Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We Cool?
Streetlight Manifesto Unofficial Forum > RISC > Streetlight Manifesto
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Klonny
Cool.
sonofaresiii
I'm downright goddamn cold. The heat in my apartment is way below legal levels, but apparently my roommate likes it that way. So I don't know if I should get into a fight with my landlord, without support from my roommate and which might piss him off, or just tough it out with my little mini space heater which is jacking up my electric bill.
Klonny
To skip to the point, new Jeff Rosenstock (BTMI?) March 3rd
SkankinLibrarian
Nah, fuck you klonny, we ain't cool.
ohnoes
Klonny
QUOTE (SkankinLibrarian @ Jan 11 2015, 12:45 AM) *
Nah, fuck you klonny, we ain't cool.

I looked up "You mad cuz im stylin on u" on google image search and found this and decided to post it instead of a macro
sellout
Someone up Hey Allison and Nausea and that one b-side thing? I need it for my iPod.
sellout
CODE
Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool pre-release stuff - http://www.mediafire.com/download/gcvktz4z6neonih

Hey Allison and Nausea rips from Youtube and an acoustic Hey Allison just because I liked it.
blaarg
I'll up a better quality Hey Allison later because ew Youtube.
sellout
QUOTE (blaarg @ Feb 2 2015, 10:49 AM) *
I'll up a better quality Hey Allison later because ew Youtube.

That would be amazing.
blaarg
Here you go, plus the weird B-side:
CODE
https://www.mediafire.com/?vp115cwvu5ch91w
Klonny
You, In Weird Cities stream

http://www.stereogum.com/1737169/jeff-rose...-premiere/mp3s/

Had a little trouble finding a way to get the souncloud linked to the board
sellout
Yeah, it's because it's an annoying "exclusive" with no way to share or nab it that I can tell.

This is as far as I got. Someone bring it all the way.
Dondles
Sellout is wholly correct. Fortunately they don't do any referral checking, so you just need to add the secret key. (Need to keep the '&' and '=' percent-encoded though).

CODE
[soundcloud]189313716%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-BslRP[/soundcloud]
Klonny
I was thinking of right clicking -> inspect element but that shit sounded tedious when I could just hyperlink it
Dondles
This doesn't work in Chrome because it's too behind, and I'd have to change too many things to be bothered to see if I can fix it well enough for it do so tonight. But if you want it to make the code for you, make the first of these into a bookmark you can click on WITHOUT THE SPACE between 'java' and 'script'.
If I get it working in Chrome as well I'll make an equivalent to this page for bandcamp, or maybe just fold them both into one page.
This won't work for playlists (not that I've ever seen anyone post one) and it's only for soundclouds hosted on other sites, not when you're on soundcloud itself (though maybe it'd work anyway, who knows). No warranties or guarantees &c.

CODE
java script:let%20rawFrames%20=%20document.querySelectorAll('iframe');%20let%20scFrames%20=%20Array.filter(rawFrames,%20x=>/soundcloud/.test(x.src));%20for%20(let%20frame%20of%20scFrames)%20{%20%20%20let%20parts%20=%20frame.src.match(/tracks\/(\d+)(?:%253Fsecret_token%253D([^&]+))?/);%20%20%20let%20secret%20=%20(parts[2])?%20`%253Fsecret_token%253D${parts[2]}`%20:%20'';%20%20%20let%20z%20=%20prompt('Copy%20the%20below%20code',%20`[soundcloud]${parts[1]+secret}[/soundcloud]`);%20}

CODE
let rawFrames = document.querySelectorAll('iframe');
let scFrames = Array.filter(rawFrames, x=>/soundcloud/.test(x.src));
for (let frame of scFrames) {
  let parts = frame.src.match(/tracks\/(\d+)(?:%253Fsecret_token%253D([^&]+))?/);
  let secret = (parts[2])? `%253Fsecret_token%253D${parts[2]}` : '';
  let z = prompt('Copy the below code', `[soundcloud]${parts[1]+secret}[/soundcloud]`);
}
HighonFez
That fucking bass tone. Love this.
Dondles
QUOTE (Dondles @ Feb 12 2015, 01:26 AM) *
This doesn't work in Chrome because it's too behind, and I'd have to change too many things to be bothered to see if I can fix it well enough for it do so tonight. But if you want it to make the code for you, make the first of these into a bookmark you can click on WITHOUT THE SPACE between 'java' and 'script'.
If I get it working in Chrome as well I'll make an equivalent to this page for bandcamp, or maybe just fold them both into one page.
This won't work for playlists (not that I've ever seen anyone post one) and it's only for soundclouds hosted on other sites, not when you're on soundcloud itself (though maybe it'd work anyway, who knows). No warranties or guarantees &c.

CODE
java script:let%20rawFrames%20=%20document.querySelectorAll('iframe');%20let%20scFrames%20=%20Array.filter(rawFrames,%20x=>/soundcloud/.test(x.src));%20for%20(let%20frame%20of%20scFrames)%20{%20%20%20let%20parts%20=%20frame.src.match(/tracks\/(\d+)(?:%253Fsecret_token%253D([^&]+))?/);%20%20%20let%20secret%20=%20(parts[2])?%20`%253Fsecret_token%253D${parts[2]}`%20:%20'';%20%20%20let%20z%20=%20prompt('Copy%20the%20below%20code',%20`[soundcloud]${parts[1]+secret}[/soundcloud]`);%20}

CODE
let rawFrames = document.querySelectorAll('iframe');
let scFrames = Array.filter(rawFrames, x=>/soundcloud/.test(x.src));
for (let frame of scFrames) {
  let parts = frame.src.match(/tracks\/(\d+)(?:%253Fsecret_token%253D([^&]+))?/);
  let secret = (parts[2])? `%253Fsecret_token%253D${parts[2]}` : '';
  let z = prompt('Copy the below code', `[soundcloud]${parts[1]+secret}[/soundcloud]`);
}

Well that was fun
  • no let
  • no =>
  • no Array.filter()
  • no template strings
  • for...of doesn't seem to work on NodeLists

Primitive

CODE
java script:var%20rawFrames%20=%20document.querySelectorAll('iframe');var%20scFrames%20=%20[];for%20(var%20frame%20in%20rawFrames)%20{%20%20if(/soundcloud/.test(rawFrames[frame].src))%20{%20%20%20%20scFrames.push(rawFrames[frame]);%20%20}}for%20(var%20frame%20of%20scFrames)%20{%20%20var%20parts%20=%20frame.src.match(/tracks\/(\d+)(?:%253Fsecret_token%253D([^&]+))?/);%20%20var%20secret%20=%20(parts[2])?%20'%253Fsecret_token%253D'+parts[2]%20:%20'';%20%20var%20z%20=%20prompt('Copy%20the%20below%20code',%20'[soundcloud]'+parts[1]+secret+'[/soundcloud]');}

CODE
var rawFrames = document.querySelectorAll('iframe');
var scFrames = [];
for (var frame in rawFrames) {
  if(/soundcloud/.test(rawFrames[frame].src)) {
    scFrames.push(rawFrames[frame]);
  }
}
for (var frame of scFrames) {
  var parts = frame.src.match(/tracks\/(\d+)(?:%253Fsecret_token%253D([^&]+))?/);
  var secret = (parts[2])? '%253Fsecret_token%253D'+parts[2] : '';
  var z = prompt('Copy the below code', '[soundcloud]'+parts[1]+secret+'[/soundcloud]');
}
sellout
Dondles... English.
SkankinLibrarian
QUOTE (sellout @ Feb 12 2015, 02:48 PM) *
Dondles... English.

STUPID FRENCH MOTHERFUCKER! WE SPEAK THE ENGLISH HERE! HABLA ANGLAIS?
Dondles
QUOTE (sellout @ Feb 12 2015, 08:48 PM) *
Dondles... English.

Chrome is really shit and I had to mutilate my beautiful code to get its simple mind to understand it.
Dondles
QUOTE (sellout @ Feb 12 2015, 08:48 PM) *
Dondles... English.

QUOTE (Dondles @ Feb 13 2015, 12:01 AM) *
Chrome is really shit and I had to mutilate my beautiful code to get its simple mind to understand it.

Oh and P.S.
Klonny
Oh fuck, BTMI! is 10 years old.
HighonFez
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/02/jeff...e-again-listen/

I'm sorry for ever doubting that beautiful, beautiful man.

(And my roommate will eventually come around to how awesome this record will be and I will do everything in my will not to say I told you so.)
ohnoes
He should just say fuck it and write a musical.
Mengde
QUOTE (ohnoes @ Feb 20 2015, 02:02 AM) *
He should just say fuck it and write a musical.

Working on one about an ice cream parlor in New Jersey with Chris Gethard
cam2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20onlqLIgFo
sellout
CODE
Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool? - https://www.mediafire.com/?4t8b9g5v25x3v8q

edit: I wish it didn't suck but maybe I just have to listen to it a few more times.

dbl edit: fixed link
blaarg
It's... Odd, for sure. I kind of feel like it's two different albums working against each other. The tracks released beforehand are all fun and noisy, kind of like stripped down BTMI tracks. Then the rest is kind of mellower, experimental stuff. Neither are bad, they're just weird together.

Definitely need a few more listens, though.
ohnoes
Very disjointed track order; was expecting much more from the transitions between songs. Very few if any unifying concepts. I didnt want a collection of Rosenstock songs, I wanted a Rosenstock album.
sellout
I'm working on a better track order. The last song is growing on me a lot.

Klonny
That feel when you just turned 25 and realized you're doing better than Jeff Rosenstock minus the creative endeavors
sellout
That moment when Jeff's lyrics became cautionary tales to me was bittersweet.
HighonFez
You do realize the dude has always had lyrics that are debilitatingly depressing and turning 30 is probably not gonna make you write a happy song.

This record is fucking great. Hooks and hooks and fuzz and tremelo picking. I don't know what you guys are hearing.
cam2009
I get that there's something disappointing about songs like "Side Projects," "Unlimited Breadsticks," "(Shut) Up the Punx)" being the types of songs in the past. But Jeff was, what, 24 when Get Warmer came out? 26 for Scrambles? Jeff's like Louis CK to me. I love going back and listening to 2001 Louie being absurd and talking about how his marriage is almost over, but now we get an honest check-in from a creative, hard-working dude once every year or two, and it's always either the most skilled thing yet, or at least miles more interesting than what everyone else is rehashing.

Maybe if he doesn't go anywhere over the next few years, the honest check-ins will lose their effect, but everything he's done so far has struck a chord. I still put in Get Warmer whenever winter starts to let up, I crave Scrambles walking outside in winter, Vacation hits the spot on cool mornings/afternoons. Get Warmer: perfect summer album. Scrambles: perfect depressing, wintery punk. He literally yelled at you and told you you were going to die alone. Vacation was this weird "I'm well-adjusted now!" indie album with fake/sad optimism -- in the best way. We Cool? feels a little more genuine, more upfront, still grappling with most of the same things. I go through weeks of listening to almost nothing but BtMI. Not because I get in a rut, but because his discography covers such a wide fucking range. Some part of my idiot brain still has "Scrambles" categorized as "BtMI's new album" but that was 26 year-old Jeff. This is 32 year-old Jeff. Re-tool your expectations. This is better than re-writing "25!" over and over.
ohnoes
I miss being 17 like cam2009.

edit: @Highonpez: There are some great songs on this album, but it doesn't feel like an album I could listen to all the way through very many times compared to say Vacation or Goodbye Cool World. I'm unsure of what to infer from this, but I get the sense that Jeff is just kind of burping out songs now and then as opposed to churning them out like some kind of human music box.
?Rorshach?
I haven't listened to it yet (stoked for the ride in to work tomorrow) but I will throw it out there that the things a lot of you are saying about it feeling weird/experimental/out there/disconnected at times is how I have felt after first listen to the past 4 or 5 Jeff releases.

Again, totally blind to the whole thing, I wouldn't be surprised if I feel iffy towards it at first and crazy about it in 2 or 3 weeks.
cam2009
QUOTE (ohnoes @ Feb 22 2015, 07:02 PM) *
I miss being 17 like cam2009.

edit: @Highonpez: There are some great songs on this album, but it doesn't feel like an album I could listen to all the way through very many times compared to say Vacation or Goodbye Cool World. I'm unsure of what to infer from this, but I get the sense that Jeff is just kind of burping out songs now and then as opposed to churning them out like some kind of human music box.

I dunno, 90% sounds real solid to me, especially after a couple of listens. A nice companion to Vacation. Maybe people have gotten too used to Beers Again Alone/Hey Allison, which are better than most of Vacation. I don't think it's as disjointed as people are making it out to be, even though there's not as obvious a thread as Scrambles/Vacation/Get Warmer. We'll see how I feel after a few more listens. Anyway I thought we were allowed to pretend we're 17 still about BtMI, don't mind me.
Spelster
QUOTE (?Rorshach? @ Feb 22 2015, 07:14 PM) *
I haven't listened to it yet (stoked for the ride in to work tomorrow) but I will throw it out there that the things a lot of you are saying about it feeling weird/experimental/out there/disconnected at times is how I have felt after first listen to the past 4 or 5 Jeff releases.

Again, totally blind to the whole thing, I wouldn't be surprised if I feel iffy towards it at first and crazy about it in 2 or 3 weeks.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Jeff Rosenstock album on first listen. I'm sure I'll come around on this one in a couple of weeks.
ohnoes
QUOTE (cam2009 @ Feb 22 2015, 08:07 PM) *
I dunno, 90% sounds real solid to me, especially after a couple of listens. A nice companion to Vacation. Maybe people have gotten too used to Beers Again Alone/Hey Allison, which are better than most of Vacation. I don't think it's as disjointed as people are making it out to be, even though there's not as obvious a thread as Scrambles/Vacation/Get Warmer. We'll see how I feel after a few more listens. Anyway I thought we were allowed to pretend we're 17 still about BtMI, don't mind me.

Album Minus Band: writing an album without a band
To Leave or die in Long Island: To leave or die in long island?
Goodbye Cool World: Getting older actually means getting less young so dont give a fuck while you still can
Get Warmer: Bad things can be good
Scarmbles: Everybody is doing everything and omg i dont really want to but I guess I should but it sucks
Adults!!!: Smart!!! Shithammered!!! And Excited by Nothing!!!!!!! : Genuine commentary about irony
Vacation: " It was announced in September 2010.[2] Much of the music was written while Jeff Rosenstock was on a free trip to Belize,[3] and unlike the band's previous albums, it is "about trying to build a home." from wikipedia
I Look Like Shit: change sucks.

We Cool? : hey can I just put out these songs and not have them be part of a larger concept and still be good?

the answer is sort of.
HighonFez
Are you really putting I Look Like Shit conceptually above We Cool? That thing is literally a bunch of songs thrown together.

I'm just saying. All ya'll gonna love this album in a couple weeks.
ohnoes
It doesn't really matter where the songs came from, it matters how they go together.

edit: this is a great bunch of songs, that probably should have been 2 different EPs released 6 months apart.
davey1212k
I don't know how you guys can you get through an entire album of that dude's screeching. Yes, he writes a well-composed, coherent, unique pop song, but by the 4th or 5th track, I need a break. So I guess I agree with the EP argument, but for different reasons.

But also, I like entire Nirvana albums so I guess I shouldn't talk about screeching.

edit: I should say I very much enjoyed the rosenstock element in his vespucci records, but i think he's better suited as a producer and backup singer/lead guitar than frontman/everyman
hotsoup
I got your back, Steve.
?Rorshach?
I'm going to give it a few more listens before I make a real post about it...but so far, I think this album is terrific.
bamfer23
Listened to the stream on Spin, and I think it's great. Ive been a big fan of Rosenstock since, well, ever, and I really dig this new record. Just bought the vinyl, too.

Also, can we get a new download link for this?! The other one doesnt work anymore. Lame.
sellout
CODE
Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool? - https://www.mediafire.com/?4t8b9g5v25x3v8q

Here ya go! It just finished uploading. I'll fix the broken link in my previous post too.
bamfer23
You're a peach and I love you
sellout
Just saw your post in UTP. laugh.gif That place is a graveyard.
Spelster
This album rocks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
IPB NULL EN