5 Pages V   1  2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Oscar Club 2015, a ?rorshach? thread
?Rorshach?
post Jan 9 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 693

My old lady and I are trying to get caught up on all the potential Best Picture noms before the Oscars come around and I was thinking some of you dudes might want to try and watch them with me.

This isn't going to be anywhere near as structured as Album of the Week was and very well might just end up being my blogging what movies I watch, but I figure I'll post what I'm watching/what I watched along with my thoughts and you guys can either follow my lead or just do the same or...whatever.

The official noms won't be announced until next week, but after reading a few prediction sites, here's the list I'm working with,

Boyhood
Birdman
The Imitation Game
Selma
Gone Girl
Grand Budapest Hotel
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
Foxcatcher
Nightcrawler
Unbroken
American Sniper
A Most Violent Year
Into the Woods
Get on Up
Mr. Turner
Still Alice
Wild
Cake
Two Days One Night
The Judge
Snowpiercer

I didn't feel like categorizing them all, but basically if you've seen all of those movies, you'll have a pretty good impression of ever potential Best Picture/Actor/Actress/Director nom.

I've already seen a few of them (though I might rewatch them) but yeah...you guys get the idea.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Jan 9 2015, 01:49 PM
Post #2

I'm watching Into the Woods right now. Somehow I simoultaneously like it more and less than Les Mis, but ultimately its my opinion that movie musicals are sort of a dead genre. I guess that's weird to say given the popularity of Glee and High School musical or whatever, but I just can't help but feel awkward and uncomfortable staring at a screen in 2015 where people sing their thoughts and conversations.

I also just really can't stand Johnny Depp anymore. Dude feels like he was created by a Hot Topic marketing team and he needs to go away.

Oh and the Red Riding hood "the Big Bad Wold Ate Me" song is 100% about rape. No joke.

That said, Into the Woods is as good as it can be, I just don't think I'm their target audience (though I also can't say for sure who that audience is either).

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 9 2015, 02:13 PM
Post #3

screenplay!

Group: Validating
Member No.: 38

1) You listed American Sniper twice

2) I'll watch as many of these as I can "with" you, it's screener season so I should be able to get most of them from friends. I think I'm doing Imitation Game tonight or tomorrow, really excited for it.

3) Into the Woods is the one movie I really want to see, but the only people who would have gone with me have already seen it and I hate seeing movies by myself so I don't know what to do. I tried to get one of my friends to go, and his reaction was "I don't really watch kids movies dude." Which, despite how wrong it is, if that's his reaction there's no way I'm going to convince him to go... and I think that's the reaction all of my other friends will have.

4) I hated Birdman so much. So so much. Still calling it for best picture nod.

5) I dunno about your stance on musical movies being a dead genre dude. I mean we can trace it all the way back to Sound of Music and Wizard of Oz, it's obviously a genre that's going to stick around. Maybe it's just not your thing?

6) How many of these movies have you seen already? I've only seen 3-- Birdman, Gone Girl, Theory of Everything. Hated Birdman, had some issues with Gone Girl but it was entertaining, enjoyed Theory of Everything but i'll be surprised if it gets a best picture nod, it's pretty standard boy meets girl/struggles with debilitating disease type stuff.

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
davey1212k
post Jan 9 2015, 02:16 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 282

Geez, I never realized how many decent movies come out every year.

What about Inherent Vice? I haven't seen it so I don't know, but I thought that was pretty well received.

Also, has anyone seen Foxcatcher? I want to see that one

This post has been edited by davey1212k: Jan 9 2015, 02:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 9 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #5

screenplay!

Let's be clear though-- Potential Best Picture Oscar nomination != Good movie.

See: Birdman

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 9 2015, 02:18 PM
Post #6

screenplay!

It's neat how I arbitrarily capitalized some of those words but not others.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 9 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #7

screenplay!

I mean, is Potential Best Oscar Nomination a title? Then why didn't I capitalize Nomination? If it's not a title then why was Potential capitalized? And where the hell did that capital G come from on Good?

Mysteries of the universe, guys.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
davey1212k
post Jan 9 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #8

can you say what you didn't like about birdman without giving much away?

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 9 2015, 02:23 PM
Post #9

screenplay!

Sure, and to be fair almost everyone universally disagrees with me, so you should give it a shot regardless.

But...

1) Gimmicky

2) Too much subtext, not enough text

That said, it had some really awesome moments and the acting was fucking fantastic (everyone in that movie deserves an oscar).

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
RotatingHornSect...
post Jan 9 2015, 02:32 PM
Post #10

Will never get a cool title

Member No.: 702

Will see Foxcatcher today. Inherent Vice very soon just because of PT Anderson. Wanna see Whiplash but its nowhere in theatres around me?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkankinLibrarian
post Jan 9 2015, 02:40 PM
Post #11

Terrible. Just terrible.

Member No.: 9,850

I've seen 0 of the movies on that list.

--------------------

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Jan 9 2015, 02:49 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Jan 9 2015, 01:13 PM) *
1) You listed American Sniper twice

No I didn't.

2) I'll watch as many of these as I can "with" you, it's screener season so I should be able to get most of them from friends. I think I'm doing Imitation Game tonight or tomorrow, really excited for it.

Yeah, I downloaded almost all of them last night. A Most Violent Year and Cake were the only two I'm still struggling with finding.

3) Into the Woods is the one movie I really want to see, but the only people who would have gone with me have already seen it and I hate seeing movies by myself so I don't know what to do. I tried to get one of my friends to go, and his reaction was "I don't really watch kids movies dude." Which, despite how wrong it is, if that's his reaction there's no way I'm going to convince him to go... and I think that's the reaction all of my other friends will have.

Yeah, for me it's made for a pretty perfect "lazy couch in the middle of a snow day" movie. Has your girlfriend seen it already?

4) I hated Birdman so much. So so much. Still calling it for best picture nod.

Haven't seen it yet, but it's easily the movie I'm looking forward to the most.

5) I dunno about your stance on musical movies being a dead genre dude. I mean we can trace it all the way back to Sound of Music and Wizard of Oz, it's obviously a genre that's going to stick around. Maybe it's just not your thing?

See, this is sort of my point though. I feel like when film became a thing, it was the child of stage productions and so musicals were sort of a given (that's what acting WAS at the time). Over the years though, I just think movies have clearly come into their own as a medium an musicals have gone out of style.

I mean, over the past 10 years, how many blockbuster musicals have we really had? Moulin Rouge? Chicago? Rent? Shy of that, Les Mis was a major flop and Into the Woods is "meh" at best. That genre is looking at 1 semi-successful film every 2 or 3 years and even that seems a resurgence compared to 20 years ago (I can't for the life of me name a successful musical from the 90s). Put that up against the the 1950s (Singin in the Rain, The King and I, White Christmas, Annie Get Your Gun...etc) and it's hard to deny that musicals aren't the power house they once were.

To be totally clear, this is coming from a HUGE fan of stage musicals. The sets/costumes/production/performances are absolutely flooring and I love them; I just think maybe what makes it so impressive is that it's happening right before my eyes. When you take a year and a half of multitrack recording and studio editing, the magic is just sort of lost.

6) How many of these movies have you seen already? I've only seen 3-- Birdman, Gone Girl, Theory of Everything. Hated Birdman, had some issues with Gone Girl but it was entertaining, enjoyed Theory of Everything but i'll be surprised if it gets a best picture nod, it's pretty standard boy meets girl/struggles with debilitating disease type stuff.

Actually, I only saw Interstellar (forgot this one on the original list) and Gone Girl (and now, Into the Woods). I'm way behind this year.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 9 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #13

screenplay!

I was going to suggest interstellar, but I don't know if it'll make the list actually. Nolan has never been a favorite of the Academy, and they usually ignore blockbuster Sci fi movies.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 9 2015, 02:57 PM
Post #14

screenplay!

Cinematography nod for sure though, and probably the win.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
davey1212k
post Jan 9 2015, 03:15 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (?Rorshach? @ Jan 9 2015, 02:49 PM) *
Shy of that, Les Mis was a major flop

I don't see this being true financially or critically or any other way. Yes, the movie could've been better (cinematography, Russell Crowe etc.), but the show itself is pretty much the perfect musical so it would've taken serious work to really ruin it and I don't think they came close to doing that. I mean, listening to Eponine sing "On My Own" still moves me to tears whether I'm watching the movie or a live performance MAJOR flop??? No.
edit: 1 other point on Les Mis. I appreciated a new look at such a classic show. Even though I still feel the end product wasn't as perfect as the show itself, seeing it as a movie didn't ruin anything for me.

Put that up against the the 1950s (Singin in the Rain, The King and I, White Christmas, Annie Get Your Gun...etc) and it's hard to deny that musicals aren't the power house they once were.

This is true. There was a certain magic about movie musicals in the golden age. Some of my favorites among those also included Hello Dolly, Music Man, Bye Bye Birdie. But the musical is still an art form that I, and many others love. Maybe it depends on your friends, but I have 3 solid friends that really genuinely love musicals and when we jam together we cover songs from musicals just as often as we cover Frank Turner songs. Since I can't always afford to go to Broadway shows, I like that they continue to make movie versions. They're doing Wicked soon and that will be something I totally will want to see. They did Peter Pan Live this year and while it wasn't perfect (Allison Williams missed some points and Christopher Walken wasn't as great as I hoped) I'm still REALLY glad they did it.

edit: last thing. I hope I don't come across as upset or anything by my disagreement, I just have strong opinions. Still I understand, "different strokes for different folks"
The sets/costumes/production/performances are absolutely flooring and I love them; I just think maybe what makes it so impressive is that it's happening right before my eyes. When you take a year and a half of multitrack recording and studio editing, the magic is just sort of lost.

Les Mis was sung-through live...but it was autotuned (especially Russell Crowe) after the fact so there's that. If big studios just didn't feel the need to overproduce major releases I think the modern movie-musical could be better. The fuckin Sound of Music soundtrack was a huge selling record and they didn't overproduce any of that shit.

This post has been edited by davey1212k: Jan 9 2015, 03:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Jan 9 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (davey1212k @ Jan 9 2015, 02:15 PM) *
I don't see this being true financially or critically or any other way. Yes, the movie could've been better (cinematography, Russell Crowe etc.), but the show itself is pretty much the perfect musical so it would've taken serious work to really ruin it and I don't think they came close to doing that. I mean, listening to Eponine sing "On My Own" still moves me to tears whether I'm watching the movie or a live performance MAJOR flop??? No.

I guess this is fair. I think I was just disappointed enough that my memory is a little jaded, but after looking it up, you're right that it did well enough financially and received fair reviews.

That said though, I still think it was a huge disappointment and have yet to meet anyone who really loved it. I couldn't agree more that Anne Hathaway was incredible, but Eponine is alive for what? 30 minutes? She get's 3 songs and one solo, then she's gone. On My Own was excellent, but can you seriously pick a "second best" song in that movie?

I agree about Peter Pan though. It's like I said, I think there's just something special about a live performance and for me at least, that's critical in a musical.

--------------------

+Quote Post
davey1212k
post Jan 9 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (?Rorshach? @ Jan 9 2015, 03:26 PM) *
I guess this is fair. I think I was just disappointed enough that my memory is a little fucking sexy, but after looking it up, you're right that it did well enough financially and received fair reviews.

And I'm probably too praising of it, so we're both in the same boat.

That said though, I still think it was a huge disappointment and have yet to meet anyone who really loved it.

You're right. It's not gonna be someone's top movie-musical.

I couldn't agree more that Anne Hathaway was incredible, but Eponine is alive for what? 30 minutes? She get's 3 songs and one solo, then she's gone. On My Own was excellent, but can you seriously pick a "second best" song in that movie?

I think you're thinking of Fantine's "I Dreamed A Dream" which actually is my #1 and made me ball my eyes in the theatre. Eponine's "On My Own" is the one the black haired chick she sings for Eddie Redmayne when she realizes he'll never love her. Both very worthy of tearjerking.

Obviously I'm very biased so it's hard for me to separate my favorite songs (of which there are a lot) from the show and what was genuinely because of the movie performance. But Anne Hathaway and Eponine (can't think of the actress) both did excellent.

ANYWAY, we're talking about 2015 nominations so sorry for taking the conversation off track. Definitely have to see Into the Woods. I saw it at a local theatre when I was pretty young so I don't remember it much. Seeing the movie will be a fresh experience and I'll probably be more critical of it than I am with Les Mis

This post has been edited by davey1212k: Jan 9 2015, 03:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Jan 9 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (davey1212k @ Jan 9 2015, 02:37 PM) *
I think you're thinking of Fantine's "I Dreamed A Dream" which actually is my #1 and made me ball my eyes in the theatre. Eponine's "On My Own" is the one the black haired chick she sings for Eddie Redmayne when she realizes he'll never love her. Both very worthy of tearjerking.

Obviously I'm very biased so it's hard for me to separate my favorite songs (of which there are a lot) from the show and what was genuinely because of the movie performance. But Anne Hathaway and Eponine (can't think of the actress) both did excellent.

Haha, I guess this is sort of the ultimate "touche"

I'll be curious to hear what you dudes think of Into the Woods. Over the course of it, I went from "eh, this is fine but could be better" to "seriously, what the fuck is going on?"

The performances were all pretty solid though and it was kind of cool at the end when the credits rolled and my girlfriend and I kind of realized "oh yeah wow...I guess there really were only like 8 people in that whole thing"

Still though, I'm giving that one a B- at best.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 9 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #19

screenplay!

Ohhh you didn't see the stage version? Yeah dude, Sondheim uh... Sondheim gets dark. It takes a weird twist. I'm interested to see how they deal with The Narrator. Wait, is there even a narrator?

Wait, don't tell me.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
RotatingHornSect...
post Jan 9 2015, 07:28 PM
Post #20

Will never get a cool title

Member No.: 702

Foxcatcher is a very compelling movie. Go into it knowing nothing about it and you'll enjoy it even more. It's made me want to read everything there is to know about the main characters and Team Foxcatcher.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1  2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2018 - 12:36 PM