5 Pages V  < 1 2 3  4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Oscar Club 2015, a ?rorshach? thread
?Rorshach?
post Jan 15 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #41

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 693

Watched Grand Budapest Hotel on Tuesday and Boyhood last night.

Grand Budapest sort of surprised me. I generally like Wes Anderson well enough, but never consider myself a real Wes Anderson fan. I guess I feel like I can respect the fact that he's an absolute master who flawlessly communicates exactly the feel and aesthetic that he means to...I just don't usually care that much for said feel and aesthetic.

Moonrise Kingdom I liked a lot though and Grand Budapest I liked even more than that. I don't know if it's that because he's getting better/coming around to a more accessible style OR if it's just that finally I'm not surrounded by people gushing about him and over hyping his shit before I ever get a chance to check it out.

Anyway, bearing in mind that I still haven't seen either Birdman or American Sniper, this is my favorite for Best Picture.

Boyhood was also very good, though I feel like 60% of what made it so awesome was the unique and super dedicated filmmaking process. I thought the plot was good, but nothing especially new or phenomenal.

To be totally clear though, I don't mean to take anything way from what made this film so special either. Watching the actors actually age and the nods to real culture references of the time gave the film this very cool almost documentary like sense of plausibility and sincerity that I really loved...I just wish that it could have had something a little fresher to say in the process.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RotatingHornSect...
post Jan 15 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #42

Will never get a cool title

Group: Members
Member No.: 702

I agree pretty much Dylan. The process is incredible. However, I thought that the main cog (the kid) was the least remarkable thing in the movie. I thought he had the weakest performance. On the other hand, he did seem like just a normal kid reacting to fairly normal stuff and that's really all the movie needed him to be.

I also thought the movie would have been just as good if they used different actors throughout, but who knows.

The documentary feel is something I felt too. It really did feel like these were real life drop ins on a real family. That is something you definitely DO NOT get in most film. I think that's a really understated achievement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
davey1212k
post Jan 15 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 282

I really disliked the kid. He was pretty selfish and seemed detached from all of the people around him. Now that might've been the point, but he was still unappealing in character.

That said, I enjoyed the experience of watching the movie

--------------------

+Quote Post
RotatingHornSect...
post Jan 15 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #44

A lot of teens are selfish. I think his detachment was how he dealt with his rough upbringing (two drunken step fathers).

--------------------

+Quote Post
davey1212k
post Jan 16 2015, 08:30 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 282

yeah and it totally was, and we all have a bit of it in us when we are in our adolescence, but I thought his was off the charts. Like when he was going off to college and couldn't understand why his Mom wanted him to take his first photograph and he didn't do it--I really didn't like this. It seemed like a diss to the person who showed him the most amount of love in his whole fucking life. Now the detachment is an understandable response to the situation he was in, but I felt like at the end I still wasn't sure if he was moving beyond this and "grew" as a person. Boyhood 2: Adulthood...stay tuned?

(side note--I didn't see the second father as such a bad guy besides the fact that he drank too much. He really didn't seem like an asshole in the scenes they gave him.)

This post has been edited by davey1212k: Jan 16 2015, 08:31 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
yepyep
post Jan 16 2015, 09:26 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 910

I thought the kid in Boyhood did a really good job. It was a very nostalgic feeling for me. He reminded me almost exactly of a very close friend I had growing up, selfishness detachedness, and all. Regarding the plot being kind of eh, I agree, but for me that was part of the brilliance of the movie. I think if there was some big engrossing plot line, it would've taken away from the idea that this was just a movie about a family growing up, and it would've made the movie feel too fake or manufactured.

--------------------
Tokenly gay

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Jan 16 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #47

QUOTE (davey1212k @ Jan 16 2015, 07:30 AM) *
(side note--I didn't see the second father as such a bad guy besides the fact that he drank too much. He really didn't seem like an asshole in the scenes they gave him.)

See this to me was the coolest part of the whole movie.

There was nothing wrong with that dude, but we all assumed the worst in him because of the monster that her first husband was...which is exactly what the protagonist and his mom did too.

Seriously, we never really see him having a drinking problem. He has a beer at dinner while he goes "you dress a little gay", which isn't exactly a nice thing to say, but it's pretty common dad bull shit and he never goes anywhere with it or loses his shit. Then he has a beer in his hands while he waits up for dude to get home after breaking curfew and chews him out a little bit about being disrespectful...which the kid totally is.

He never hits him or berates him or...anything. He's honestly just a step father trying to make the most of two fucked up people.

But we the viewer kind of go "oh man not again" as soon as we see him having a beer...which is exactly what the characters do too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 16 2015, 08:13 PM
Post #48

screenplay!

Member No.: 38

Interstellar didn't get even a nomination for cinematography, so like, wtf?

--------------------
QUOTE (The Virgin Mary @ Aug 29 2010, 10:43 PM) [snapback]367127[/snapback]
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Jan 17 2015, 12:55 PM
Post #49

We did Birdman the other night.

That was definitely the movie I was the most excited about and when Alex said everyone loved it but him, that's usually a pretty strong indicator that I'm going to love it...but I seriously didn't care for it at all. I have a lot of respect for what it was, but it just wasn't really for me (a common thread with these Best Picture nominees it seems).

The cinematography was great. The whole super extended continuous follow shot was really impressive and I think did an excellent job of communicating the pace and insanity of the whole thing.

The cast was really terrific too. The intensity of all those monologue close ups was great and I loved the use of mirrors to get all that facial expression in every dialog.

That said, it just wasn't a premise that really resonated with me and while I get that it was supposed to be one of those "comedies but it's not funny" things, I didn't find it absurdist (or whatever) enough to get wrapped up in the whole thing.

It's my new "good movie, but not my favorite movie"

--------------------

+Quote Post
RotatingHornSect...
post Jan 17 2015, 01:02 PM
Post #50

Whiplash was awesome. JK Simmonds totally nailed his performance and I think he's got a really strong chance. I love how grounded the movie was especially compared to the more off the wall ones like Birdman and Budapest Hotel.

Got some of the vibes I got from Black Swan just seeing somebody really trying to excel in a craft I no nothing about but respect a lot when you see how much work these people throw into it. Felt like an earlier Aronofsky movie.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RotatingHornSect...
post Jan 17 2015, 01:15 PM
Post #51

The final sequence of Whiplash was incredible. How it all played out will stick with me for a long time. Very memorable. Very nerve racking. High tension stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 17 2015, 02:08 PM
Post #52

screenplay!

I really wanna see foxcatcher. I think that's top on my most wanted list, followed by boyhood.

But really, besides the people hailing birdman as a new era of cinematic masterpiece or whatever, everyone seems to be on the same page that most of the best picture movies are good, not great.

--------------------
Also, while European women aren't usually fat, most smoke, which is a huge turnoff for me personally. But really, what the fuck...it's just a one night stand anyways, so who cares at that point.

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 17 2015, 02:09 PM
Post #53

screenplay!

Also i suspect to be under whelmed by boyhood. Everyone saying the idea of it is cooler than the actual movie is usually one of the things that bugs me about movies.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
?Rorshach?
post Jan 18 2015, 01:39 PM
Post #54

Watched the Imitation Game last night. It fits with my opinion of all the Best Picture noms I've seen; great plot, but nothing especially new or compelling artistically (as opposed to Boyhood or Interstellar which I thought were "great film, boring story").

I really liked that movie a lot, though I don't think it was any new, either as a film or for anyone involved. Cumberbach was great and spot on as an obnoxious and socially clueless genius...but that's literally all that dude knows how to play it seems. Keira Knightly played "smart woman in sexist society" as well as anyone plays that part. Someone once told me that when a director sucks, you notice, when a director is good, you don't and when a director is great, you do. Tyldum is a good director..

That said, great story, very fun to watch, really enjoyed it a lot...just not sure that any of that justifies a "Best Picture" win.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HighonFez
post Jan 20 2015, 04:15 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 612

QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Jan 12 2015, 03:48 PM) *
I don't know how they divvy up the categories, but I really wonder if the producers pushed for it to be comedy so there'd be less competition.

I'm sure that's it.

I liked Birdman a lot. I definitely didn't laugh a whole lot but there were a lot of wry smiles. I think the premise of the movie is bizarrely close to the premise of most Wes Anderson movies, except that every other possible thing is completely different. I kinda wish they would have been a bit more obvious about whether he's just schizophrenic or has powers or not, but I get that movies want to be ambiguous. Overall, great performances, and the almost entirely solo jazz drum score goes great with the insanity going on inside his head.

Also, I kind of wish some Birdman movies had been greenlit at some point in the 90s. Would've been incredible.

This post has been edited by HighonFez: Jan 20 2015, 04:15 PM

--------------------

Hep, Hep.

+Quote Post
Mengde
post Jan 21 2015, 04:23 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 845

I saw inherent vice and liked it more than most things this decade

--------------------

QUOTE (SkankinLibertarian @ Sep 9 2009, 08:30 PM) *
sorry for trying to culture you

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 24 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #57

screenplay!

Saw Foxcatcher. I dunno. Definitely can't say I loved it. Can't say I hated it. Somehow don't feel so so about it either. I've never felt so strongly about a movie I didn't feel anything about. Probably not worth watching, even though all the individual parts-- writing, acting, directing-- are really well done.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 24 2015, 09:05 PM
Post #58

screenplay!

I think maybe part of it is I had no idea what to expect. All I knew going in was it's a true crime drama starring Steve Carell as a psychotic millionaire. That is a terrible description of the movie, though technically accurate.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 25 2015, 09:45 AM
Post #59

screenplay!

Also did boyhood yesterday. It was worth watching I guess, but at the end of the day I think my problem with it is the same one everyone else had, which is the same one I have for like 90% of Linklater films. It just felt like at the end of two (and a half!) Hours... a bunch of people talked about stuff and philosophized about life and whatever, but no one really did or accomplished anything. It was a neat way of making a movie, but I think overall trying to do what he did just limited the story telling a ton.

it just felt like a two and a half hour LiveJournal post. Or to be more specific, filming twelve years worth of one random, nonexceptional kid's LiveJournal posts.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post
sonofaresiii
post Jan 25 2015, 09:51 AM
Post #60

screenplay!

QUOTE (HighonFez @ Jan 20 2015, 04:15 PM) *
I'm sure that's it.

I liked Birdman a lot. I definitely didn't laugh a whole lot but there were a lot of wry smiles. I think the premise of the movie is bizarrely close to the premise of most Wes Anderson movies, except that every other possible thing is completely different. I kinda wish they would have been a bit more obvious about whether he's just schizophrenic or has powers or not, but I get that movies want to be ambiguous. Overall, great performances, and the almost entirely solo jazz drum score goes great with the insanity going on inside his head.

Also, I kind of wish some Birdman movies had been greenlit at some point in the 90s. Would've been incredible.

Re your spoiler (more spoilers ahead) I felt the exact same way, thinking "dude just tell me, is he crazy or magic?" Until near the end he starts flying everywhere... but actually is just taking a cab (thats also the scene where Birdman is actually there and convincing him to save the world or whatever). So finally I'm like ok, got it. He's crazy.

Then the end he flies out the window and Emma stone is like oh you're flying! And I'm like "wtf, so now she's crazy too? Or she's just gaining his ability to see the world through an artist's eyes? Or can he really fly now? Wtf? You know what, i don't even care."

It was pretty annoying.

--------------------

FORE SCIENCE !!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3  4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2018 - 10:25 AM