Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skachilles politics thread 2015
Streetlight Manifesto Unofficial Forum > RISC > Streetlight Manifesto
Pages: 1, 2, 3
sonofaresiii
I just got done watching the democratic debate and am in a mood to discuss stuff. What'd everyone think? Who are you planning to vote for? Why? This is an incredibly interesting year for politics, I'm very open to hearing all sides. Usually I just have one go to candidate, and I'm leaning towards Sanders, but there's a lot of very interesting stuff happening.
blaarg
I'm definitely on board with Sanders. First time in a while I've found myself so much in alignment with a candidate... I guess I tend to lean pretty far left. I'm not fully convinced he can win over Hillary, but even if not, I'd take her "business as usual" in a heartbeat over Trump's hick America.

I was actually fairly impressed with O'Malleys debate performance last night. I still don't think he has a shot, but it was a pleasant surprise.
blaarg
The fact that this race arguably has both the farthest left and farthest right wing candidates we've seen in prominent positions does worry me, even if I personally support one of them. Feels like an indicator of just how divided the country is becoming. This two party system sucks.
SkankinLibrarian
Nah people just don't compromise anymore. There no longer is any pragmatism in us politics. Its all " FUCK YOU IM RIGHT, WE DO IT MY WAY OR WE DONT DO ANYTHING AT ALL" millitantism, especially out of single issue voters ( black lives matter, feminism, gun nuts, pro lifers, pro choices, etc), has ruined any discourse on most subjects and flooded it with so much propaganda its hard to tell what the actual truth is without doing your own research.
monkeyman
QUOTE (SkankinLibrarian @ Oct 14 2015, 09:00 AM) *
ruined any discourse on most subjects and flooded it with so much propaganda its hard to tell what the actual truth is without doing your own research.

Even then, good luck finding sources that aren't biased to the point of rendering them moot.
HighonFez
Dukakis.
SkankinLibrarian
AuH2O!
ohnoes
As someone from a multiple party system...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_government"%5d
No.%5b/url%5d
%5burl="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_government" target="_blank">You actually probably DONT want that.

There will likely be a minority government in The Candy Cane Forest in a few days, and it will likely be only a short period of time till another election is called as a result. It happened last time in a very similar political climate. Several times in a row.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_fede..._election,_2004
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_fede..._election,_2006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_fede..._election,_2008
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_fede..._election,_2011

Try having 4 elections in 7 years, then tell me you want a multiple party system.

I'm planning on 'not voting for Stephen Harpe'r, for whatever party is most likely to defeat him in my district.
sonofaresiii
I actually wouldn't even be that mad if Trump won, I think he's one of the few politicians I can actually trust. I know how crazy that sounds but I don't think he's gonna bow at all to corporate influences or just do shady stuff to benefit his business friends or something. He'd just say "fuck you I'm doing whatever the hell I want" and I think he genuinely would want to do the best thing for the country.

I think he's a fucking idiot about what the best thing for the country will be, but that doesn't make him the worst candidate. I could totally believe Hillary would do some fucked up backroom politics to help out her or her associates/contributors.
ohnoes
Trump would make a great president just because theres a good chance he'd actually be honest. Would give the best shot at finally figuring out wtf is up with all the black ops projects and blacked out UFO documents etc anything your government has been up to in the past 100 years.

Economically, he's a billionaire. He could likely improve the economics of any country on earth if he put his mind to it, idiots don't become billionaires.

Plus he leans way further left than most other conservatives. (aka, republicans in americatalk)

Seems like a slam dunk from my perspective. Sanders is your only hope.
Klonny
QUOTE (ohnoes @ Oct 15 2015, 02:42 AM) *
Trump would make a great president just because theres a good chance he'd actually be honest.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Injun
#weekendatbernies
sellout
I'm not going to vote again.
davey1212k
I don't think any of the candidates would be good presidents.
ohnoes
Liberals demolished, won a majority government. Happy Canadian stoners soon.
Klonny
QUOTE (davey1212k @ Oct 19 2015, 10:34 PM) *
I don't think any of the candidates would be good presidents.

#everyelectionever
dumbducky
QUOTE (sonofaresiii @ Oct 15 2015, 02:26 AM) *
I actually wouldn't even be that mad if Trump won, I think he's one of the few politicians I can actually trust. I know how crazy that sounds but I don't think he's gonna bow at all to corporate influences or just do shady stuff to benefit his business friends or something. He'd just say "fuck you I'm doing whatever the hell I want" and I think he genuinely would want to do the best thing for the country.

I think he's a fucking idiot about what the best thing for the country will be, but that doesn't make him the worst candidate. I could totally believe Hillary would do some fucked up backroom politics to help out her or her associates/contributors.

Out of curiosity, do you still feel this way?
Injun
#feeltheJohnson
ohnoes
Vote trump because he's more likely to do something that will get himself impeached.

sonofaresiii
QUOTE (dumbducky @ Oct 18 2016, 11:36 PM) *
Out of curiosity, do you still feel this way?

i feel like at least some grain of that i still held onto like a week or so ago, although it's been a sure spiral down over the past year

don't get me wrong, i don't support trump at all, but for a little while it at least felt like-- i dunno, that he's an idiot but how much damage could he REALLY do?

but now, no way, i pretty strongly think it would just be horrific. i'm still pretty anti-hillary as well and was a big "vote your conscience" guy but i just can't justify not voting for her just to keep trump out.
SkankinLibrarian
QUOTE (Injun @ Oct 18 2016, 11:45 PM) *
#feeltheJohnson

PAGE BREAKING FOR JOHNSON!
sellout
sonofaresiii
...okay.
sellout
Basically, just the first 30 seconds. I realize she goes on a tangent about volluntaryism and being edgy in general.
Logan
I'm waiting for my absentee ballet here in Las Vegas, but still not sure if I'm voting. Something about this election makes me feel ill-equipped to be a voter.
sonofaresiii
QUOTE (sellout @ Oct 19 2016, 12:06 PM) *
Basically, just the first 30 seconds. I realize she goes on a tangent about volluntaryism and being edgy in general.

well you can not vote if you want to, though I disagree with that decision as I believe your vote is still worthwhile even if used for a third party, or even if you abstain from any particular race

but mostly what strikes me about that video is that she's just 100% factually incorrect about... well, pretty much everything she says. i only watched a minute or two.
HighonFez
I was thinking about third party early on, but dude, guys, people. I can't even. Somehow even the third parties are looking like loons. The only person I could even see in office would be Secretary Clinton.
sonofaresiii
There was one guy who said he was basically batman. I might vote for that guy.
HighonFez
Vermin Supreme? You're right. I have my candidate.
sonofaresiii
ha! that guy's nuts. but i was thinking this guy

sonofaresiii
i know absolutely nothing about him... except that his ad says he's batman.
HarriettZer
Bit unsure about this as friends should not really discuss politics or religion if they want to stay friends?
SkankinLibrarian
QUOTE (HarriettZer @ Jan 20 2017, 09:10 AM) *
Bit unsure about this as friends should not really discuss politics or religion if they want to stay friends?

thats kind of pussy thinking lead to germany trouncing your asses in back to back world wars.
?Rorshach?
You know, I was about to delete the bot...but we're pretty short on posters these days and I'm always sort of interested in the ones that can actually post on topic so...

Welcome our robot brethren!
SkankinLibrarian
My money is on that it is a real person just spamming boards.
sonofaresiii
I'm like 99% sure my vote was never counted. Anyone have any idea how to look into something like that?

I don't know if I said it or not, but just to go over again what happened to me, I show up at my polling place and they don't have me on the list. I'm 100% sure I'm registered and at the right place and everything, but they tell me I'm not on the list so I have to vote affidavit.

I do, I fill out the ballot and sign my name to it and everything, then I'm like "fuck that I'm making sure this gets counted" so I go down to the local... voting headquarters thingy? in brooklyn, and they look up my information and tell me I'm registered and my vote WILL be counted, and that there's no reason I shouldn't have been on their at the voting station. I get a signed paper from them saying I'm registered and all good, and even though I'm looking at them kinda sideways like "You're telling me my vote will be counted but it really really seems like it won't" I figure there's nothing else I can do.

I look it up online and it turns out that in about a month, they'll mail me a thing either confirming that my vote was counted or specifically telling me why it wasn't.

That never happened.

This probably isn't the best place to ask, but would anyone have any experience on who I talk to about this that won't just result in someone saying either "Your vote was counted if you were on the list, now go away" or "That's not my problem, now go away"?
dumbducky
Some counties make voter rolls public and include which elections you voted. You could look that up and see if it is available for you.
YumOJ
The fact that people are eating up this, "The press is busted. We will bring the news directly to you through official releases," bullshit is fucking terrifying.
Klonny
Russian hackers are why your vote hasn't counted, there's a commie in the white house
sonofaresiii
eh, nyc/ny state still voted for hillary so whatevs

but yeah i'd really like to know wtf happened that my vote was apparently not counted. that's not cool.
Logan
I'm also not sure my vote got counted either, but I voted in Pittsburgh which went 60% percent Hillary. So, not much I can do on that one.
yepyep
QUOTE (YumOJ @ Jan 22 2017, 01:13 PM) *
The fact that people are eating up this, "The press is busted. We will bring the news directly to you through official releases," bullshit is fucking terrifying.

Literally terrifying. And if I hear one more person say, "well I've heard lies for the last 8 years, so at this point, if Trump lies about something little, what difference does it make?" one more time I am going to vomit. Like, there's a difference between having a bill get changed along the way and turning out different than you promised it would and actually straight lying about confirmable facts.
SkankinLibrarian
You are all taking the bait, hook, line, and sinker. He is gas lighting/trolling/overloading right now. He is trying to be as offensive and provoking as possible without ever actually saying or doing anything that matters. He's getting the left so worked up into a frenzy that they are crying wolf at literally everything he says. By getting you guys all worked up and angry at everything, it mans when he actually does something worthy of this ire, nobody in the middle will be paying attention or going to take you seriously. You all need to calm down and be adult about this. Just shut up and wait for the truly egregious actions, this little knit picking and protesting every weekend is meaningless and off putting and does more harm than good.
sonofaresiii
there is no way trump is smart enough for that. he may be doing it, but he's sure not doing it on purpose.
SkankinLibrarian
nah trump is sneaky crafty like that. I aint saying he is the sharpest tool in the shed, but he will definitely break skin and give you tetanus (lol anus).
Injun
Yeah, I kind of agree with Skankin on this, he's going to rabble rouse a shit load his first 100 days, and then as people get sick of hearing about politics/Trump all the time, he'll start doing the crazy shit that's going to make his cabinet boatloads of $$$.
?Rorshach?
I don't know if I'm completely on board with the motive (not saying I'm not...I just honestly don't know), but I definitely agree that that's going to be the effect.

The fact is, dude is president and the republicans control congress. We may be able to slow him down and maybe even avoid a catastrophe or two, but the sad truth is most of what he wants to do, he'll be able to do.

In the meantime though, all the dudes yelling and screaming at their republican aunts and uncles on facebook are only further cementing their opinions and dissuading moderates.
dumbducky
#MakeFacebookApoliticalAgain

I posted that the other day and got 20 likes. But like 5 of them were from people who post political shit all the time. Wtf?
yepyep
QUOTE (SkankinLibrarian @ Jan 23 2017, 09:24 AM) *
You are all taking the bait, hook, line, and sinker. He is gas lighting/trolling/overloading right now. He is trying to be as offensive and provoking as possible without ever actually saying or doing anything that matters. He's getting the left so worked up into a frenzy that they are crying wolf at literally everything he says. By getting you guys all worked up and angry at everything, it mans when he actually does something worthy of this ire, nobody in the middle will be paying attention or going to take you seriously. You all need to calm down and be adult about this. Just shut up and wait for the truly egregious actions, this little knit picking and protesting every weekend is meaningless and off putting and does more harm than good.

This just isn't true. He's doing all of this because of his own ego, plain and simple.

But seriously, your solution is to just sit around and decide when a lie is important enough? Given your logic, if everyone just let his lies go unchecked, once they finally decide one is important enough, the "middle" would just say, "Nah, he's told us the truth this whole time, why would he lie now?"
SkankinLibrarian
QUOTE (yepyep @ Jan 25 2017, 04:41 PM) *
This just isn't true. He's doing all of this because of his own ego, plain and simple.

But seriously, your solution is to just sit around and decide when a lie is important enough? Given your logic, if everyone just let his lies go unchecked, once they finally decide one is important enough, the "middle" would just say, "Nah, he's told us the truth this whole time, why would he lie now?"

Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you!

The man is a lot smarter than you gave him credit for, even if he is only average intelligent. Nor did i say let every lie go unchecked. But at some point you are going to have to pick and choose. Crying Wolf every day, no matter how warranted, is going to get tiring and drown people out. It really doesnt matter whether he claims there was 1.5 million people at his ingratiation. IT REALLY FUCKING DOESN'T MATTER ONE BIT! i mean i get, he is lying to stroke his own ego and make himself seem bigger than he is, but at the end of the day the number of people who actually showed up doesnt mean jack. But that story has controlled the news cycle the last few rounds while he has gone on to do other things. Things that arent being talked about, because YOU ARE ALL STILL FUCKING SCREAMING LIKE CHICKEN LITTLE BECAUSE HE SAID 1.5 MILLION SHOWED UP! you gotta stop it. you gotta be the fucking adult and let the little shit go, cause there are bigger fish to fry and more important issues to get worked up about. YOU HAVE TO PICK AND CHOOSE, IF YOU DONT HE WILL GET REELECTED! STOP BEING BLINDED BY THE RAGE AND THINK RATIONALLY, IT FUCKING MATTERS! IT DOESNT FUCKING MATTER THAT HE THINKS THE ELECTION WAS RIGGED, BUT NOW NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT THE FUCKING PIPELINE OR THE EMPLOYMENT FREEZE OR 15 OTHER REAL THINGS HE HAS DONE! HE IS MAKING YOU ALL THE BIGGER FOOL BY MAKING YOU ARGUE WITH THE FOOL! STOP IT!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
IPB NULL EN