Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Apr 8 2018, 11:21 PM
Post #22

Failure, Complete and Utter.

Group: Members
Member No.: 711

Could he claim intellectual property theft using this thread as evidence?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Apr 9 2018, 11:11 AM
Post #23

screenplay!

Group: Validating
Member No.: 38

You mean regarding the intellectual property he didn't have permission to use?

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Apr 11 2018, 04:23 AM
Post #24

That seems irrelevant to the question I was asking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Apr 11 2018, 09:44 AM
Post #25

screenplay!

I'm just making sure you're asking whether or not he can claim intellectual theft on the intellectual property he used that was owned by someone else, or some other aspect. So it's relevant, because if you are talking about a claim against intellectual property that he never had permission to use, then no he would have no claim. If you're talking about, like, the concept of digital geocaching or something, then I'm still willing to bet no he would have no claim, but it would be more of a discussion I guess.

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
ohnoes
post Apr 11 2018, 05:47 PM
Post #26

What I'm getting at is: most script writers don't own the production rights to any films, but would be perfectly able to sue if they could prove a movie stole their script. This seems similar to me. I know software copyright law is kind of fucked, was wondering if it was fucked in sellouts favour is all. Would this be something that would need to be patented or would it need to be copyrighted? I donno, I know skankin tripped and fell into a bar exam once and I'm curious.

And I'd be talking about specifically applying the concept of combining geocaching/real world search and locate using your phone and the pokemon RPG concept.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Apr 12 2018, 10:10 AM
Post #27

screenplay!

The scriptwriter only owns the rights to their script if... they owned it. If someone were to write a Spider-Man script say as a fan film, they wouldn't own that in any way shape or form because they never had permission to use Spider-Man. Now they might get away with producing their fan film and putting it on youtube if Sony/Marvel didn't care enough to shut it down, but they'd have 0 chance of suing Sony/Marvel for making another Spider-Man film, even if Sony/Marvel stumbled their way into making something similar to the fan film.

That's not to say there might not be other copyrightable elements, but like I said, the only other thing there is the concept of geocaching on your phone, and you can't copyright a concept (it would be patent), and sellout probably wouldn't be able to claim any rights to digital geocaching anyway as I'm sure that's already been done. Simply combining geocaching with a property isn't enough for any kind of intellectual property protection, and if it was it wouldn't apply to sellout anyway since he doesn't own the property.

If he had been the first person to combine geocaching with ARG on your phone with collectible monsters? I dunno man, maybe there's something patentable there but probably not, he's probably not even the first person to do it.

There's not really any... like... story elements or anything with the game, so nothing to copyright there, and even if there was I think (but I'm not sure) that his claim to a copyright would be void since it was a derivative work of property he didn't have permission to use.

When sellout started this, it was a cool idea for a fan game that probably would have flown under the radar of nintendo unless it got too big. Now, it would almost certainly be immediately shut down if he tries to do it. Bummer, I know... but if he just changes it to non-owned properties, he could probably still go ahead with it.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
Boner City
post Apr 12 2018, 04:47 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 10,613

What if, instead of Pokemon, you catch members of Streetlight?

--------------------
QUOTE (BroRapingBonerCity @ May 1 2011, 11:01 PM) *
Boner City for life.

Get some Spoke Too Soon down ya!

+Quote Post
dumbducky
post Apr 12 2018, 05:12 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 11,112

Perhaps you play as an FBI detective and constantly catch Danceparty all over the world?

+Quote Post
sellout
post Apr 13 2018, 07:59 AM
Post #30

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10

Pokemon Go did it better. The only big hangup I have is that I feel like there should be more exclusivity to how you find certain Pokemon. As of now, it's fairly easy to catch a variety of different types without traveling less than 10 minutes from your house. Sure, here in the desert I can catch rock, ground, and fire types, but I think there should be a tier of certain Pokemon that are proportionally harder to catch in common backyard type areas. For example, I might be able to catch a Charmander or a Geodude outside of my dorm here in the desert, but if I wanted to catch a Ninetales or an Aerodactyl, I should have to visit somewhere less accessible, such as somewhere off base (still in a public place, obviously, but maybe like a park, nature trail, or some place actually designated as a "desert").

I know that would require a lot of work on the part of the developer to figure out how to procedurally generate geographic locations that are public, safe, and accessible, but I don't think it's impossible. I think there should be weekly events with certain Pokemon in certain "Safari Zones" to give people a reason to explore. I don't think most people play Pokemon Go to immerse themselves in nature, which I get isn't always even an easy thing to do. It was just the direction I was headed with it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2018 - 09:52 PM