Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bomb The Music Industry Documentary
Streetlight Manifesto Unofficial Forum > RISC > Streetlight Manifesto
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
powderedmilkman
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/703447...y-a-documentary

Help the girl out, donate a little bit to see this made. Good thing is if she doesn't raise the $3000, you don't get charge plus it uses Amazon's checkout process so it is secure.
HighonFez
I may do this in a couple weeks when I have money. I did for a webcomic I read and the book is being sent to the printers next week. Kickstarter is a cool, cool thing.
Logan's Clone
Yeah, one of my favorite artists got her entire album funded on Kickstarter.com. She asked for 2000 and, in the end, have close to 8000. So, yeah.

And I'll fund this in a few days. I'd love to see it happen.
SkaIsStillCool
$3000 in 16 days is a bit ambitious, I hope she meets her goal. I'll be donating as soon as I get home and trying to get some friends to donate as well. Rad project.
JP Penney
Haha I'm in that video, I remember seeing this girl filming at the Asbury Lanes show a few months back.
PARTY
QUOTE (SkaIsStillCool @ Jul 14 2010, 11:37 AM) *
$3000 in 16 days is a bit ambitious, I hope she meets her goal.

I thought this as well, but she's got to get the money before the shows. She probably should have started this awhile ago. Will try donating some money once I get paid and see how much is left over.
hunttehlulz
I feel like the project video should be better before I donate to someone trying to make a documentary.
Klonny
If I had money I would totally donate to this. Hell, I still owe BTMI! at least a good $20 bucks.
blaarg
I threw in $10. Hope this happens. Doesn't seem likely, though.
mattme
QUOTE (blaarg @ Jul 14 2010, 05:53 PM) *
I threw in $10. Hope this happens. Doesn't seem likely, though.
MeeSTa3k
How much money does it actually cost to make a documentary like this? Seems like it could be made for the cost of travel if you have a camera and editing software.
PARTY
Did you not read it?
MeeSTa3k
Nope. Should I?
MeeSTa3k
Oh, renting equipment. I can't imagine the band is going to ask for gas money. I still think this could be made for cheaper.
PARTY
Yes. It might help you figure out some things out. Like are you gay? All the gay guys on here are either not really gay or married. Or in prison. Didn't you lose a bunch of weight too? Are you still cynical like a fat kid or are you an insensitive hot guy?
HighonFez
Yeah, watching again, there's no real proof of film making skill there. Soooo, hmm.
Greg
She wants you to pay for her to go on tour with a band she likes.
zam man
QUOTE (Greg @ Jul 14 2010, 09:44 PM) *
She wants you to pay for her to go on tour with a band she likes.

and she's bringing her camera phone.
papacheesy
Her one big creative credit is: "Her 16mm short film, “Doggy Bag” was chosen for the 2009 Tisch Sight and Sound Showcase."

I didn't want to say anything, but getting into that showcase isn't hard. I had two films in the S&S Showcase when I was at NYU. Something like 3 or 4 films from each class make it in... And only NYU students are eligible.

So really she was one of 30 sophomore-level NYU students who had her project screened at the end of the semester.

Not to crap on her project. It sounds rad. I'm just cautious about her level of expertise.
sellout
thats a lot of money for something i feel could be accomplished for less. then again i dont know anything about making a documentary. it seems like you just need a camera which i would hope she already has, some basic editing software, and a scheduled meetup with jeff.

edit: ohhh travel expenses. ok. hmm.
MeeSTa3k
But she doesn't even have travel expenses. She's riding with the band, and eating free food at fan-provided tailgate parties every day. I'm still interested in watching this, don't get me wrong, but this money thing seems off to me.
iammatt
I feel like this girl thinks too much of them too make a documentary. This is me judging based off of ASOB and no knowledge really of BMTI and Jeff Rosenstock. I don't know. I don't think he has a big enough head.
JP Penney
Robby and I were gonna make that DIY documentary... Never happened lols.
benjula2006
Matt 'finds something negative about the situation and acts smug' Wixson strikes agian.
MeeSTa3k
QUOTE (benjula2006 @ Jul 15 2010, 03:16 AM) *
Matt 'points out something sketchy and every reply after him is in agreement' Wixson strikes agian.
Boner City
If she already has "twenty hours of interviews and performances featuring members of BTMI, Laura Stevenson and the Cans, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Kudrow, and Lemuria" why does she need 3 grand to make the rest?
Logan's Clone
Well, I guess part of it is that it's not like she'll make money off of this documentary because, I mean, a paid documentary for a free band would look bad. So, I mean, I'm okay with giving her a bit more money to work with if it's for no gain monetarily. As long as all the money went directly to the documentary fund.
blaarg
Wow. $1,265 already. I didn't think she'd come close to hitting her goal, but it seems like a real possibility.
Nocley
QUOTE (Bone Buster @ Jul 15 2010, 09:31 AM) *
If she already has "twenty hours of interviews and performances featuring members of BTMI, Laura Stevenson and the Cans, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Kudrow, and Lemuria" why does she need 3 grand to make the rest?

From what I read somewhere, it was to get to the west coast to see how the community connects with the band that rarely comes out there
bruticus
dude shes got it easy. so many people jock BtMI's dick and the fact that all their shit is free just means that people WILL donate. all gay ex-rudeboys will get a boner at the sight of the donation link
powderedmilkman
Update: The project was funded. She ended up with close to $5k. Hopefully something will come of this.
Idle
QUOTE (jpmillman @ Jul 15 2010, 02:31 AM) *
Robby and I were gonna make that DIY documentary... Never happened lols.

Come on the next tour dude. All aboard the crazy train.
Bones
Shit, I was going to donate 25$ to get the AJJ shirt. Now I can't.

Well, I guess I saved 25$.
Mengde
QUOTE (natthecat2004 @ Apr 23 2014, 12:44 PM) *

saw this yesterday and was feelin reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal skeptical
HighonFez
QUOTE (Mengde @ Apr 23 2014, 01:34 PM) *
saw this yesterday and was feelin reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal skeptical

It's funny. I disagree with almost everything you say.

Regardless, I just really want my Mitch Clem poster.
Klonny
It looks like shit
Injun
Pretty happy that this is still being worked on, plus now I live in NYC and I can finally see it live(want to come Alex?)!
sonofaresiii
Eh. Sure. When/where?

(also when I saw this thread pop up, before I realized it was like four years old and already completed I considered sending her a message asking her if she needed any help shooting, since she's in brooklyn. Heh. That would've been cool.)
Injun
Sometime in Brooklyn in the Fall.
sonofaresiii
Oh cool. I'm definitely free sometime this Fall. I'll just mark it on my calendar.

No seriously though, this sounds cool, let me know.
Mengde
Did anyone else just watch Jeff on the Chris Gethard show?
powderedmilkman
Yeah, I don't think I'm donating to this a second time around. I know film making is expensive and you can occasional miss your budget; but how are you off by $25, 000?
blaarg
For a project like this, I don't really understand the 25K post production. Film people, wanna help out here? Unless she's paying someone else to do all the editing for her, that seems crazy high (in my baseless opinion).
sonofaresiii
It is crazy high. For this kind of project. But i don't know exactly where it went or what she used it for... But i suspect she wasted a lot of money or fucked something up somewhere.

Let's be clear, a ton of movies could totally have this kind of post budget. But a kickstarter documentary? No way.
iammatt
Well looks like it's gonna happen.
customconcern05
Wasn't paranormal activity made with like a $15,000 budget? the fuck does this girl need 25k for?
sonofaresiii
s'what i'm saying
?Rorshach?
I made my movie for 2k and we had 1.5 seconds of cgi.
customconcern05
lets bomb the film industry and make our own damn documentary. (i guess its a little late for that though seeing as the band no longer exists)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
IPB NULL EN