local printing shop. That'll give me more time to fine tune some things.

+Quote Post
HighonFez
post Feb 3 2015, 03:05 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 612

This is actually pretty darn cool. I can give ideas for places and sticker locally if you ever need.

edit: The turnaround for vinyl stickers is actually pretty fast. Check some (semi-local) websites because they are efficient as hell at that stuff.

This post has been edited by HighonFez: Feb 3 2015, 03:06 PM

--------------------

Hep, Hep.

+Quote Post
davey1212k
post Feb 3 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Klonny @ Feb 3 2015, 07:15 AM) *
I wanna catch some pokemon in the everglades, surely nothing could go wrong

this ain't the safari zone, don't feed or throw rocks at the gators

--------------------

+Quote Post
sellout
post Feb 4 2015, 04:08 PM
Post #14

Banned

Ordered vinyl stickers today from a local shop and it was cheaper than expected, about $25 total. They should be long lasting and waterproof. The guy on the phone said they're the same thing used for decals on boats so I'm probably fine. I think he was just being nice by taking a small order like that. I'm sure they mostly do giant bulk orders.

Tomorrow I have to help my dad with his computer but after that I'll start scouting out locations for SERIES ONE. I'm going for the approach of asking for forgiveness, rather than permission. I feel like if I call up parks and rec, they'd give me a resounding hell no to putting up voodoo "marketing" stickers. On top of that, I've created a bad-ass portal page through Tumblr that is pretty fucking elegant but I'm not ready to show it yet. Once I get coordinates added to it and it's ready for my friends to play here, I'll show it.

edit: totally watched the Cones of Dunshire episode of Parks and Rec for the first time today and realized I'm totally doing that. One month off = bursting with creativity.

This post has been edited by sellout: Feb 4 2015, 04:11 PM

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Feb 4 2015, 07:14 PM
Post #15

screenplay!

as far as the guy being "nice" to take a small order goes, don't be so sure. They're probably still turning a profit on it and have tons of those small orders that help bring in the dough, but more importantly, they probably realize that by doing a good job for small stuff, they'll eventually groom customers who have larger orders.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Feb 5 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Feb 4 2015, 07:14 PM) *
as far as the guy being "nice" to take a small order goes, don't be so sure. They're probably still turning a profit on it and have tons of those small orders that help bring in the dough, but more importantly, they probably realize that by doing a good job for small stuff, they'll eventually groom customers who have larger orders.

Basically this. In a normal environment, then the smaller a company is, the more friendly you'll see employees to draw your business back. Its pretty obvious stuff, but during the early friendlier communal stages businesses tend to be a lot better handling orders. Befriending a young business is hardly a bad idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On & On & On
post Apr 6 2018, 05:23 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 19,738

Beep Boop. 3 years, 2 months, 1 week, 4 days.

--------------------
Bot Version 1.2: Would You Be Impressed if my shitty raspberry pi didn't lose internet connectivity twice a week?

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Apr 6 2018, 11:00 AM
Post #18

Terrible. Just terrible.

Member No.: 9,850

Pokemon go.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Klonny
post Apr 6 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #19

Imagine if he got this programmed before Pokemon go

--------------------

+Quote Post
Logan
post Apr 6 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 163

Yeah, wow. This is incredibly relevant. To be, somewhat, fair, Niantic was making location based games (Ingress) before Pokemon Go that were also incredible.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1  2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2018 - 04:30 AM