Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: video games
Streetlight Manifesto Unofficial Forum > RISC > Streetlight Manifesto
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146
PetroleumJelly

bruticus
i don't really play video games anymore. MW2 is basically a deathmatch version of CS with better graphics though.
Bones
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm bored with 95% of the games released nowadays. Which does not work well for my job.

"Hey, is this game going to be any good?"
"No, it's the same old garbage as the last 30 games you asked me about."
dix
I used to play a lot, then when good games on the Wii became harder to find, I stopped playing with the exception of the occasional SSB: Brawl with my friends. I got my PS3 in November and since then I've started playing regularly again. It's really hard to say what your case is.
tobias19
QUOTE (PetroleumJelly @ May 10 2010, 11:32 AM) *
i always imagined as a kid that i'd be that guy who would play video games all the time with his kids, but i just don't see that happening anymore.

this. although i must add that my kids can play my 64 whenever they want.
PetroleumJelly
i just could never have predicted a few years ago that i would stop playing video games. maybe i'm influenced by my roommate who was sheltered as a kid, so he didn't get to play video games really until college, and he's really addicted to MW2, which i think is a really fucking terrible game that steals people's money. but i guess i see him playing the same thing over and over and it just makes me more and more aware of how unoriginal video games are now.
SkankinLibrarian
i still play video games like there is no tomorrow, but to be fair i usually play games that have been out for several years and new games just dont hold my attention or enthusiasms that they use to.
Injun
I find myself purchasing virtual console games on my wii and playing them with my friends, it makes me feel so old
Boner City
I'm only 16 and I feel the same way as you. I guess I just probably played too much of them over the last couple of years.
Playacting Anarchist
QUOTE (PetroleumJelly @ May 10 2010, 01:32 PM) *
Since a lot of Skachillians are around the same age as me (i'm 21), i was wondering if other people feel the same way as i do about video games. in the last year or so i've noticed that i barely, if at all, play video games anymore. i grew up with all the nintendo systems just like everyone else and i'm not sure if i'm in the minority here, but i feel like video games these days are just repetitive and boring, with nothing new or interesting to grab my attention and keep me locked in. it just seems like every video game that comes out nowadays has a concept that has already been done, and all they did was make better graphics or make some stupid engine to make it more realistic.

do you think it's me getting older and growing out of playing video games, and that other people in our generation are finding the same trends happening, or is it just my lone opinion that video games just suck now and aren't worth playing anymore? i always imagined as a kid that i'd be that guy who would play video games all the time with his kids, but i just don't see that happening anymore.

or am i just a snob and i won't allow anything be considered better than my nostalgic games?

Quit playing shitty games.

You sound like a nickelback fan complaining about how bad all the new grunge music is.
Playacting Anarchist
QUOTE (thejeet @ May 10 2010, 01:50 PM) *
I find myself purchasing virtual console games on my wii and playing them with my friends, it makes me feel so old

Why the hell don't you pirate vc games?
Dr. Science
I've noticed the same thing. The video game industry has become more and more capitalistic since the PS2/Xbox/GC generation. I'd say somewhere around the release of Halo (just like my opinion, man). The problem with this is that most companies are content to rehash older games because they think that just because this game sold really well, another game that is almost identical will sell really well and make lots of money too. This means that a lot of the games you play today are following a strict formula or are a sequel to something that sold a bajillion copies, so they crank another one out really fast with the hopes of selling another bajillion copies (MW2).

Back when video games were still somewhat in their infancy, developers wouldn't dream of taking another's idea for a video game. They all wanted their games to be original and unique to the point that since there was already a game out where you drove a car, one developer changed his game so that you drove a car upside down. I don't remember the exact titles, but its true. This kind of spirit has been lost today. To be a successful game designer, you don't need to make a good game, you just need to make a game that sells well.
sellout
im 20 so im in the same age bracket as you but i feel a little differently. i play games just about as much as i did when i was younger but its more of a temporary release for a couple hours. i used to wake up saturday morning and play majora's mask for like 10 hours straight. now if i play any game im only doing so for 1-3 hours and then i take a break. i think it has something to do with my environment changing. i live with my girlfriend now and have school during the day and work at night so i just dont have the spare time like i used to.

being older i actually have a better appreciation for older games from the SNES and up. i like trying to 100% complete games. whether its going for 120 stars, catching every pokemon, or getting all the heart pieces, i like the problem solving aspects associated with platformers and adventure games. i also dont like using gamefaqs or guides so that retains a little bit of mystery. that might be why some older gamers are jaded now. if youre stuck in twilight princess and dont know what to do next an answer is a google search away. its kind of unfair in a way. when you win its not really your victory. its split 50/50 with you and ZeldaNerd324r523 who wrote a gamefaq 6 years ago.

i got a little off subject there but i think gaming preferences evolve as you get older. when youre 10 you triumph at simply finishing a game. taking that same game into consideration you wouldnt have the same incentive of beating it again because you already know what happens. what i usually do is come up with a personalized goal to achieve. for example, lets say you really like Zelda: A Link to the Past. how about you play through it again and purposely not collect any heart pieces? or with pokemon you can do more than just beat the elite four. you can breed, ev train, and create tournament worthy party members.

to try to address your point about games sucking these days i would have to agree mostly. i wasnt raised on some of the more prevalent genres of this generation. sure, i enjoy playing a fps every now and then, but 5-10 hour campaigns seem like a total rip off to me sometimes. then again, games like halo are great because they have a booming multiplayer experience.

on a very broad scale, for this generation to stop sucking we need to see less family party fun games from nintendo, less loading times from microsoft, and less cutscenes from sony.
PetroleumJelly
QUOTE (Playacting Anarchist @ May 10 2010, 02:53 PM) *
Quit playing shitty games.

You sound like a nickelback fan complaining about how bad all the new grunge music is.

you're an idiot. i don't play shitty games. that's my point that games these days are shitty, so i don't play them. learn to read asshole.
sellout
i buy virtual console games too lol. i also have some roms on my computer but my laptop has a mini sized screen. i much prefer blowing up dated sprites on a mammoth tv.
Bones
QUOTE (selloutwithme @ May 10 2010, 03:10 PM) *
i buy virtual console games too lol. i also have some roms on my computer but my laptop has a mini sized screen. i much prefer blowing up dated sprites on a mammoth tv.

This is why a modded Wii is the best course of action.
Fever Sleeves
My take is that no singular aspect of any modern game can compare to media dedicated toward that medium. Why suffer through trite dialogue, bad voice acting, uninspired music and terrible cinematography when I can read a book, go to a play, listen to an album or watch a movie? No game has truly captured the essence of a non-linear experience (except maybe for Second Life, and if I need to explain why that's an awful game then lol) so I really don't see what advantages games hold over a fucking Choose Your Own Adventure book in terms of being a storytelling paradigm.

I'm still totally down with 8/16-bit systems, because Streets of Rage 2 is bomb, yo.
Dr. Science
QUOTE (Fever Sleeves @ May 10 2010, 03:22 PM) *
My take is that no singular aspect of any modern game can compare to media dedicated toward that medium. Why suffer through trite dialogue, bad voice acting, uninspired music and terrible cinematography when I can read a book, go to a play, listen to an album or watch a movie? No game has truly captured the essence of a non-linear experience (except maybe for Second Life, and if I need to explain why that's an awful game then lol) so I really don't see what advantages games hold over a fucking Choose Your Own Adventure book in terms of being a storytelling paradigm.

I'm still totally down with 8/16-bit systems, because Streets of Rage 2 is bomb, yo.

You should play Shadow of the Colossus.
Injun
can i softmod my wii and still use gamecube controllers to play emulated games?
hotsoup
A lot of these posts are walls of text.
Bones
QUOTE (thejeet @ May 10 2010, 04:26 PM) *
can i softmod my wii and still use gamecube controllers to play emulated games?

Yes. Gamecube, classic controllers. Hell, you can use the Wii Remote for Duck Hunt.
Injun
what softmod should I get?
Bones
From an old post of mine:

Start with Bannerbomb and the Homebrew Channel. Get a preloader (I use Priiloader, but if you don't have 4.2, go with BootMii). Then after installing all those and getting them running smoothly, delve deeper into Wii-specific emulators and USB loaders.

For loading games from an external hard drive, I use USB Loader GX. For SNES, I use Snes9x GX. Game Boy and Gameboy Advance, I use Visual Boy Advance GX. NES games, I use FCE Ultra GX.
blaarg
QUOTE (thejeet @ May 10 2010, 04:36 PM) *
what softmod should I get?

If you plan on getting Mario Galaxy 2 (and you should), then I'd wait until after that before softmodding. That game will almost definitely require a software update, and you may have to do the mod process all over again.
Bones
QUOTE (blaarg @ May 10 2010, 04:58 PM) *
If you plan on getting Mario Galaxy 2 (and you should), then I'd wait until after that before softmodding. That game will almost definitely require a software update, and you may have to do the mod process all over again.

Nope. As long as you have a program like Gecko, you can run any game without the update. My friend has 3.8, and can run New Super Mario Bros. on his Wii through Gecko, which was supposed to need 4.2.
mattme
I just sold my wii, and play my xbox and ps3 religiously.

Can't wait for skate 3 to come out tomorrow.

Other than that I've been playing Demon's Souls and Manhunt
PARTY
wait, if I softmod my wii can I play downloaded wii games?
Bones
QUOTE (PARTY @ May 10 2010, 06:10 PM) *
wait, if I softmod my wii can I play downloaded wii games?

Yep. I have an external hard drive with about 80 Wii games on it. It took a while to figure out what stuff to mess with in the Wii's files, but it's done. It took me about 10-15 minutes to do most of the softmodding, but setting up the USB Loader took about an hour, just because I had no idea what I was doing.
Berto
i play video games a lot i just only play like 4 or 5 good ones.
Injun
QUOTE (Playacting Anarchist @ May 10 2010, 01:53 PM) *
Why the hell don't you pirate vc games?

i'm lazy, the only two games i have are gunstar heros and final fantasy 4, i'm probably going to soft mod my wii once i get back into champaign
AcousticBandit
I play less these days, but I don't think it's because of the games so much as it is less time to play them.
It's just hard to pick up and play when I either have school or work waiting for me the next morning. And even after those priorities, I often choose to go with a movie or book instead.

With that said, there's still tons of games I'm looking forward to. Red Dead Redemption is out next week, and there's games like The Last Guardian in the future.
Also, the LittleBigPlanet 2 trailer came out today and it looks pretty amazing.
PARTY
semi cute girl and I were talking at lunch and she mentioned playing Red Alert 2 when she was younger all the time. I fell in love. I literally have probably logged 800 hours into that game.
dix
Haven't heard a "PARTY is in love with a girl who looked at him" story for awhile.

jk <3 ya PARTY
PARTY
I just took some Ambein, so that may be why. Also, I think I've mentioned being in love with this girl before. She is on the basketball team and in ROTC. It would never work, but a guy can dream. A guy can dream.
Berto
every time i read a post by party i think that he's just going back and taking old posts of his and reposting them, but nope
PARTY
I might start doing that now. I am not a dynamic guy; I don't change much. I am okay with that. I like starting every sentence in this post with I. I am satisfied with doing things I like over and over forever. I guess my posts reflect that.
Klonny
DID SOMEONE SAY VIDEO GAMES
I EAT BREATHE SLEEP AND FUCK VIDEO GAMES
ASK A HARDK03R GAM3R ANYTHING
PARTY
QUOTE (Klonny @ May 10 2010, 08:32 PM) *
DID SOMEONE SAY VIDEO GAMES
I EAT BREATHE SLEEP AND FUCK VIDEO GAMES
ASK A HARDK03R GAM3R ANYTHING

list games from 2003-2007 era that I can play on my shitty laptop. I want something fast pace and awesome.
sonofaresiii
I love videogames but I almost never play them. I wish like hell I could jump on and play left 4 dead or whatever awesome new game is out these days for hours on end... but I just don't have that much time. I've got work and school and a film career to deal with-- videogames are the last on my mind. if i had more money i'd probably keep a system around and take a few hours every now and then to play, but i don't have enough extra money to spend on something i'm going to use that rarely.
Klonny
QUOTE (PARTY @ May 10 2010, 10:35 PM) *
list games from 2003-2007 era that I can play on my shitty laptop. I want something fast pace and awesome.

ALL YOU NEED IS SOME CAVE STORY OR SOME LYLE IN CUBE SECTOR
THEY'RE TOTALLY FREE TO DOWNLOAD SO GOOGLE THAT SHIT NOW
Spelster
QUOTE (Klonny @ May 10 2010, 11:45 PM) *
ALL YOU NEED IS SOME CAVE STORY OR SOME LYLE IN CUBE SECTOR
THEY'RE TOTALLY FREE TO DOWNLOAD SO GOOGLE THAT SHIT NOW
Klonny
IMPLYING LYLE IN CUBE SECTOR ISN'T JUST AS AWESOME
farmerbob
I pretty much stopped with video games for a few years after GameCube, but have since gotten really back into them when I got an Xbox 360 last year. I think the problem is that there are just too many damn games out there, some good and others not, but it's overwhelming to think of what to try and buy and play, and the ones we play we hardly ever finish. When we were kids, our parents got us like one game a year or something like that, no matter how great or bad, so we played the shit out of it, beat it multiple times, knew every little secret having discussed it with friends during recess, and weren't distracted by other games we might have felt like playing. That was me at least. The magic is kind of lost with information overload, and even the "secrets" themselves in games are found with a 2-second google search. So it's like, what's the point of putting all this effort into beating a game or finding out its secrets and unlocks, when we can just watch a video of it online or something? I wouldn't ever actually do that, but the fact that I can has made games lost some of their "magic."
bilwit
It's both. People our age probably felt the exact same 15 years ago, except First-Person-Shooters or whatever aren't breakthrough ideas anymore and the entire video game industry today is in the fucking pits as more and more developers move toward console platforms with P2P extra packages, social "achievement" appeal, and little incentive to polish their games.
Klonny
Difficulty in video games today is a checkpoint every 30 seconds and bullshit trial-and-error fights.
Playacting Anarchist
QUOTE (PetroleumJelly @ May 10 2010, 02:08 PM) *
you're an idiot. i don't play shitty games. that's my point that games these days are shitty, so i don't play them. learn to read asshole.

lolno

You played shitty, derivative games a decade or so ago. You just didn't realize how bad they were. Now you're probably still playing the same dull, mainstream copy-cat titles - the difference is you finally realize how bad they are.

15 years from now some kids are going to complain about how shitty gaming has become and ask why can't more games be like those of their youth, i.e. games today. Hell, I remember people going on and on about how the Playstation/N64 were signaling the death of gaming. Same shit, different generation.

And you are playing shitty games if you think games today lack innovation. If anything they are far more innovative today then they were 10-20 years ago.
Playacting Anarchist
QUOTE (farmerbob @ May 11 2010, 02:44 AM) *
I pretty much stopped with video games for a few years after GameCube, but have since gotten really back into them when I got an Xbox 360 last year. I think the problem is that there are just too many damn games out there, some good and others not, but it's overwhelming to think of what to try and buy and play, and the ones we play we hardly ever finish. When we were kids, our parents got us like one game a year or something like that, no matter how great or bad, so we played the shit out of it, beat it multiple times, knew every little secret having discussed it with friends during recess, and weren't distracted by other games we might have felt like playing. That was me at least. The magic is kind of lost with information overload, and even the "secrets" themselves in games are found with a 2-second google search. So it's like, what's the point of putting all this effort into beating a game or finding out its secrets and unlocks, when we can just watch a video of it online or something? I wouldn't ever actually do that, but the fact that I can has made games lost some of their "magic."

OMG. What if I like didn't watch a movie and just read a review in my newspaper? Or instead of doing a close reading of a text, what if I like just read like some professional companion reader?

I still have issues of gaming mags circa '92 or so that have all the cheats for a game listed in them. And you could go on usenet and read peoples guides to beating games around them.
Freeze Time
I play games less than I was 14 but I still masturbate just as much.
PetroleumJelly
QUOTE (Playacting Anarchist @ May 11 2010, 05:41 AM) *
lolno

You played shitty, derivative games a decade or so ago. You just didn't realize how bad they were. Now you're probably still playing the same dull, mainstream copy-cat titles - the difference is you finally realize how bad they are.

15 years from now some kids are going to complain about how shitty gaming has become and ask why can't more games be like those of their youth, i.e. games today. Hell, I remember people going on and on about how the Playstation/N64 were signaling the death of gaming. Same shit, different generation.

And you are playing shitty games if you think games today lack innovation. If anything they are far more innovative today then they were 10-20 years ago.

you're still wrong! i explicitly said that i don't play video games at all anymore in my first post, so i'm not playing these 'shitty games' today, i just see these things happening. if you actually gave examples of games that aren't shitty maybe you would have some credibility.
and i disagree with your first point. when i was a kid i didn't think the games were shitty and i loved to play them. now these companies release games with basically the exact same concept, just better graphics/shit that doesn't actually matter or contribute to gameplay IMO(example: Crysys-i don't think anyone ever mentioned to me how good of a game it was, just that it looked amazing). please enlighten me on how more innovative video games are today! all i see is difference in appearances of the games and a focus on side quests that don't pertain to main storylines (MW2-all these stupid achievements that are extremely pointless, also the campaign is like 5 hrs long which is a fucking joke, it's all just to make money, because this game could have so easily been an expansion).
so if what you're saying is true, then video games are doomed to fail, because our generation will stop buying them, and in turn, stop buying them for our kids, because of the repetitive nature of the games.

moral of the story-when you make arguments don't just make random points because it makes you look dumb and like a douche.
Playacting Anarchist
QUOTE (PetroleumJelly @ May 11 2010, 08:10 AM) *
you're still wrong! i explicitly said that i don't play video games at all anymore in my first post, so i'm not playing these 'shitty games' today, i just see these things happening. if you actually gave examples of games that aren't shitty maybe you would have some credibility.
and i disagree with your first point. when i was a kid i didn't think the games were shitty and i loved to play them. now these companies release games with basically the exact same concept, just better graphics/shit that doesn't actually matter or contribute to gameplay IMO(example: Crysys-i don't think anyone ever mentioned to me how good of a game it was, just that it looked amazing). please enlighten me on how more innovative video games are today! all i see is difference in appearances of the games and a focus on side quests that don't pertain to main storylines (MW2-all these stupid achievements that are extremely pointless, also the campaign is like 5 hrs long which is a fucking joke, it's all just to make money, because this game could have so easily been an expansion).
so if what you're saying is true, then video games are doomed to fail, because our generation will stop buying them, and in turn, stop buying them for our kids, because of the repetitive nature of the games.

moral of the story-when you make arguments don't just make random points because it makes you look dumb and like a douche.

Can you even read?

"You played shitty, derivative games a decade or so ago. You just didn't realize how bad they were."

You may not have thought they were shitty at the time, but the games you played then were just as guilty of the things you criticize modern games for being. But feel free to respond with a wall of text that in no way addresses this point.

Now you want examples? Derivative RPGs and platformers where hyped up because of their graphics (donkey kong country, vector man, secret of mana, ect) Games have had side quests for FUCKING AGES. Like, oh I dunno, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and virtually every other RPG. Maybe you've played Final Fantasy 7 and 8 - those games were grind fests that forced you to do repetitive random battles for hours upon hours just to have a shot at taking down the next boss. Most games of this era had non-existent stories, or were just straight up rip offs of movies/games/anime topped off by equally horrendous voice acting (MASTER OF UNLOCKING). Almost all of them were linear games with one specific path and course of action for the player to follow. Almost all of them had artificially high difficulty levels to mask how short the games really were, or they just had the player do the same shit over and over.

Want examples of how games are better? Open worlds that allow the player to tackle missions/objectives/whatevsies in any way the player wants (GTA, Oblivion, ect - even crysis), open ended narratives (I know older games had these, but the current crop of titles do it much more organically), blending genres together, something you hate MW2 for doing, but it still innovation - also see Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, ect. Much higher standards in writing, voice acting and general presentation. Menus that aren't an unintuitive clusterfuck. Oh, and mainstream, big budget games are starting to have actual subtext. Not to mention the whole crop of indie games that are trying to be 'art'

TL:DR - you're looking at the past through rose tinted glasses, so try and pull your head out of your ass and be objective. K?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
IPB NULL EN