Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ALBUM OF THE WEEK, 01/28/17 - 02/04/17 THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - FLOOD
Streetlight Manifesto Unofficial Forum > RISC > Streetlight Manifesto
Logan
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - FLOOD

CODE
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4702674/They_Might_Be_Giants_-_Flood_(1990)

Flood is the third studio album by Brooklyn-based alternative rock duo They Might Be Giants, released in January 1990. Flood was the duo's first album on the major label Elektra Records. It generated three singles: "Birdhouse in Your Soul", "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", and the domestic promotional track "Twisting". The album is generally considered to be the band's definitive release, as it is their best-selling and most recognizable album. Despite minimal stylistic and instrumental differences from previous releases, Flood is distinguished by contributions from seasoned producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley. John Linnell and John Flansburgh also took advantage of new equipment and recording techniques, including unconventional, home-recorded samples, which were programmed through Casio FZ-1 synthesizers. The album was recorded in New York City at Skyline Studios, which was better equipped than studios the band had worked in previously.

Promotion for Flood included television appearances, promotional videos, and an international tour. The album's mainstream promotion and success contributed to its status as the band's most well known album. Many fans, including young viewers of Tiny Toon Adventures, were first exposed to They Might Be Giants's music through Flood.

The album was initially issued on CD, LP, and cassette. Upon its release, Flood was met with praise from critics and achieved moderate success on sales charts. In 2013, the album was reissued as part of a CD series spanning They Might Be Giants' four Elektra releases. In 2014, it was reissued on LP in Europe by Music On Vinyl and in the United States by Asbestos Records for Record Store Day Black Friday. Another LP reissue is anticipated for 2015 from the band's label, Idlewild Recordings.
?Rorshach?
Doooooope.
HighonFez
I'm going to give this a relisten and give a really in depth review. But also, this album rules. And not even just because of birdhouse in my soul.
Klonny
Props on this choice
Only bitches don't enjoy TMBG
SkankinLibrarian
I get why this is considered their best album, its good. Its well done album. Despite the jumping of music genres and styles no song felt out of place or random, like it all fit together somehow, kind of like a fool's gold loaf.
Logan
I've listened to Flood about 4 times this week and I've decided TMBG had the biggest impact on my music interests, more than any other band. They were the first songs I learned on guitar because [tmbw.net](tmbw.net) has every song tabbed out in perfect, working order.

I found out about TMBG sometime around year 2000 (I was 9 years old) because Dell included the song Older (from Long Tall Weekend). They also included Strawberryfire by The Apples in Stereo who also majorly impacted my views on music, but that's a different album of the week. I remember playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and looking for music to play in the background and only finding those two songs.

From the choral opening to Road Movie to Berlin, this album is perfect and could be dissected a million ways. Here's a few really choice cuts, though.

* Lucky Ball & Chain: I always love that little breakdown sounding part in the middle. There's so much to love about this song that subverts the Folk breakup-song trope.
* Your Racist Friend: There's a really great write-up by Meredith Graves of Perfect Pussy that carries a note about this song; "There’s no parade for a racist who sees the error of his ways. It’s not a story of redemption — it’s established that there’s no reasoning away that sort of shitty behavior, and it’s left there. No excuses, just action."
* We Want a Rock: This song always takes me by surprise at how serious Linnell sings "Buy a big prosthetic forehead and wear it on my real head. Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads." Like, who the fuck writes that?
* Whistling In The Dark: This song is top 3 for me. I once wrote a version for my high-school Acapella group. Such a simple song with so much to say and John Linnell's heavy, heavy base tone to back it up. Literally perfect.

I could keep going forever about how this band has changed my life, but I think what I love most about this band is just how professional and unceasing the Johns have been. They've been a band for 35 years; no breakups, no threatening drug issues or press releases. Just good music, always interesting, never comprimising.
Klonny
Your racist friend applies to my life so much
SkankinLibrarian
thats what you get for living in bumblefuck west virgina.
Klonny
No no I'm in East West Virginia
SkankinLibrarian
oh, northern Kentucky.
Logan
West Virginia is a song on John Linnell's State Songs EP.
?Rorshach?
I never had any real attachment to TMBG going into this album. My buddy was kind of into them in high school (and so was our chemistry teacher), but I only knew a few songs.

This record is pretty cool though. It reminds me of Weird Al if he didn't write parodies. Dudes have a crazy range and ability level that lets them leap from genre to genre with a sense of humor that still manages to never come off as insincere.

I'm glad I finally checked them out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
IPB NULL EN