Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ATTN ?Rorshach?
Streetlight Manifesto Unofficial Forum > RISC > Streetlight Manifesto
HolyGuacamole
jk no spoilers. we already know wtf happens
sounds like all your worries come to life edit: a lot of people still liked it/thought it was the best adaptation that could be done etc.

"its not the disaster the trades are making it out to be, but it is a fascinating failure.

it has some truly great parts to it. all the rorshach and niteowl stuff, moloch... it's all great.

but when it slavishly holds to the book it falls flat on it's ass. humorless, flat, passionateless. when it decides to be a movie, it sings.

but it is the victim of some truly bad choices made in pre production. as seen on the movie posters and trailers, dr. manhattan does not work. it looks like a rejected character from soul caliber circa ps2. it's a distractingly bad effect that hurts what looks like a pretty great turn by billy crudup.

same with some of the costumes, or at least how they were lit. every ten minutes or so it veers into sci fi channel original programming bad. only to be saved a few minutes later by some visual kick assery.

i was not bored. not even for a second. but as we walked out of the movie the words: too long, too long, too long echoes through the theatre. i didn't care. it only points out that the movie shouldn't have been a movie, maybe a longer mini series.

maybe the director should have gone with his first instinct and not even bothered.

like chinatown 2 and godfather 3, this movie was inevitable. none of those movies are bad btw, just judged by thier weakest parts.

alan moore's name is not to be found, and that is truth in advertising.

at least we'll get an end ot the alan moore: i don't read comics or go see movies because i know they all suck interviews. they make me feel bad for him.

i will now take these lessons and apply them to the powers pilot.

i'm not dc bashing, loved dark knight.

and i really hope you guys go and see it. it's very much worth your time and money. its a hell of a conversation piece."
s1ckd00d
needz moar rotating horn sectionsss
HolyGuacamole
gtfo of my thread s1ckdood!!
Crow Evermore
No... ;_; I don't know what to say to this...
tobias19
From Aintitcool.com

Before I get started, I'm going to give a very brief rundown for those who don't want to read the entire review: it's very, very, very good. Not a sublime work of perfection, but probably as close to brilliant as we're likely to get. 9 out of 10, verging on the high end of 9.

Now to the review proper. I'm afraid I have no deep, personal story about how "Watchmen" shaped my childhood. As a matter of fact, I didn't really read any comics until a couple of years ago when I became friends with some comic geeks who introduced me to the best of the genre. "Watchmen" was amongst them, and reading it was certainly the key moment when I realised that comic strips could be literature.

That said, I have no particular emotional tie to the source material. I didn't think we'd see it made into a film because I simply couldn't see how that story would be properly condensed without being either convoluted or a pale imitation of what made the book great. Director Zack Snyder and screenwriters David Hayter and Alex Tse deserve a lot of credit for managing to avoid both extremes. The film rockets along, and even the small moments feel exciting and dangerous. One of the reasons I've softened on TWILIGHT -- god, am I really name-checking TWILIGHT in a WATCHMEN review? -- is that TWILIGHT managed to create a real sense of place. It's not an easy thing to do, which is why we've seen the same version of New York in hundred of different films. WATCHMEN has a tremendous sense of place (but, unlike TWILIGHT, also makes the rest of the movie good as well), thanks to the unparalleled production design of Alex McDowell. Remember the other week when I was talking about non-directors being so good at what they do, they are essentially auteurs? (Thomas Newman in composing, Thelma Schoonmaker in editing, Charlie Kaufman in writing, etc...) I should have included McDowell on that list; the work he's done over his career, from THE CROW to FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS to FIGHT CLUB to THE TERMINAL, has been jaw-dropping, and THE WATCHMEN stands as a contender for his best work ever. It's truly stunning.

The casting, too, is largely brilliant. Billy Crudup's otherworldliness in portraying Dr Manhattan is neither over-the-top nor underplayed. It's such a perfect balance. The character could have been a parody, or they could have made him human and let his facade slip a little, but they didn't. They walked the line flawlessly; both in terms of FX and performance, Dr Manhattan is the standout of the film. Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Carla Gugino (even when her makeup makes her look like Stockard Channing), Malin Akerman, and especially Jackie Earle Haley are perfect in their roles. Haley is an inspired choice for Rorschach, and as with Comedian and Dr Manhattan, his character is not toned down at all to appeal to the masses. It's something I think I took for granted in the film, but as I write about it, I'm becoming aware of how many potential bullets this film avoided. It's actually quite remarkable how well they did it. The same goes for Patrick Wilson. I really dig Patrick Wilson, but I couldn't see him as Nite Owl. The casting just didn't fit for me. Boy, was I wrong. Wilson is unrecognisable; Nite Owl is exactly as he was in the book.

Matthew Goode as Adrian Veidt is very good, but I wish he was ten years older. There's nothing wrong his performance at all, but he's too young, too slim. This is a role that should have gone to a Jude Law or even a Tom Cruise; someone who still looks movie star immaculate, but looks like they've gone through the ringer a bit. This is one of the few roles that would have benefitted from Cruise's baggage. Still, Goode is... I don't want to make the nominative pun, but he is very, very surname. Just a tad miscast.

I'm glad I've been able to rave about the film for so much of the review. My tendency is, sometimes, to focus on the negative, even if that negative makes up an incredibly small percentage. As I said, I didn't realise how good the film is while I was watching it, because I expected it. I expected the Comedian to be violent and psychopathic; generally things only stand out when they're done wrong. So full credit to the 98% of the film that gets it right.

Zack Snyder really is the real deal, and the majority of his work in this is sublime. It's not perfect, however. For every The Times They Are A Chanin' montage, there's a sequence in Vietnam with Ride of the Valkyries over it. Really? Ride of the Valkyries? Is it a completely inappropriate homage, a lazy piece of direction, or a placeholder you forgot to change before release? It's a bizarre choice because it's so uniform and cliched, and stands out because the rest of the film isn't. And though I don't really love the use of the ramp-up, ramp-down style used to appropriate effect in 300, it doesn't overwhelm the film.

I am left to wonder how well this film is going to do. Not to be uber-cynical about it, but it's almost too good for the masses. I really don't know how it's going to play to people who haven't read the book and don't really know what to expect. Do people really want a big budget deconstruction of superheroes with moral ambiguity and unanswered questions? Even if it is as violent as this?

Make no mistake, the film is violent. There's violence, there's sex, there's naked Dr Manhattan. It really is truly impressive how much they've managed to keep from the book. Hat tip to Warners for not watering it down. Between this and the freedom they gave Christopher Nolan on DARK KNIGHT, DC properties might just have a chance to bounce back and rival Marvel.

Undoubtedly, this is THE comic book film of the year. I can't imagine the film being done much better than this, and even though I have minor quibbles, they are minor, and don't detract from what is a truly terrific film.

From Hitfix.com
But more than anything, what I found most bracing about the experience of finally seeing this onscreen is that it pushes the genre further than it's ever been pushed before. It demands more of viewers than any superherho movie previously released. It sets up a moral question at the end of the film that can't be easily answered, and it doesn't even try. It expects you to have your own reaction, and it treats viewers like adults, a rarity from any Hollywood film, much less one featuring characters with names like Nite Owl and Hooded Justice. And, amazingly, it works as a movie. It has its own rhythm, taking its time to lay out this complicated story, but it constantly delights with details both small and grand, and the cumulative impact is far more emotional than I would have expected. This isn't a case of a film being "good enough," and I'm not "just glad there's some version of it finally." It is a triumph, a movie that amazes on its own terms, and a major jump forward for Snyder as a filmmaker. He's on a very short list now of guys I would trust with world-building on an epic scale, and from this point forward, whatever Snyder's got in store for us, I'm onboard.

It's a matter perspective.
?Rorshach?
toby youre right, it is all a matter of perspective...but that perspective comes down to this,

QUOTE (tobias19s guy @ Mar 3 2009, 09:56 AM) *
That said, I have no particular emotional tie to the source material.

QUOTE (Brian Michael Bendis @ Mar 3 2009, 05:24 AM) *
im brian fucking michael bendis

i think this movie is going to be entertaining for people that have never read the book...hell, i think its probably going to be pretty entertaining for people that are in love with the book...but i dont think its going to be anymore than that. zach snyder keeps talking about how watchmen is going to do for super hero movies what it did for comics...thats just not going to happen. theres some things that comics can do that movies just cant, and i think on friday were all going to see exactly that.

that said...im probably going to a midnight showing. it should be fun...just not life changing.
sonofaresiii
also, the whole concept of showing these superheroes as they exist in a real world, as real people, with real dilemmas, AND that they're retired, AND unwanted by the people they're "protecting," was a new idea at the time, which is part of why it was so innovative and all that jazz. It's not a new concept anymore, so it can't be as innovative. At least, not in the same way.
HolyGuacamole
from his review, it sounds like it is a good movie, BUT as an adaptation, in some areas it sucks a lot. so as long as i pretend that i read the watchmen like 10 years ago, i'll probably love it.
tobias19
cinemablend just gave it an amazing review

What matters most is that this is a movie with ambition, a movie with balls, a movie unafraid to tear across the screen leaving a trail of broken lives and unanswered, frightening questions in its wake. It revels in moral bankruptcy and delights in forcing on its characters into unmakeable choices. Stunning visuals exist in the service of ideas, not cheap thrills. It hinges not on some particular, awe-inspired action sequence, but on the quiet conversations of people struggling to save a world gone made. They’re different from us only in that when they talk, instead of punctuation marks, they use fists. When the material on which it’s based first hit stands, it forever changed the world of superhero comics. If successful, Watchmen may do the same for superhero films.

4.5/5
HolyGuacamole
QUOTE (tobias19 @ Mar 3 2009, 09:43 PM) *
cinemablend just gave it an amazing review
4.5/5

well i was using bendis, cuz well he writes comics and all. he's a fucking nerd. but yeah it seems like 80% chance i will enjoy it thoroughly
tobias19
I'm posting good reviews as much for my own reassurance as I am to counteract the negative. The film has 70-something percent on rotten tomatoes right now, and I'm anything but a film critic, so unless I read a lot of negative reviews and am aware of every fault a critic finds in a movie, I'm pretty much guaranteed to like it.
?Rorshach?
QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Mar 3 2009, 03:01 PM) *
also, the whole concept of showing these superheroes as they exist in a real world, as real people, with real dilemmas, AND that they're retired, AND unwanted by the people they're "protecting," was a new idea at the time, which is part of why it was so innovative and all that jazz. It's not a new concept anymore, so it can't be as innovative. At least, not in the same way.

i think this is an interesting and really important point to make. for a few years, youre going to see some very mature and serious changes in the super hero movie genre, and some people are going to try and claim that watchmen triggered them all. youre going to see iron man fall off the wagon and youre going to see antman beat the shit out of his wife and youre going to see the hulk be a full blown flat out villain, but the thing is...all of these plots are already in motion. before a single drop of cgi blood fell on a green screen smiley face, studios were already in the process of making super hero movies darker and more mature.

like i said, i think the movie will be entertaining, and whether ill admit it or not, ill probably even like it...but i dont think its going to be nearly as ground breaking as people want it to be.
HolyGuacamole
QUOTE (?Rorshach? @ Mar 3 2009, 11:52 PM) *
i think this is an interesting and really important point to make. for a few years, youre going to see some very mature and serious changes in the super hero movie genre, and some people are going to try and claim that watchmen triggered them all. youre going to see iron man fall off the wagon and youre going to see antman beat the shit out of his wife and youre going to see the hulk be a full blown flat out villain, but the thing is...all of these plots are already in motion. before a single drop of cgi blood fell on a green screen smiley face, studios were already in the process of making super hero movies darker and more mature.

yeah i'll be annoyed if reviewers claim the watchmen movie influenced the other superhero movies. certainly the comic influenced tons of writers, but it's laughable to say the movie will (i just looked it up and apparently ant man bitch slapped the wasp before watchmen came out).
bamfer23
Shut up.
All of you.
It was good.

But seriously, it's a matter of perspective. I have a deep love of the graphic novel, so I went in expected an adaption of a book I love, not a literal translation.

While they do pull off a lot, some of it does fall flat.

However, overall, it was extremely well done and I enjoyed the hell out of it
sonofaresiii
QUOTE (HolyGuacamole @ Mar 4 2009, 04:18 AM) *
yeah i'll be annoyed if reviewers claim the watchmen movie influenced the other superhero movies. certainly the comic influenced tons of writers, but it's laughable to say the movie will (i just looked it up and apparently ant man bitch slapped the wasp before watchmen came out).

if the movie really does well (which i'm sure it will), i'm sure it will influence superhero movies SOME. Whereas before, we might've seen Hank Pym slap his wife, we might see him punch her and knock her to the floor. Where we might have seen the Hulk wreck a building, we might see him toss a dude into a wall. But that's only because a successful movie depicting the level of violence it supposedly is will just make it more "ok," and it's small changes. it's not going to be some revolutionary thing like how the Matrix completely changed fight scenes and choreography.
HolyGuacamole
QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Mar 4 2009, 12:57 PM) *
if the movie really does well (which i'm sure it will), i'm sure it will influence superhero movies SOME. Whereas before, we might've seen Hank Pym slap his wife, we might see him punch her and knock her to the floor. Where we might have seen the Hulk wreck a building, we might see him toss a dude into a wall. But that's only because a successful movie depicting the level of violence it supposedly is will just make it more "ok," and it's small changes. it's not going to be some revolutionary thing like how the Matrix completely changed fight scenes and choreography.

it's interesting to hear that. it makes me wonder if we will see captain america killing nazis. i mean he is this iconic hero and if one hero could be seen killing people i think it would have to be him given the setting and etc.
sonofaresiii
it's very possible, but i imagine that script is mostly already in place, or at least outlined, and i doubt (though, they might) they would go back in and have him killing nazis just because they could. However, someone somewhere might say "Woah Watchmen set this trend of superheroes having to kill to be badass, go back and make captain america kill some nazis!"

though whoever says that, or looks at it like that, is an idiot.

though, most hollywood producers ARE idiots...
?Rorshach?
if cap isnt killing nazis, that movie is going to fall flat on its face. i dont think theres any need to discuss how easy it would be to make a cheesy, laughable captain america movie...the only way theyre going to avoid this is to make the beginning feel like saving private ryan and to have the end feel like the bourne identity. if they error on the side of PG, theyre going to fuck up any shot that they ever had at a well received avengers movie.

now obviously i dont think were going to see sniper bullets blowing up heads, and i dont think cap is going to be snapping any necks...but without some pretty heavy duty action sequences, this movie is going to get written off as the new fantastic four.
bmastak
do movies ever leak? like watchmen?
sonofaresiii
no. also, if you're watching a pirated version of watchmen, you're really, really just screwing yourself, because that movie's going to be so much better on the big screen. I guarantee it. If it's good, or bad, it'll still be way better in the movie theater.
HolyGuacamole
QUOTE (?Rorshach? @ Mar 4 2009, 06:57 PM) *
if cap isnt killing nazis, that movie is going to fall flat on its face. i dont think theres any need to discuss how easy it would be to make a cheesy, laughable captain america movie...the only way theyre going to avoid this is to make the beginning feel like saving private ryan and to have the end feel like the bourne identity. if they error on the side of PG, theyre going to fuck up any shot that they ever had at a well received avengers movie.

now obviously i dont think were going to see sniper bullets blowing up heads, and i dont think cap is going to be snapping any necks...but without some pretty heavy duty action sequences, this movie is going to get written off as the new fantastic four.

i totally agree. and lol i would love to see cap snapping necks. if anything i think we will at least see him killing/knocking people using his signature shield throw. maybe some decapitating!
iammatt
Violence Violence

I think most kids my age who haven't read the comic/novel/whateveryoucallit, are going to think the movie was boring. If it is as close the comic as I'm being led to believe by these reviews.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
IPB NULL EN